Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,253 times

Advertisements

Hello:
Should I be concerned about buying a home in Kingston (NY) because of the crime?
Ten years ago in this forum, people were skeptical.
Have things changed significantly?
Is it unsafe to walk alone in town after dark?
Will we be afraid that our house will be robbed or car broken in to?
It is difficult to understand the statistics- lower than NY overall, but higher for property crimes etc.
Please do help, I would be so appreciative for any input.
My thanks in advance.
PP

Last edited by PetitPhillippe; 03-19-2018 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 09:27 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I have a sister that lives up there, but not right in town. She keeps talking about how upscale and expensive it's getting.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:49 PM

143 posts, read 111,601 times
As with any other place, Kingston has a few areas that just are not good. On the other hand, there are several very middle class neighborhoods that I wouldn't hesitate to live in. Although I've never lived there, I have been dealing with Kingston my entire life, usually there shopping or going through it at least 2x a week, and I can't really say that any area there "scares" me. A section around midtown is probably about the worst. Uptown Kingston area is very walkable, has many eclectic businesses and restaurants. One of the main drags, Ulster Avenue, has many residential streets off of it with modest, neatly kept homes. Further down is most of your grocery stores, Walmart, Target, etc. There is also the Rondout section closer to the river which has many restaurants, shops etc. To the best of my knowledge, stay away from streets branching off of Broadway midtown, and you should be fine.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:30 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
As with any other place, Kingston has a few areas that just are not good. On the other hand, there are several very middle class neighborhoods that I wouldn't hesitate to live in. Although I've never lived there, I have been dealing with Kingston my entire life, usually there shopping or going through it at least 2x a week, and I can't really say that any area there "scares" me. A section around midtown is probably about the worst. Uptown Kingston area is very walkable, has many eclectic businesses and restaurants. One of the main drags, Ulster Avenue, has many residential streets off of it with modest, neatly kept homes. Further down is most of your grocery stores, Walmart, Target, etc. There is also the Rondout section closer to the river which has many restaurants, shops etc. To the best of my knowledge, stay away from streets branching off of Broadway midtown, and you should be fine.
This is 100% on target. Part of midtown is and always has been a little iffy but the rest of Kingston is generally just fine.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:38 PM

615 posts, read 448,342 times
^^ Yea.
Avoid area immediately around Broadway and Henry St (NY32), and you'll be fine.
Rest of Kingston is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: