Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 11:11 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Nothing I said was wrong. Nothing you said rebuts anything I said. You are just raising different points now. It’s a classic fraudulent argument technique.

Yes the people of Monroe are worried. I never said they weren’t. But is their worry rational? You have not yet explained why. You speak of problems but yet don’t provide specifics.

Again, you claim that I am wrong, but don’t provide any specific rebuttals. The MWSD is a very strong school district. It’s communities are safe and fairly affluent for the area. It’s home values are strong. It is a very large area with a large tax base. The only way any of this changes is if people panic. If people irrationally tell other people to not move there. That is what affects home values and quality of life. Not an entirely self contained municipality nearby that is just different.
The town is going to lose 20% of their tax base. Where is the 1.9 million going to come from? It's not the right time to buy in Monroe. There's too many unknowns that need to be settled before anyone should be recommending it to people. The new town is only going to keep them satisfied for a decade. By then, their population will have outgrown the area and there will likely be drama again. I see no reason to tell anyone that living in Monroe is a good idea. Go to Chester or Warwick.

Bill would create Town of Palm Tree year ahead of schedule - News - recordonline.com - Middletown, NY

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/19/n...l-upstate.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 01:43 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
The new town will commence, most likely, on January 1.

And exactly how does this community affect quality of life for those that live outside their community. Please explain.
Are they going to provide their own police? Their own fire department? Their own road crews? Or will they use an adjoining towns. Will they be blocking their streets on the Sabbath the way New Square did? Have you ever experienced them in public places, I don't think you have. Here's another community that makes the list America's poorest towns, state by state. Heres another link, read #5 https://www.lohud.com/story/news/cri...aids/84282456/ "The highest poverty rate in the nation" even if has improved some they are sure to still be on the lists. You don't think those kinds of poverty rates will not require a higher percentage of county resources?

Your wearing blinders if you think they will live in their town and not attempt to use facilities, stores etc in other towns the same way anyone would, you try dealing with them I've had enough.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 05-27-2018 at 01:55 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 03:23 PM

973 posts, read 1,411,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
The town is going to lose 20% of their tax base. Where is the 1.9 million going to come from? It's not the right time to buy in Monroe. There's too many unknowns that need to be settled before anyone should be recommending it to people. The new town is only going to keep them satisfied for a decade. By then, their population will have outgrown the area and there will likely be drama again. I see no reason to tell anyone that living in Monroe is a good idea. Go to Chester or Warwick.

Bill would create Town of Palm Tree year ahead of schedule - News - recordonline.com - Middletown, NY

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/19/n...l-upstate.html
You mention the loss of tax revenue but not the savings gained because the Town of Monroe no longer has to provide services to KJ. Typically the argument against the Hasidim is that they don’t pay their far share of taxes. Now we have a complaint that their tax revenue will be missed.

As for your statement that they will be satisfied for a decade, you just made that up. That is the problem with Internet forums. You are making recommendations based on projections that are completely fiction. And why do you recommend Warwick and Chester but not Monroe. They will have their own town separate from all three of these towns. Why after ten years will they go to Monroe and not Warwick and Chester - or Woodbury and Washingtonville?

The truth is that the Hasidim in NYS have never moved into or taken over an already existing viable and strong community. KJ came into existance because many decades ago a Hasidic sect purchased vacant land. They are now annexing into their new Town additional undeveloped land. They have no ability to move into and take over Monroe, Chester or Warwick or any other strong community - unless people play right into their hands and scare people from moving in. No one in this thread has yet to identify a single reason why a person can’t live a nice peaceful and normal suburban life in a good SD like MW even if a Hasidic community is nearby in a soon to be completely different municipality - other than of course the panic that runs through everyone that the Hasidim are going to take over. As someone smarter than all of us once said - the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Are they going to provide their own police? Their own fire department? Their own road crews? Or will they use an adjoining towns. Will they be blocking their streets on the Sabbath the way New Square did? Have you ever experienced them in public places, I don't think you have. Here's another community that makes the list America's poorest towns, state by state. Heres another link, read #5 https://www.lohud.com/story/news/cri...aids/84282456/ "The highest poverty rate in the nation" even if has improved some they are sure to still be on the lists. You don't think those kinds of poverty rates will not require a higher percentage of county resources?

Your wearing blinders if you think they will live in their town and not attempt to use facilities, stores etc in other towns the same way anyone would, you try dealing with them I've had enough.
Again, you have failed to identify how the existance of a Hasidic municipality affects the quality of life of people living in nearby communities. As for police, no other municipality will be providing police services to them. If they don’t form their own department, the state police, or possibly the county sheriff, will answer calls. However, that community almost never calls the police. They call the rabbi instead. Fire services are volunteer based. Regarding roads, they will either fix their roads or they won’t. Nearby towns will not do it for them, absent an intermunicpal agreement for payment of the services.

As for the remainder of your points, so what if they leave their Town and go to a nearby mall or Walmart or park. I have seen many Hasidim in “public spaces”. Where do you think I live, Alabama? I have never once had a negative experience with them, have never seen them do anything close to inappropriate or antisocial, and I have never heard of anyone who has. Are you trying to claim that quality of life is diminished because a Hasidic couple is walking the same isle as you at Best Buy?

As for them being on paper poor, none of their benefits are paid at the local level. So it doesn’t matter if you live in a town that is near to their town. And who cares if they block their streets on the sabbath. No one but them will care to use these streets.

Sometimes I think that posters are Hasidim is disguise attempting to stoke fear so that untouchable communities become, over time, vulnerable. Create Hasidic flight so that they can thereafter move in.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Again, you have failed to identify how the existance of a Hasidic municipality affects the quality of life of people living in nearby communities. As for police, no other municipality will be providing police services to them. If they don’t form their own department, the state police, or possibly the county sheriff, will answer calls. However, that community almost never calls the police. They call the rabbi instead. Fire services are volunteer based. Regarding roads, they will either fix their roads or they won’t. Nearby towns will not do it for them, absent an intermunicpal agreement for payment of the services.

As for the remainder of your points, so what if they leave their Town and go to a nearby mall or Walmart or park. I have seen many Hasidim in “public spaces”. Where do you think I live, Alabama? I have never once had a negative experience with them, have never seen them do anything close to inappropriate or antisocial, and I have never heard of anyone who has. Are you trying to claim that quality of life is diminished because a Hasidic couple is walking the same isle as you at Best Buy?

As for them being on paper poor, none of their benefits are paid at the local level. So it doesn’t matter if you live in a town that is near to their town. And who cares if they block their streets on the sabbath. No one but them will care to use these streets.

Sometimes I think that posters are Hasidim is disguise attempting to stoke fear so that untouchable communities become, over time, vulnerable. Create Hasidic flight so that they can thereafter move in.
I'm not going 20 rounds with you, you want them as neighbors then have at it but based on the postings you appear to be the only one. When the Hassidic couple is walking with 5 kids and watching none of them while they mess with items on the shelf or the husband is leering at your teenage daughter or the general rudeness and lack of courtesy if they pass, bump or fail to hold a door then you can have them.

New Square is a hovel that should be bulldozed, peoples life's have been in jeopardy because they would block the streets and not allow emergency vehicles in. Call the rabbi that a laugh how many of these ultra religious rabbi's have been found guilty of corruption or being slum lords? Jewish Whistleblower: Monsey Rabbi Mendel Wagschal / slum landlord's Hyenga Lake bungalow colony to be by torn down.

You want them as neighbors enjoy I will ensure that I stay clear....

Old 05-27-2018, 05:44 PM

196 posts, read 259,295 times
Quote:

I agree that they are overall lovely people. I have personally had some lousy and strange experiences with certain individuals and some friends who've had bad experiences and some extremely inappropriate ones. But they overall are nice, decent people.

As for them being on paper poor, none of their benefits are paid at the local level. So it doesn’t matter if you live in a town that is near to their town. And who cares if they block their streets on the sabbath. No one but them will care to use these streets. blocking streets wouldn't just be in their community, but I agree this isn't a cause for concern on a normal basis.

my friends left in Monroe fear housing values and block voting. I know people who've been affected as the community buys up property. I think Monroe is a great town, but until things are more certain with what will happen to KJ and all the details I wouldn't buy in Monroe.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I'm not going 20 rounds with you, you want them as neighbors then have at it but based on the postings you appear to be the only one. When the Hassidic couple is walking with 5 kids and watching none of them while they mess with items on the shelf or the husband is leering at your teenage daughter or the general rudeness and lack of courtesy if they pass, bump or fail to hold a door then you can have them.

New Square is a hovel that should be bulldozed, peoples life's have been in jeopardy because they would block the streets and not allow emergency vehicles in. Call the rabbi that a laugh how many of these ultra religious rabbi's have been found guilty of corruption or being slum lords? Jewish Whistleblower: Monsey Rabbi Mendel Wagschal / slum landlord's Hyenga Lake bungalow colony to be by torn down.

You want them as neighbors enjoy I will ensure that I stay clear....
Your so stupid you don’t even realize you are doing their bidding. And when did I ever say that I wanted them as neighbors. Please learn how to read. I just would not avoid a SD/town that was otherwise my first choice simply because there was a Hasidic community nearby but in a separate SD/town. All you have been able to come up with in this inane thread is that on occasion a Hasidic male stared at your daughter and didn’t hold the door open for you at a store. So you therefore feel compelled to tell people to not move to Monroe? How far away must the Hasidim be before a community gets your stamp of approval?

The Hasidic community relies on people like you. With your posts you have done far worse to the good people of the MWSD than any Hasidic has done. Congratulations!!

Old 05-27-2018, 10:57 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
You mention the loss of tax revenue but not the savings gained because the Town of Monroe no longer has to provide services to KJ. Typically the argument against the Hasidim is that they don’t pay their far share of taxes. Now we have a complaint that their tax revenue will be missed.

As for your statement that they will be satisfied for a decade, you just made that up. That is the problem with Internet forums. You are making recommendations based on projections that are completely fiction. And why do you recommend Warwick and Chester but not Monroe. They will have their own town separate from all three of these towns. Why after ten years will they go to Monroe and not Warwick and Chester - or Woodbury and Washingtonville?

The truth is that the Hasidim in NYS have never moved into or taken over an already existing viable and strong community. KJ came into existance because many decades ago a Hasidic sect purchased vacant land. They are now annexing into their new Town additional undeveloped land. They have no ability to move into and take over Monroe, Chester or Warwick or any other strong community - unless people play right into their hands and scare people from moving in. No one in this thread has yet to identify a single reason why a person can’t live a nice peaceful and normal suburban life in a good SD like MW even if a Hasidic community is nearby in a soon to be completely different municipality - other than of course the panic that runs through everyone that the Hasidim are going to take over. As someone smarter than all of us once said - the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
I didn't make up anything. The linked article mentions that the new town will be overflowing within 14 years max.
I'm done discussing this with you. You seem to have skin in the game. The Hasidic community isn't just confined to Palm Tree. They are taking over Bloomingburg and Mountain Lodge Park.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:23 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Suffern, too. I have a relative who was blockbusted out.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Your so stupid you don’t even realize you are doing their bidding. And when did I ever say that I wanted them as neighbors. Please learn how to read. I just would not avoid a SD/town that was otherwise my first choice simply because there was a Hasidic community nearby but in a separate SD/town. All you have been able to come up with in this inane thread is that on occasion a Hasidic male stared at your daughter and didn’t hold the door open for you at a store. So you therefore feel compelled to tell people to not move to Monroe? How far away must the Hasidim be before a community gets your stamp of approval?

The Hasidic community relies on people like you. With your posts you have done far worse to the good people of the MWSD than any Hasidic has done. Congratulations!!
Are you for real, doing their bidding, sounds like a communist plot! I grew up having to deal with all the groups in Rockland I don't like them and wouldn't want to live by them. Are you too dense to understand English? The OP asked for "opinions" can't you learn how to read?

Maybe your doing their bidding seeing you are the one asking for elaboration as too why I feel the way do. Maybe it is your request for elaborations that is doing the Hasidic Communities bidding. Maybe you live in Monroe and are afraid that your homes value will go down the crapper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York