Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 16,613 times

Advertisements

Good day everyone

I've never used a forum before so appologies if I get any of it wrong.

My wife and I are looking to the USA as a possible destination due to the ridiculous prices of homes in the UK, escalating living costs, and mind boggling political scene here.

We have been looking at property websites and found that Rochester, Buffalo and their surrounding area's (have noted Erie Co. Monroe Co. & Niagara) are REALLY affordable. (put it this way, we live in the cheapest part of the UK and here a SMALL house in a bad neighbourhood will cost you £100,000 / $200,000) whereas I can see lots of nice 3/4bed houses for $15,000+
why is it so cheap? is it a bad area? is it low employment? or is it just that those are normal prices there?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 01:17 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
You don't want to buy a home in those areas for 15k. That means its in a bad neighborhood. 100k will get you a decent home in those areas though.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:35 PM

thanks Garmin, so thats $100,000 yes? still 1/2 what it'd be for a half-way decent one here!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:55 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Yes, Buffalo and Rochester are REALLY affordable, especially with the weak dollar. You will be shocked at what you can get for $100,000. Jump to $200,000 and you will really do well.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 AM

6 posts, read 17,859 times
Hi guys, I am a fellow Brit that lives a lot further south (and warmer) than the Buffalo area. I live in Rockland just outside NY City. Moderator cut: soliciting However, I just got back from North Wales and was agast at the prices there especially when you factor in the currency exchange rates - AGHHH!!! So coming to the USA would be wonderful for you and in many ways if only it were easier to get a visa. What are your plans for gaining entry? Had you even thought about that aspect? Also have you researched any other areas? What was the motivation behind upstate NY? let me know if you'd like any further info and I'd be delighted to try and assist you.
Vanessa

Last edited by Marka; 03-18-2008 at 05:58 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Remember you also need a visa valid for working in the US. That's a couple of years' wait (at least).

Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 AM

We don't mind the wait for the visa, a couple of years saving would be good. these area's aren't especially the area's we want, they just seemed cheaper! and we would guess about $100,000 to be our budget for our home! we dont need great schools etc, just a reasonable sized city, ideally with a rock scene, but most importantly a safe friendly place.
Thanks

Old 03-21-2008, 08:48 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_AND_KATE View Post
We don't mind the wait for the visa, a couple of years saving would be good. these area's aren't especially the area's we want, they just seemed cheaper! and we would guess about $100,000 to be our budget for our home! we dont need great schools etc, just a reasonable sized city, ideally with a rock scene, but most importantly a safe friendly place.
Thanks
As of today, the British pould is $1.98 USD. So, whatever I put into dollars, you just need to halve it to get pounds ( sorry, I cannot get the symbol for pounds). I live outside Buffalo and you can buy a new home here in a subdivision for under $200,000 US ( or 100,000 pounds )

You can also get an older home in lots of suburbs for, on average, $115-130,000 USD or even less... one daughter got a small victorian in a suburb for $72,000 USD a few years back (about 36,000 pounds); it is 3 bedroom and 1 Bath and 2 parlors, kitchen and dining room and 2 porches, front and back. It is on a small lot, but about the size of what i expect you would get in a city there. I live on about 4 acres in the last suburb which backs up to a cornfield.... we bought it 35+ years back for less than $25,000. [Now, out here, you pay $25,000 for a single lot; this would go for about $125-140,000. I have a large vergetable garden and flower gardens. ] If you want the city itself, there actually are areas with homes that look like British rowhouses, but the prices are very high ( for here). City homes are less expensive in general. You might want a village type place: Kenmore, Williamsville, Lancaster, Orchard Park, E. Aurora. All have "villages": everything in walking distance as opposed to suburbs ( lots of driving to do).

This is one area where you will not see a big housing bubble burst since there never was a bubble -- except in a few new suburbs with very pricy areas.

There are clubs all over with music, many rock, many folk and lots more.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:00 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_AND_KATE View Post
thanks Garmin, so thats $100,000 yes? still 1/2 what it'd be for a half-way decent one here!
I live in Rochester... If you would up your housing to even $150K it would be a better investment for you and put you into better areas. You are limited here with $100K if you are looking for a really safe area and since you can do $200K I would look at Pittsford, Perinton, Fairport, Penfield, Webster, Greece, Hilton, Victor.

Check out the Rochester forum

Old 03-22-2008, 09:20 AM

16,666 posts, read 17,430,851 times
I'm a Brit and have lived in the States.

You need to do your homework properly.

You need to look into all aspects of the cost of living.

For example you'll need to have yourself covered for healthcare- no NHS!

We found all insurance costs expensive and check out property taxes.

We had a great time but don't be fooled into thinking you'll be as well off as you think.

We were company sponsored to move there and that removed some of the hassle, but there was still much to think of.

Do you have children by the way?

We have one daughter and so schooling had to be taken into account.

I'm happy for you to contact me.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York