Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 03:35 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,268,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Sacrilege!...

And remember NYers have STAR so its practically raining free money in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 06:14 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For Durham-Chapel Hill, yes by about $1k. For Raleigh, no. Source: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm

If Raleigh-Durham were together, it would be lower due to the Raleigh portion having more people and it’s average annual income is about $6k lower than the Nassau-Suffolk Metro Division figure. Per capita income is about $20k higher in the Nassau-Suffolk Metro Division than either Durham-Chapel Hill or Raleigh areas according to 2016 information from the Bureau of Economic Analysis. According to the BEA, the Nassau-Suffolk Average Earnings per job according to 2016 numbers was $64,514. For Durham-Chapel Hill it is $65,190 and for Raleigh it is $56,555. Source: https://bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cfm?re...step=1&isuri=1

With that said, I get the point.

Median income would likely be much different and that source is nice due to seeing things by occupation.

This also depends on the area, as outside of Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Midland in TX, no other Southern area has an Annual mean(average) wage in above $50k. In NY State, Besides the Nassau-Suffolk metro division, the Ithaca, Albany and Dutchess-Putnam metro division areas are above $50k.
We are getting off topic here. As a retiree my income only raises incrementally when I receive COLAs intermittently. When I crossed the NY state line southbound I was able to put $7000 in my pocket that I had to pay for local property and school tax. Now, I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or the other to stay or leave NY. I can see that young families with children might think the school tax burden isn't a burden at all. But for myself, it was a major deciding factor.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:21 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
And remember NYers have STAR so its practically raining free money in NY.
If your banking on that I have a trailer lot to sell you....

Old 02-15-2018, 06:43 PM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
We are getting off topic here. As a retiree my income only raises incrementally when I receive COLAs intermittently. When I crossed the NY state line southbound I was able to put $7000 in my pocket that I had to pay for local property and school tax. Now, I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or the other to stay or leave NY. I can see that young families with children might think the school tax burden isn't a burden at all. But for myself, it was a major deciding factor.
My post was simply in response to another post.

I’ve actually stated on here that retirees leaving makes sense, dare I say even if taxes were “low” in NY for other reasons.

As an aside, the thing that will always make NY State different is that it has always been an immigrant gateway into the US state due to its geography. Meaning, NYC has always been a port of entry for immigrants, in which many of the posters on here descend from. There will likely be some influx of people, given how this country has been built and formed. So, immigration just comes with the territory in terms of the state’s population, as that has always been the case.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:29 AM

Once again NY tops the list on worst states to retire in https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...8&kwp_1=978761. Its sad that they state "The second-highest living costs of any state, behind only Hawaii."

But at least you have STAR to level the field....

Old 02-16-2018, 01:26 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,674,718 times
Quote:
Once again NY tops the list on worst states to retire in https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...8&kwp_1=978761. Its sad that they state "The second-highest living costs of any state, behind only Hawaii."

LOL I love when people try to say STAR helps. I remember looking at a house in Schenectady and even with STAR the annual taxes were north of $5K. For an old as hell place in Schenectady.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:08 PM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:

Now you know better...I’ve rehashed this many times about cost of living. So, I’ll let this older, but still pretty relevant article explain this: Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in - Capitol Report - MarketWatch

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf

For more recent information, look here: https://www.bea.gov/regional/index.htm (Regional Price Parities)

Same with STAR, as it is to reduce property taxes.

That’s all...

Old 02-16-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Now you know better...I’ve rehashed this many times about cost of living. So, I’ll let this older, but still pretty relevant article explain this: Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in - Capitol Report - MarketWatch

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf

For more recent information, look here: https://www.bea.gov/regional/index.htm (Regional Price Parities)

Same with STAR, as it is to reduce property taxes.

That’s all...
I'm missing something your own sites shows NY as the second most expensive state and at least Kiplinger is a nationally recognized publication. I realize its from 2016 but has NY economics done that big a change over the past year?

STAR is a joke and does nothing to make the egregious tax burden comparable to the majority of the country. I was being sarcastic....

Old 02-16-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
LOL I love when people try to say STAR helps. I remember looking at a house in Schenectady and even with STAR the annual taxes were north of $5K. For an old as hell place in Schenectady.
I was being sarcastic...

Old 02-16-2018, 02:39 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,674,718 times
Quote:
I was being sarcastic...
I know, but I've actually heard people try to convince me that STAR was some sort of life saver when in actuality it's just another distraction created by the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York