Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 PM

10 posts, read 9,638 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're thinking of moving to the Hudson Valley to Putnam/Duchess/Orange with our children from Long Island. If anyone has made a similar move with a family, I'm interested to hear about your experience. Are you happy? Do you have regrets? What do you miss? What's wonderful?

Also, consider that we will still be commuting by train to the city. What are your thoughts on that?

We appreciate any insight you can give us on housing, schools, community, commuting, even weather!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 07:36 PM

973 posts, read 1,410,510 times
Long Island is a very big place. About 3 million people, and a huge amount of variety from western Nassau to the sticks in eastern suffolk. Where will you be coming from? That may help people understand what you are used to.

If commuting by train to the city, I would recommend Putnam - the communities that have stops on Metro North. A map can get you started. Duchess would entail a longer commute, while Orange comes with the logistics of having to cross the river.

I am assuming based on budget and other constraints, you have chosen these areas and excluded Westchester and Rockland (too expensive? too inner-suburbish??). If commuting to the city, you would want to be as close as possible.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Long Island is a very big place. About 3 million people, and a huge amount of variety from western Nassau to the sticks in eastern suffolk. Where will you be coming from? That may help people understand what you are used to.

If commuting by train to the city, I would recommend Putnam - the communities that have stops on Metro North. A map can get you started. Duchess would entail a longer commute, while Orange comes with the logistics of having to cross the river.

I am assuming based on budget and other constraints, you have chosen these areas and excluded Westchester and Rockland (too expensive? too inner-suburbish??). If commuting to the city, you would want to be as close as possible.
Hi. We're coming from Nassau county. We're not considering Westchester or Rockland because we feel that it's not too much different than long island in many ways. It is not a finanical reason. I posted to find out more about people's experiences more so than discussing what we want (we're not settled in what we know we want in some aspects).We just want opinions and information that can influence our decision.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:30 AM

93,253 posts, read 123,876,708 times
What else are you considering for your move? I ask because while others have their experiences, that may not be what you experience or there may be things you like about the area that others didn’t like. There literally was an exchange about Orange County where 2 different posters had 2 different views/experiences. So, offering what you specifically are looking for would/could help in regards to your own move.

Also, what also makes going by other’s experiences tough is that anyone can say anything on here based upon other aspects(personal, employment, etc.). So, shaping a move simply based upon others would only fit a part of the puzzle.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:45 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,024 times
If you choose Dutchess, focus on Fishkill and maybe southern Wappingers - basically as close to Beacon as possible so that you can get the express train. Likewise in Putnam consider towns like Carmel that are close to the Harlem line. There are tons of LI/NJ transplants in that area and I believe a few post here so hoping they will chime in.

You definitely aren't going to see as much of the rat-race mentality, but still expect a certain level of affluence -- kids friends will be wearing nicer brand names, families will travel regularly, etc.

It may be a bit more isolating than you are used to because everything is more spread out - retail is limited to 1 or 2 roads, neighborhoods are more spread out, more reliance on wells/septic depending on where you are.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What else are you considering for your move? I ask because while others have their experiences, that may not be what you experience or there may be things you like about the area that others didn’t like. There literally was an exchange about Orange County where 2 different posters had 2 different views/experiences. So, offering what you specifically are looking for would/could help in regards to your own move.

Also, what also makes going by other’s experiences tough is that anyone can say anything on here based upon other aspects(personal, employment, etc.). So, shaping a move simply based upon others would only fit a part of the puzzle.
I'm interested in hearing people's experiences. I'm not "shaping a move simply based upon others". I understand the difference between facts and opinions. I am aware that people will have varying points of view. I am curious to hear what people want to share about their experience. This is why I phrased my inquiry this way.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
If you choose Dutchess, focus on Fishkill and maybe southern Wappingers - basically as close to Beacon as possible so that you can get the express train. Likewise in Putnam consider towns like Carmel that are close to the Harlem line. There are tons of LI/NJ transplants in that area and I believe a few post here so hoping they will chime in.

You definitely aren't going to see as much of the rat-race mentality, but still expect a certain level of affluence -- kids friends will be wearing nicer brand names, families will travel regularly, etc.

It may be a bit more isolating than you are used to because everything is more spread out - retail is limited to 1 or 2 roads, neighborhoods are more spread out, more reliance on wells/septic depending on where you are.

Do you think the spread out neighborhoods affect the sense of community in anyway?

Last edited by volosong; 05-19-2018 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: fixed close quote hypertag

Old 05-19-2018, 06:54 AM

93,253 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Here is a similar thread with some information: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-counties.html

Old 05-19-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is a similar thread with some information: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-counties.html
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York