Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:39 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times

Advertisements

Will be honest Im not familiar with this. From what I read it happens every 20 years and the constitution we follow today is from 1894.

I see a lot of teachers posting to Vote no. I'm assuming if this passes it could eventually lead to a break up of the current pension contracts?

Thoughts or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 08:45 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Will be honest Im not familiar with this. From what I read it happens every 20 years and the constitution we follow today is from 1894.

I see a lot of teachers posting to Vote no. I'm assuming if this passes it could eventually lead to a break up of the current pension contracts?

Thoughts or comments?
What the teachers don't realize is that SCOTUS is probably about to give public employees unions the death blow anyway.

I am conflicted myself. While state government is far from perfect, I'm concerned a convention could result in a state government that completely strips Upstate NY of any power.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:18 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Is there a link available to what the vote consists of?

Old 10-12-2017, 04:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
https://www.elections.ny.gov/ProposedAmendments.html

Old 10-21-2017, 05:05 PM

49 posts, read 55,681 times
There are arguments pro and against, from both conservative and liberal groups: https://nyti.ms/2uLBHcT

And cleverly conceived disinformation campaigns purporting to be psa's: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/poli...ost/106834034/

I might vote yes. Its a bit suspicious that so many special interest groups are so frantically against it, and Albany is so dysfunctional already.

Although, perhaps 'better the devil you know...'

Last edited by entropywins; 10-21-2017 at 05:27 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 06:34 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropywins View Post
There are arguments pro and against, from both conservative and liberal groups: https://nyti.ms/2uLBHcT

And cleverly conceived disinformation campaigns purporting to be psa's: Con Con: What's true, false in that viral Facebook post

I might vote yes. Its a bit suspicious that so many special interest groups are so frantically against it, and Albany is so dysfunctional already.

Although, perhaps 'better the devil you know...'
You might be right. It seems that the people saying no, like the unions and the government organizations are what is holding NYS back. If they are voting no, then I am voting yes.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:00 PM

49 posts, read 55,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
It seems that the people saying no, like the unions and the government organizations are what is holding NYS back.
I wouldn't blame unions or gov for everything, both have a role. But public sector unions do seem to have a stranglehold in NYC/NYS, and this increases the cost of living for everyone else.

Private sector labor unions formed ~100 yrs ago to help impoverished workers, who were being ruthlessly exploited by monopolist corporate titans, to get a share of the profits and some basic protections- not to enable public servants to extract artificially high salaries and benefits from the rest of the citizenry.

A list of groups against the con con- its a bunch of strange bedfellows, but yes, mostly unions: http://www.nyagainstcorruption.com/who-is-voting-no/

But this isn't just about unions. NY has problems that Albany can't or won't fix, and a constitutional convention could allow for some solutions.

Here is just one example, from the times article: Another issue is home rule — the tenet that counties and municipalities control their own destinies. Under the current state Constitution, any function or power not expressly accorded to municipalities defaults to the state. Bill Samuels, founder of Effective NY, a nonprofit research center, said the Constitution should state just the opposite.

Last edited by entropywins; 10-21-2017 at 10:13 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 10:27 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropywins View Post
I wouldn't blame unions or gov for everything, both have a role. But public sector unions do seem to have a stranglehold in NYC/NYS, and this increases the cost of living for everyone else.

Private sector labor unions formed ~100 yrs ago to help impoverished workers, who were being ruthlessly exploited by monopolist corporate titans, to get a share of the profits and some basic protections- not to enable public servants to extract artificially high salaries and benefits from the rest of the citizenry.

A list of groups against the con con- its a bunch of strange bedfellows, but yes, mostly unions: http://www.nyagainstcorruption.com/who-is-voting-no/

But this isn't just about unions. NY has problems that Albany can't or won't fix, and a constitutional convention could allow for some solutions.

Here is just one example, from the times article: Another issue is home rule — the tenet that counties and municipalities control their own destinies. Under the current state Constitution, any function or power not expressly accorded to municipalities defaults to the state. Bill Samuels, founder of Effective NY, a nonprofit research center, said the Constitution should state just the opposite.
I like that this site discusses the aspect of inequality in terms of education in regards to funding. However, I'm still waiting for someone to address the aspect of inequality in regards to opportunity. Meaning, school choice. This is why I keep bringing up the aspect of consolidation in regards to schools. You just can't leave that out not only due to funding/access inequality, but in regards to property taxes.

If the state wants to look at a way to lower property taxes, this could be another reason to take a hard look at school consolidation, as school taxes make up the biggest portion of property taxes for home owners. You can also do it in a way where people can maintain a communal/school district identity, while lowering property taxes and opening up access. For instance, you could have county zones where there is open enrollment within a certain zone that could include adjacent urban and suburban areas, as one possibility. This could be done by using current zones/school districts and bringing them under a county SD zone.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:49 PM

387 posts, read 515,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I like that this site discusses the aspect of inequality in terms of education in regards to funding. However, I'm still waiting for someone to address the aspect of inequality in regards to opportunity. Meaning, school choice. This is why I keep bringing up the aspect of consolidation in regards to schools. You just can't leave that out not only due to funding/access inequality, but in regards to property taxes.

If the state wants to look at a way to lower property taxes, this could be another reason to take a hard look at school consolidation, as school taxes make up the biggest portion of property taxes for home owners. You can also do it in a way where people can maintain a communal/school district identity, while lowering property taxes and opening up access. For instance, you could have county zones where there is open enrollment within a certain zone that could include adjacent urban and suburban areas, as one possibility. This could be done by using current zones/school districts and bringing them under a county SD zone.
Some of the rural counties have had to dissolve their local Police departments to save money. Lyons, NY dissolved their village. Consolidating schools is another way to save money, I'm guessing teachers etc. are against this. The days of having 3 schools in small villages needs to be fixed. My hometown has a population of 5000, the village has a beautiful Elementary school 1-6, Junior High 7-8, Senior high 9-12. As the village population ages they have less students every year. They continue to boost the budget every year choking property owners who's taxes also rise. The state was quick to close prisons for example consolidating services to create a hub system. Maybe a similar plan to fix the school system is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York