Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are home prices going to fall of rise?
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 0-5% 12 17.39%
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 5.1-10% 12 17.39%
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 10.1-15% 5 7.25%
You feel it is a buyers market and the home prices over the next year will FALL by 15.1+ 5 7.25%
You feel that the market over the next year will NEITHER FALL OR RISE but rather STABILIZE. 25 36.23%
You feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 0-5% 5 7.25%
You feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 5.1-10% 1 1.45%
ou feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 10.1-15% 2 2.90%
You feel it is a sellers market and the home prices over the next year will INCREASE by 15.1+ 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:03 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times

Advertisements

I am done arguing with you. You are simply a know it all. By the way the taxes are not the same.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:06 PM

202 posts, read 470,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I am done arguing with you. You are simply a know it all. By the way the taxes are not the same.
I don't claim to know it all, nor am I arguing with you. I understand that we are talking about YOUR home here. However, I know my industry very well and have over two decades of expierience. None-the-less I never stop for a chance to learn and educate myself. I would urge you to talk to your tax accessor at your local town hall. you will find that due to the housing demand in our area and the need to expand our tazx base that you will actually benefit from building new than buying existing.

I know that you have been on this board trying to sell you home and I commend you for dropping your price. all I am saying is that if you droped it enough than you would of sold by now. this is the harsh reality and you don't need me to tell you this. I wish you luck in selling your home, it must be tough in this current market and unfortunatly for the sellers out there it will get worse before it gets any better.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:48 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by house-hunter View Post
exterior walls were commonly built from 2x4 studs instead of the now mandated 2x6's due to the new energy conservation code which mandates what the minimum insulation must be on the building envelope. ....also floor and roof construction were built with 2x6 where now they are built with 2x10 or even 2x12. .... Older homes were built with plaster lath, cribbing and mesh on walls and are now built out of Sheetrock. on the floors you now have toungue and groove 3/4 plywood where in the day they used slatted 1/2 x 3 wood boards ...It is unnecessary to frame interior walls out of 2x6 12" oc. when you have got engineered tji's ad gluelam ect this is a complete waste. ... crawl space vs. full basement has nothing to do with being older or new construction and just has to do with ewhere the water table is and what the budget of the homeowner was when the home was built.....Buyers should demand more of their builders and sellers. don't settle for second best ever.
We could go 'round and 'round for awhile on construction preferences, I'm sure -- which I've no intention of doing, but I do want to say that when I built that second house it was in the early 1990s before the current building codes went into effect; thus at that time my house was "overbuilt" according to existing common practice. And as a matter of fact the roof framing WAS done in 2x12s.

I think you and I are thinking of different things when we say "older" homes. The homes you describe that have lath-and-plaster, wood board flooring and even in many cases literally tree-trunks as foundation support (!) are what I call "vintage" homes... something built, say, in 1940 and earlier (often much earlier!). The post-WWII houses built from the mid-late 1940s through the 1970s are what I call "older" homes (you did mention the 1971 ranch in Patchogue as being an "older" home so that's what I picked up on).

As far as the 2x6 interior framing, this happens to be a personal preference of ours. The house/size was such that the heavier framing worked well from both a structural and a design (appearance) standpoint. And we had no problem using conventional insulation at the time (early 1990s); we didn't want blown-in insulation. The house was also designed with chases for all the HVAC ductwork and plumbing. The foundation (full-height basement) was indeed poured concrete combined with structural steel supports and full waterproofing on the exterior. Microlams were also used in many areas, because of the size and in particular the unusual depth (front to back) of the house, as well as several very large rooms resulting in wide spans.

When we sold that house, the buyer's inspector (who has been in that business for many years) told us that it was the best-built house he had ever inspected on Long Island.

I agree with you about the foundation types. I was only saying that if I were, for example, comparing a newly built home on a slab with an older home with either a basement or a cement-floored crawlspace, I would consider the slab as a "strike against" the newly built house. But again that is just personal preference.

I completely agree that buyers should demand more of builders and have higher standards for what they are willing to spend their money on, housewise.

Last edited by OvertaxedOnLI; 02-27-2007 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-27-2007, 03:20 PM

It is interesting if you view the North Carolina forum where houses are being built like crazy there are so many complaints about the builders down there.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
It is interesting if you view the North Carolina forum where houses are being built like crazy there are so many complaints about the builders down there.
I have personally stepped foot in new construction in NC and development construction there as well and can tell you that home builders there have much more pride in building than up here. I really don't know why that is. but its true... I don't know who those people are that say these things but my comment comes from expierience.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:12 PM

Overtaxed... I was kinda hoping that we could go round and round on construction as you give a valued insight to things... again, what you and I are syaing overall is not too different from one another.

I highly commend you for overbuilding that home and only hope that you had enough of an educated person who was willing to buy the home from you at a fair cost. thank you for your insight.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 PM

I figured that I start this up again for anyone who wants to jump on board and vote ...

Old 03-07-2007, 03:50 PM

5,521 posts, read 7,109,883 times
Let this thread die a natural death already. It's played out!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:05 PM

Thanks NYTom my thoughts exactly!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Let this thread die a natural death already. It's played out!

whats the matter are you trying to sell a home too? Awhhhh poor baby, can't sell the home for a cool mill and realized that you missed the boat. Its a harsh reality isn't it?

If you don't want to be a part of this thread than please be my guest and go elsewhere. No one asked you to subscribe to it. use that little mouse of yours and click away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York