U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,513 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are hoping to buy a home in the Kingston/Saugerties area next summer. I'll be attending SUNY New Paltz for my graduate degree and doing PT work on the side, but he has a Master's degree in Science Ed and is currently working as a high school Physics and Earth Science teacher. Does anyone local to the area have an idea of the teaching job market upstate? Should we be concerned about him getting a science teaching position for the 2018-2019 school year? All the research we've done so far has made it look like there is a pretty dismal lack of openings, but we also haven't been looking at the right time of year.

I went to college in the area so I am relatively familiar with the surrounding towns and counties. We are hoping to buy in or near Kingston but he would of course be willing to commute a reasonable distance. We both love the area and want to settle there long-term, but if there's a snowball's chance in hell that he'll be able to find a job at all, we need to start formulating Plan B. Any advice or insight you all might have would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 08:39 AM

81,593 posts, read 109,487,712 times
Have you looked here?: https://www.pnwboces.org/olas/#!/default

Old 11-27-2017, 10:43 AM

1,911 posts, read 1,822,044 times
You probably know that teaching is one of the better paying professions in the Hudson Valley and so the market is extremely competitive. I have heard specifically that elementary and the humanities are difficult to break into right now but that things are easier for people with prior experience.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:30 PM

5,210 posts, read 5,400,948 times
Hubby would find it easier to get a teaching job if he also had a math and/or computer science certification. Also, he could look into teaching at a community college or SUNY 2 year college at the adjunct or instructor level.

New York Community college Campus Jobs - Faculty, Staff and Student Positions

Old 12-02-2017, 10:48 AM

97 posts, read 136,302 times
It is very competitive to get a teaching position in the Hudson Valley. As noted by another, teachers make great salaries in Ulster County (New Paltz, Kingston, Saugerties areas). These salaries are comparable to NYC suburbs school districts. There are many colleges in the region that have teacher education programs that flood the market. Many school district like hiring candidates that grew up in the school district. Also, nepotism runs rampant in some districts. Since there are so many candidates for the few positions they often go with teachers that have some previous teaching experience.
Does your husband have prior teaching experience in a public school? To be honest it may take a few years to land a job as a teacher. I wish you luck.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,513 times
Thanks for the replies! Yes, he does have experience--this is his 4th year teaching in the NYC public schools and his Masters is from Columbia Teachers College, if that would make a difference upstate. I think he is a really strong candidate but since his cert is so specific (Physics, Earth Science, or middle school general science) we might be gambling too much on a small area with few openings for those specific subjects. We may end up laying low in the city for another year and watching the job boards to see what the chances will look like. Thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York