Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,347 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Lifelong Queens resident here! We are in our 40s, 3 kids: 10, 8, and 3. We are considering a move up to Dutchess County but we are concerned about the schools. We cannot afford to buy house here in Queens . But our two older children are in special-education classes and we need to make sure that the school districts can provide what they need . Any suggestions on areas?? Districts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 07:10 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
I have a few friends that live in dutchess county. They love it up there. I dont think the schools are bad, unless you are in one of the "inner city" zones like Beacon, certain areas of poughkeepsie, etc.
We moved up from S.I. 15 years ago to putnam westchester border, couldnt be happier. Look at it this way, the schools couldnt be any worse than NYC. Go for it!

Old 12-26-2017, 08:55 PM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I have a few friends that live in dutchess county. They love it up there. I dont think the schools are bad, unless you are in one of the "inner city" zones like Beacon, certain areas of poughkeepsie, etc.
We moved up from S.I. 15 years ago to putnam westchester border, couldnt be happier. Look at it this way, the schools couldnt be any worse than NYC. Go for it!
Is Beacon THAT bad? It looks like it depends on the elementary school and the middle and high schools are average by state standards: Beacon City School District - USA.com™

More information: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000053483

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000053468
https://data.nysed.gov/reportcard.ph...d=1&gradrate=1 (87% Grad Rate)

As for districts, what about Arlington Central, which is one of the biggest districts in Dutchess County(if not the biggest? Arlington Central School District - USA.com™

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000053261

Perhaps Spackenkill: Spackenkill Union Free School District - USA.com™

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000053252

Another one: Wappingers Central School District - USA.com™

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000053180 (Is actually the biggest district in the county)

Old 01-06-2018, 07:11 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
There goes CK painting a rosy picture based off numbers. Which can be skewed. Schools pass most if not all students these days, but really that is another topic altogether.
Eslteacher, you are from queens. You and I know very well the challenges and struggles children, teachers and funding face going to schools in lower income areas. So, if you had the choice why would you?

Here is another citydata post that to be fair to my old pal CK discusses both sides of the story.
Good luck.
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...beacon-ny.html

Old 01-06-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
There goes CK painting a rosy picture based off numbers. Which can be skewed. Schools pass most if not all students these days, but really that is another topic altogether.
Eslteacher, you are from queens. You and I know very well the challenges and struggles children, teachers and funding face going to schools in lower income areas. So, if you had the choice why would you?

Here is another citydata post that to be fair to my old pal CK discusses both sides of the story.
Good luck.
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...beacon-ny.html
Actually I just asked a question due to the information, as it is a city that has been growing and academic information looks like a mixed bag. From 2000-2014 the city actually grew in population 4.56%(4.13% within the SD boundaries): Beacon, NY - USA.com™

It’s poverty rate doesn’t look to be that high, relatively speaking, according to this: Beacon, NY Historical Poverty Level Data - USA.com™

Beacon City School District Historical Poverty Level Data - USA.com™

I understand that it is a diverse small city and in turn, people automatically assume what a place is off of that, but may not be the case. Granted, there is a median household income gap: Beacon, NY Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™ but I don’t think we’re talking dirt poor. Thing look different when you view such information by the school district boundaries though: Beacon City School District Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™

Some in the area may go the private route and send their children to say Lourdes in Poughkeepsie. I don’t know.

Hence, why I asked versus giving a suggestion for Beacon Schools.

Another thing to consider OP, is that schools that are highly rated many times are the schools with less special education support and those that are ok/above average may actually offer more special education support. For instance, there have been families in a highly regarded school district in the Syracuse area that have moved to an adjacent school district that is solid/good/ok(whatever you want to say), but has more support for special education students. So, sometimes the online rankings aren’t the “be all, end all” for every family. That may be another thing to keep in mind.

Just so people don’t think I’m making that story up: Special ed complaints at F-M: Family moving out after school denies service to son | syracuse.com

F-M teacher files lawsuit against district alleging officials defamed him, family | syracuse.com

F-M violated state law in the way it handled some special education students | syracuse.com

To be fair, F-M is a very good SD and is always a top 3-5 SD in terms of the Upstate NY school district ranking list, but this is to show that needs will vary depending upon the student/family, regardless of rankings.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-06-2018 at 08:00 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 03:33 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,545,437 times
We just made the move from The Bronx up to Dutchess over he summer after house hunting for nearly 2 years. (This is our 1st home, we started searching in the bronx then westchester and ended up in dutchess)

We could not be happier! We have 3 boys - 1 of which is in 2nd grade and the middle one will be entering K in Sept.
Our elementary school is great and our son loves it! We are happy, it is very family oriented, they don't play any games up here, it's just completely different than the city in a good way. Sports and activities are big up here as well, whereas in the Bronx we struggled to find a decent after school or sports program for our oldest kid. Only thing i do miss from our previous elementary school is that they kids wore uniforms, up here there is no uniform unless its a catholic school. We will always be city kids but I tell you once you make the move there's no turning back. (at least for us) Now we go to the Bronx to visit and I itch to get out and back up to our home!

Old 01-24-2018, 07:38 PM

56 posts, read 91,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalChubsta View Post
We just made the move from The Bronx up to Dutchess over he summer after house hunting for nearly 2 years. (This is our 1st home, we started searching in the bronx then westchester and ended up in dutchess)

We could not be happier! We have 3 boys - 1 of which is in 2nd grade and the middle one will be entering K in Sept.
Our elementary school is great and our son loves it! We are happy, it is very family oriented, they don't play any games up here, it's just completely different than the city in a good way. Sports and activities are big up here as well, whereas in the Bronx we struggled to find a decent after school or sports program for our oldest kid. Only thing i do miss from our previous elementary school is that they kids wore uniforms, up here there is no uniform unless its a catholic school. We will always be city kids but I tell you once you make the move there's no turning back. (at least for us) Now we go to the Bronx to visit and I itch to get out and back up to our home!
Where in Dutchess did you move to?

Old 01-28-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually I just asked a question due to the information, as it is a city that has been growing and academic information looks like a mixed bag. From 2000-2014 the city actually grew in population 4.56%(4.13% within the SD boundaries): Beacon, NY - USA.com™

It’s poverty rate doesn’t look to be that high, relatively speaking, according to this: Beacon, NY Historical Poverty Level Data - USA.com™

Beacon City School District Historical Poverty Level Data - USA.com™

I understand that it is a diverse small city and in turn, people automatically assume what a place is off of that, but may not be the case. Granted, there is a median household income gap: Beacon, NY Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™ but I don’t think we’re talking dirt poor. Thing look different when you view such information by the school district boundaries though: Beacon City School District Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™

Some in the area may go the private route and send their children to say Lourdes in Poughkeepsie. I don’t know.

Hence, why I asked versus giving a suggestion for Beacon Schools.

Another thing to consider OP, is that schools that are highly rated many times are the schools with less special education support and those that are ok/above average may actually offer more special education support. For instance, there have been families in a highly regarded school district in the Syracuse area that have moved to an adjacent school district that is solid/good/ok(whatever you want to say), but has more support for special education students. So, sometimes the online rankings aren’t the “be all, end all” for every family. That may be another thing to keep in mind.

Just so people don’t think I’m making that story up: Special ed complaints at F-M: Family moving out after school denies service to son | syracuse.com

F-M teacher files lawsuit against district alleging officials defamed him, family | syracuse.com

F-M violated state law in the way it handled some special education students | syracuse.com

To be fair, F-M is a very good SD and is always a top 3-5 SD in terms of the Upstate NY school district ranking list, but this is to show that needs will vary depending upon the student/family, regardless of rankings.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but this article kind of illustrates the point about school choices people from Beacon may make: https://davesjoint.net/2017/10/03/be...ds-top-talent/

Old 02-06-2018, 09:30 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,545,437 times
Hi!

We are in the Town of Poughkeepsie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by square85 View Post
Where in Dutchess did you move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York