Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are home prices going to fall of rise?
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 0-5% 12 17.39%
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 5.1-10% 12 17.39%
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 10.1-15% 5 7.25%
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 15.1+ 5 7.25%
You feel that the market over the next year will NEITHER FALL OR RISE but rather STABILIZE. 25 36.23%
You feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 0-5% 5 7.25%
You feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 5.1-10% 1 1.45%
ou feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 10.1-15% 2 2.90%
You feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 15.1+ 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:38 AM

202 posts, read 470,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateny View Post
They are lobbying, just not for the average person, the people who lobby do it for the people with money.

As far as immigration, the problem is our US government, not the immigrants themselves, they are just here trying to make a living and our government allows it because it suits what those in power want. When you blame the immigrants themselves, you are doing exactly what is perfect for the government, distracting yourself from the real problem, then allowing them to turn it into a racial issue taking the focus off the real problem. This is nothing new, racism has been used as a tool against the working and middle class forever, since the times of slavery. It divides the largest class of people in half and this is why the upper class is able to do whatever they please. If you look back in U.S. history, anyone who has spoken out about class/race/labor issues has been killed, this is no coincidence.
this is sooo true.... so true.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engsmom View Post
we work hard and I don't believe we should have to sacrafice everything b/c that is the only way you can achieve the dream of owning a home on Long Island....
HAVEN'T YOU HEARD? IT'S NOT CALLED THE "AMERICAN DREAM" ANYMORE. IT'S MORE LIKE THE "AMERICAN SACRIFICE"...

Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 AM

62 posts, read 329,915 times
I agree with you about it being the "american sacrafice"...but I do think Long Island is the extreme!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engsmom View Post
I agree with you about it being the "american sacrafice"...but I do think Long Island is the extreme!!!
no you are wrong there LI is not the extream... Take a look at Plainview as an example... Its proximity to NY is about an hour and a home can be had there for about $450 that same home can NOT be had in White plains Westchester for example. Here the same home starts at $600K I disagree its worse in Westchester. You wont even see a home come on for less than $500K in White plains with white plains schools... which are actually worse than Plainview schools.

Isn't it funny that we are arguing over which place is worse... that is because better is no longer within our grasp. its sad.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:05 PM

AND if you really want to see some inflated prices check out the San Fransisco area in CA. I was blown away... Shacks that are built on top of each other and I mean shacks start at a whopping $750K. That hurts Ouch!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:18 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The plan is really for the middle class to move out of NYC metro. This plan is supported all the way to the top. With the middle class out and the new illegal alien working class wages can be lowered and the rich can get richer. The middle class is a vestige here and is currently being replaced by low wage illegal immigrants who will do the work of the middle class for much cheaper wages.
I'm always leery of "conspiracy theory" thinking, and this notion's no exception.

First of all, please define "middle class" on LI and describe the work they do. The prevailing sentiment is that nowadays, "middle class" means someone making between 50-75K/yr. Someone earning those numbers is almost certainly a highschool grad, and most likely has 2 or 4 years of college under their belt as well. (But those in the construction or skilled trades industries are an exception to this, IMHO.) Thus, the majority of the "middle class" are working in office or retail environments, wouldn't you agree? Otherwise they would not be making those "middle class" numbers.

So please explain to me how these people are, or will be, replaced by "low wage illegal immigrants who will do the work of the middle class for much cheaper wages". By saying "replaced by", you're claiming that the "low wage illegal immigrants" will be doing the SAME JOBS as the current middle class population is now doing. How and why is that possibly going to happen? Are banks, insurance companies, and the myriad of other mainstream employers going to suddenly start hiring people with no SS#s, sometimes limited English-language skills, and a lower level of education? I very much doubt it!

I'm not denying that the cost of living is pushing an ever-increasing percentage of people in this country, and in certain areas more than others, to their financial limits; but to portray this as some sort of Evil SocioEconomic Plot is, IMHO, a bit beyond rational credibility.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
I'm always leery of "conspiracy theory" thinking, and this notion's no exception.

First of all, please define "middle class" on LI and describe the work they do. The prevailing sentiment is that nowadays, "middle class" means someone making between 50-75K/yr. Someone earning those numbers is almost certainly a highschool grad, and most likely has 2 or 4 years of college under their belt as well. (But those in the construction or skilled trades industries are an exception to this, IMHO.) Thus, the majority of the "middle class" are working in office or retail environments, wouldn't you agree? Otherwise they would not be making those "middle class" numbers.

So please explain to me how these people are, or will be, replaced by "low wage illegal immigrants who will do the work of the middle class for much cheaper wages". By saying "replaced by", you're claiming that the "low wage illegal immigrants" will be doing the SAME JOBS as the current middle class population is now doing. How and why is that possibly going to happen? Are banks, insurance companies, and the myriad of other mainstream employers going to suddenly start hiring people with no SS#s, sometimes limited English-language skills, and a lower level of education? I very much doubt it!

I'm not denying that the cost of living is pushing an ever-increasing percentage of people in this country, and in certain areas more than others, to their financial limits; but to portray this as some sort of Evil SocioEconomic Plot is, IMHO, a bit beyond rational credibility.
I think the middle class is defined as blue collar and white collar workers who earn the salary number that you mentioned. However, I think you missed the point OvertaxedOnLI... the point is that this influx will further strain the areas economy by utilizing our welfare system and aid to these folks further increasing the tax dollar spent by the middle class... I don't think that anyone is saying that they will replace the whole middle class. i agree with you that they can't/won't. However, when our kids want to work in these labor industries, lets just take McDonald's as an example. who do you think is going to get the job? My kid or the kid who will work for $3.00 less an hour? this puts an indirect strain on the middle class.

I am not blaming the immigrants. Ihateny said it best that they are not the problem and just want to make a living like all of us do to get a better life. I am , however blaming our government for allowing this kind of hardship to fall squarely on the middle class with no relief in sight. It horrible.

Could you explain what you meant when you said "But those in the construction or skilled trades industries are an exception to this, IMHO." Just wondering.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM

I was standing on line at my local post office and overheard two wealthy housewifes saying how they are cashing out of the real estate market by selling off thier properties and how everyone (thier rich freinds and family) is looking for thier piece of the pie. Traditionally/historically the rich sell off thier real estate and buy into the stock market at times like this. Is this happening in our area right now? is the boom over? when is the bubble going to explode? I see the stretch marks as she looks like a beat up old lady who has given birth once a year for the past seven...

Old 02-20-2007, 04:44 PM

63 posts, read 218,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post

The person you quoted has it wrong, but i corrected it and if you want more info I can gladly provide you with the facts.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:55 PM

62 posts, read 329,915 times
I know that Long Island is not "as bad" as other area's of the country...but if you want to get very specific and technical let's just say the Metro NY area - including LI, NYC, Weschester, Rockland, etc...I do know the further north you go in NY the better it can be with the exception of major cities and or area's like Buffalo, Albany and Rochester, however outside these area's in the "burbs" you can find affordable housing...and consider this...that employers today are barely giving their standard 3% raises to employee's there fore making it almost impossible to keep up with the cost of living, inflation, and then lets just say for those commuters going to NYC, that the MTA/LIRR raises its rates once again...all of this coupled with sky rocketing home prices make it impossible to reach that so called american dream...but that's right, the illegal immigrants who live in house down the block in Central Islip (where mind you homes are in the $400K range) from my parents b/c they live in a home w/ their entire family, work off the books and are able to afford a home b/c one family member is here legally but the rest of us who "play by the rules" so to speak, can't do it here on LI...doesn't make sense does it??? And mind you we make a good income by comparison...where we are above that $75K range, have good credit, but still can't afford a $3500 mortgage each month. Just don't see the logic. I don't see the bubble bursting anytime soon...people keep saying it will, but I can't see how this is possible....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York