Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 03:20 PM

66 posts, read 98,760 times

Advertisements

Poughkeepsie opinion posts are not up to date. I'd like to know your opinions of the area regarding, schools, safety, events and friendliness. Any and all opinions on all things Poughkeepsie would be welcome. I am retired and looking for a home so I can do gardening, have a couple of hens and just get involved in community activities. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 05:41 PM

93,280 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Are you referring to the Poughkeepsie area or the city itself?

Old 04-07-2018, 06:37 PM

180 posts, read 214,702 times
Any current opinions will probably be roughly the same as the dated ones you're reading. City Of is okay with some crappy neighborhoods, regions within the Town Of are safe if not kind of sleepy, mostly middle-class working folks. Spackenkill schools are great, and I think Arlington has a decent reputation too.

I think you've got the right idea looking in Dutchess given your situation. Not too much riff-raff to contend with, housing isn't too expensive, and outside of the city/town centers it is rural enough that you can keep a garden and some farm animals. Lots of great scenery/views in the area, tons of hiking and boating if you're an outdoorsy type, but you're still close enough to NYC to get into Manhattan on Metro-North/realistically make a day trip out of it (people can and do commute from PK area to the city!) If you're near PK or Wappingers, groceries and other shopping should be convenient enough. Other parts of Dutchess can get brutally/inconveniently rural, but that's easy to avoid near PK.

I imagine you won't be looking right in the City of Poughkeepsie anyway (not a great place to keep chickens), but on the off-chance that you are looking at City properties, I don't know the good/bad neighborhoods but somebody else here might. People who live in that area may be able to help you out in terms of activities/local clubs, I don't know what any are but I'm sure they exist.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:37 PM

105 posts, read 83,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you referring to the Poughkeepsie area or the city itself?
Hi ckthankgod! I took your advice to heart when I moved to Red Hook several years ago, it was one of the best experiences of my life! Thank you! I moved because there was a problem with my apartment and they didn't have a lot to offer in terms of apartment rentals. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the revitalization currently going on in the city of Poughkeepsie? It looks promising to me.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:30 PM

93,280 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Wow...No problem. I’m not sure completely about everything going on in Poughkeepsie, but hopefully someone else will chime in with more specifics.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:28 AM

105 posts, read 83,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wow...No problem. I’m not sure completely about everything going on in Poughkeepsie, but hopefully someone else will chime in with more specifics.
Yes, it's been a while since someone who lives there has commented. I've been researching it for a few years now and it has made a lot of progress, especially on Main Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York