Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 06:41 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Oh yea right - because the other liberals likely to be running in the primaries are obviously so much more appealing to registered dem voters

You think your animosity might be clouding your logic? Or are you just not very bright?
Either is certainly possible. Who knows on an anonymous message board?

Cuomo is not an attractive candidate. He has a strong NY pedigree but will this translate to the national stage? If all of the other candidates are weak, then fine, but one would hope that they field some good ones in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 10:11 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Either is certainly possible. Who knows on an anonymous message board?

Cuomo is not an attractive candidate. He has a strong NY pedigree but will this translate to the national stage? If all of the other candidates are weak, then fine, but one would hope that they field some good ones in 2020.

Well the old curse was that no politician from NYS would win the WH in recent memory, even the Clinton woman lost *twice*. Then came DT but since he's not a career or whatever politician there is that.

Can't see Cuomo or even the other rumored candidate (Bill de Blasio) winning a national race for WH. They both seem to embody the same elite, progressive, liberal democrat ideals that turned people off the Clintons and have been costing democrats governor seats across the mid-west and south.

Only way can see either or any similar candidate win is if this country takes a huge lurch to the left in 2020, which is iffy.

Democrats need someone more center, who can speak to the vast unhappy middle and working class; that is the people who voted for DT in large numbers.

While GOP tax reform is not now nor may ever be hugely popular, don't think the tax and spend Cuomo or DeBlasio democrats will be welcomed either.

Besides what exactly has Cuomo done that is so great for *all* of New York State? Yes, downstate is booming but that is all coming off New York City and to an extent Westchester and Long Island. Upstate is still a mess, and that includes the entrenched and morally corrupt Albany. Something AC vowed to clean up, but I guess he forgot.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:17 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well the old curse was that no politician from NYS would win the WH in recent memory, even the Clinton woman lost *twice*. Then came DT but since he's not a career or whatever politician there is that.

Can't see Cuomo or even the other rumored candidate (Bill de Blasio) winning a national race for WH. They both seem to embody the same elite, progressive, liberal democrat ideals that turned people off the Clintons and have been costing democrats governor seats across the mid-west and south.

Only way can see either or any similar candidate win is if this country takes a huge lurch to the left in 2020, which is iffy.

Democrats need someone more center, who can speak to the vast unhappy middle and working class; that is the people who voted for DT in large numbers.

While GOP tax reform is not now nor may ever be hugely popular, don't think the tax and spend Cuomo or DeBlasio democrats will be welcomed either.

Besides what exactly has Cuomo done that is so great for *all* of New York State? Yes, downstate is booming but that is all coming off New York City and to an extent Westchester and Long Island. Upstate is still a mess, and that includes the entrenched and morally corrupt Albany. Something AC vowed to clean up, but I guess he forgot.
I think where I disagree is that the Democrats need someone more center overall. Bernie would not have been considered center by most and his chances of getting the presidential election would probably have been quite good, though he never got through the primaries.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:13 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Both parties need to have a candidate that is more center and speaks for the core of that party not the extreme fringe. Any candidate from NY will have an uphill battle trying to appeal to a national audience, what has Andy done that will make him attractive on a national stage? Of course with such strong opinions of the GOP right now who can say how far left people will vote to get away from them..

Old 12-31-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Both parties need to have a candidate that is more center and speaks for the core of that party not the extreme fringe. Any candidate from NY will have an uphill battle trying to appeal to a national audience, what has Andy done that will make him attractive on a national stage? Of course with such strong opinions of the GOP right now who can say how far left people will vote to get away from them..

Don't know what happened, but by end of AC's early terms he could do no wrong far as DNC was concerned and was a serious contender for 2016; getting gay marriage passed in NY and all. However things soon went south to the point it was ABC (Anyone But Cuomo) by the time 2015/2016 rolled around. The guy was almost basically ignored at the democratic convention.

How much of this came from the carpet bagging Clintons one does not know, but strongly suspect they and or their supporters were in on the deal.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

Quite honestly the democrats need a clean slate; time to ditch the Clintons, Pelosi, and more of the old guard; they are just too toxic and polarizing.

Say what you want about the GOP but at least they had a "come to Jesus" moment and did some major housecleaning. Plenty of retirements and in some cases deaths opened up seats for new blood. That and or voters showed a good number to the door.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:54 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Here's a stupid law in NYS--I'm a landlord, and every year I have to fill out an "anti-arson" application. Separate for each property. Every year, it is the exact same paperwork. It only costs me time, but my insurance company must send me the paperwork and presumably review each one. I'm sure there's a whole unnecessary department for this.

Oh, and also, the "minimum wage" just went up again as of the 1st of the year. I've got nothing against people earning more money. I'm very much for that, the key word being "earn". If it isn't earned, it doesn't mean a thing.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:38 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think where I disagree is that the Democrats need someone more center overall. Bernie would not have been considered center by most and his chances of getting the presidential election would probably have been quite good, though he never got through the primaries.
An angry Brooklyn Jew turned independent senator from Vermont would not have won. He is unelectable. Crazy Joe Biden could have won.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:35 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
We all know by now that income taxes have been lowered for millions of New Yorkers. Did you know that Andrew Cuomo has just imposed the Paid Family Leave Act, in which every EMPLOYEE will be paying for?
While it won't appear to be much, about $1.65 a week per employee, in total that is over $10 million taken out of the free marketplace in NYS.

As I've said before, NYS will not benefit as much from the lower federal tax rate, because NYS taxes are to high and growing.

Not only that, he's burning up because many high-taxed New Yorkers have always relied on that property tax deduction. He's a tax-and-spend liberal, and now he's blaming Trump.

Memo to Cuomo: Lower the damn taxes!

Old 01-02-2018, 02:05 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Oh, and also, the "minimum wage" just went up again as of the 1st of the year. I've got nothing against people earning more money. I'm very much for that, the key word being "earn". If it isn't earned, it doesn't mean a thing.
Agreed. These types of policies just promote averageness and freeloading mentality. Same problem I have with unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York