Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:50 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,620 times

Advertisements

I have been living in the Philly area for a few years now. I plan to visit the Albany area and Binghamton area later this year for a future move. Would like to get some advance knowledge from this forum about what are some of the good/bad/ugly regarding these two regions.

Some topics of interest:
Larger economy and whether it is a growing economy
Cosmopolitan nature, restaurant scene, culture scene, any connection to NYC, etc
The better SUNY (more specifically in the sciences)
Housing costs (to buy) for middle class living, public schools, taxes
Any environmental concerns in these area related to superfund sites and such
Safety issues

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:04 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,897 times
I think Albany wins on all of them except the housing costs. Not sure about which suny is best, though.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:05 PM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
I'll say...
Albany-Schenectady-Troy

A-S-T, but Binghamton is more diverse than people may realize. Both are about the same distance from NYC, but Binghamton is also closer to Philly and has been known to get some people from that area to move there.

I'd say Binghamton University, but UAlbany isn't bad either

Binghamton has a lower cost of living. Vestal and Maine-Endwell are a couple of the top school districts in that area. In the Albany area, perhaps Menands offers the mix of relative affordability and good schools, with arguably the most culturally diverse suburban SD in Upstate NY(after 8th grade, students have the option of going to Shaker HS in the North Colonie SD, Watervliet HS or Tech Valley HS). Both areas have other good SD's as well.

I know about the Plume area in the village of Endicott due to IBM and the water issues in Hoosick Falls in Rensselaer County in the Albany area, but not sure about others off the top of my head. Flooding may come into play in parts of the Binghamton area as well.

While parts of the cities can have more/higher crime, both metro areas have lower crime rates in comparison to most similarly sized metro areas in the country. Binghamton I believe is a little lower when looking at all metro areas nationally.

Do you have any specific criteria that you are looking for in an area/community/neighborhood?

Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,620 times
Thanks! I have only driven through Binghamton a couple of times enroute to Niagara Falls. I don't know either area to know or ask for anything specific at this point.

Just some additional info:
- Kids are on the older side (high school). Looking for academic challenge in the SUNYs.
- I used to live in Georgia, Philly cold is yet to faze me, I think I can take central NY weather.
- I will visit both areas later this year

Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Thanks! I have only driven through Binghamton a couple of times enroute to Niagara Falls. I don't know either area to know or ask for anything specific at this point.

Just some additional info:
- Kids are on the older side (high school). Looking for academic challenge in the SUNYs.
- I used to live in Georgia, Philly cold is yet to faze me, I think I can take central NY weather.
- I will visit both areas later this year
I would say that in terms of a good school district and affordability, Vestal may actually be a sleeper in that regard in Upstate NY and many of the people that live there are affiliated with Binghamton University, which is in the town. i'd say that the Vestal Hills area may work in terms of being away from potential flooding and it is a nice area of the town.

However, the Guilderland, as well as both Colonie SD’s aren’t too far from UAlbany and all 3 are good school districts. So, this may come down to what you find in terms of employment and housing.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-09-2017 at 10:03 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 06:26 AM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,646 times
Go with Albany - state capital and that is where the money is - surprise!

Old 10-10-2017, 02:07 PM

Just curious, but are you looking for things like walkability or other particular amenities? What would be your budget?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-10-2017 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 03:15 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,902 times
Quote:
I have been living in the Philly area for a few years now. I plan to visit the Albany area and Binghamton area later this year for a future move. Would like to get some advance knowledge from this forum about what are some of the good/bad/ugly regarding these two regions.

Some topics of interest:
Cosmopolitan nature, restaurant scene, culture scene, any connection to NYC, etc
Safety issues

Thank you!
Larger Economy - Albany
Culture/Restaurants - Albany
Better SUNY - Albany
Housing Costs - Good schools and lower property taxes can be found outside of the Albany area. Not exactly sure about Bing.
Environmental Concerns - Not sure
Safety - Relative to any city. Good and bad areas.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:00 PM

387 posts, read 515,949 times
Quote:

Some topics of interest:
Safety issues

Thank you!
I was in the Binghamton, Johnson City, Endicott area for the Annual Champions Golf Tour a month or so ago. Nice area overall, laid back, pretty landscape. Albany as the State Capitol has more going for it in about every category you named.Good luck...

Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 PM

US News and World Report National rankings shows Binghamton University at 87 and UAlbany at 151, for what it is worth.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...inghamton-2836

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/suny-albany-2835
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York