U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:24 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,607,531 times

Advertisements

How do Rochester, Buffalo, and Albany compare to one another in terms of the health of their economies? How are they doing relative to the rest of the country? I might be interested in relocating to New York in the future, but I'd like to keep out of the New York City area for cost-of-living reasons. Of those three, I'd be most interested in Rochester and tend to think that Buffalo is a dump.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 AM

3,234 posts, read 8,134,691 times
I'd rate Albany first, Rochester second and Buffalo third in terms of economy. But all three of them are behind many parts of the country in their economies. Apply to employers in all three cities and see what happens before you move.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:28 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,101,295 times
Parts of the city of Buffalo are a dump, but so are parts of Rochester and Albany!. You just have to look outside the rotten areas.

My husband and I purchased our home on about 4 acres in the 1970s outside Buffalo, worked in Buffalo our entire lives and retired here. The neighborhood is anything but a dump. The people are wonderful. My husband has family in Rochester and they think the people are, in general, snobby and cold. I don't know; I don't live there. It costs a lot more. So does Albany; I have family in that area.

It all depends on what you want in an area.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:57 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,926,903 times
The economy in Rochester is heading up after a real slide following the downsizing of Kodak and Xerox....medical is the big thing right now with Strong Memorial, in partnership with Highland Hospital and the University of Rochester, vying for top dog status of medical centers across the country. We also have Paychex (accounting, payroll etc) and Paetec (a telecommunications company) both which started here in Rochester and are growing rapidly. Things are looking good for Rochester IMO

Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,280,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
The economy in Rochester is heading up after a real slide following the downsizing of Kodak and Xerox....medical is the big thing right now with Strong Memorial, in partnership with Highland Hospital and the University of Rochester, vying for top dog status of medical centers across the country. We also have Paychex (accounting, payroll etc) and Paetec (a telecommunications company) both which started here in Rochester and are growing rapidly. Things are looking good for Rochester IMO
It isn't just Kodak and Xerox with the downsizing- they are the only ones who make the news. I have many friends who have been forced to leave Rochester because they can't find a job here. Pay isn't as high as the rest of the country either. I would make sure you HAVE a job set before you come to Rochester. Other than that- housing is cheap and there is a ton to do here... I love Rochester

Old 03-22-2008, 04:05 PM

623 posts, read 1,857,659 times
Trust an OUTSIDERS point of view on Rochester and Buffalo. Most of the locals in Rochester are particularly skewed toward their beloved town....which means their view of their local economy is never as bad as it actually is.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Trust an OUTSIDERS point of view on Rochester and Buffalo. Most of the locals in Rochester are particularly skewed toward their beloved town....which means their view of their local economy is never as bad as it actually is.
We might be skewed because it is a wonderful place to live... and if so many of us are skewed- there MUST be truth to that... and our economy is actually bad... that is why I am suggesting finding a job PRIOR to moving here. If you have that job security, and enjoy winter, you will love it here.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:01 PM

3,234 posts, read 8,134,691 times
Quote:
You mean like your view with untrue sweeping generalizations about the people?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:02 PM

623 posts, read 1,857,659 times
And most of you have never lived outside of Monroe County....so what do you compare it to? Trust me..... I spend a lot of time in Rochester for work. Your "wonderful" city isnt so wonderful in an outsiders eyes. Give a New Englander 10 compelling reasons to leave New England for Rochester NY...lol.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
And most of you have never lived outside of Monroe County....so what do you compare it to? Trust me..... I spend a lot of time in Rochester for work. Your "wonderful" city isnt so wonderful in an outsiders eyes. Give a New Englander 10 compelling reasons to leave New England for Rochester NY...lol.

I have lived outside NYS and am moving to Indiana soon. I have family living all over the US and travel frequently... but I am always happy to come home and honestly believe I live in one of the best places on Earth... in fact I HAVE lived in one of the best 100 Places To LIVE... FAIRPORT NY ... look it up... I will miss Rochester and what this fabulous city has to offer. It is a very family oriented, friendly and entertaining city... rich in history, pride, and community. There are so many wonderful things this amazing city has to offer, but it is people like YOU who give it a bad name... and you don't even live here. I am having difficulty understanding why your distaste for Western NY runs so strong, and why you feel the need to spread such emotions... what do you gain from that? your continual generalizations don't paint you in a good light. I guess it is good for all of us you don't live here.

Last edited by skbs; 03-22-2008 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York