Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM

27 posts, read 87,241 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am planning to buy a new car. I need some quick tips.

First of all, I have a trade in. One of my questions is.....will tax, title, fees etc be added to the FULL PRICE of the car or will I get a tax break after my trade in allowance? I know it differs by state.

Also, I went to my bank to see how much of a loan I would qualify for. My credit score is 830, but since I currently have a mortgage, and my take home salary before taxes is approximately $2200, I only qualify for a $12,000.00 car loan. This actually works for me because I have a trade in and have money saved to put money down.

The car dealership is having a 0% APR special for the summer, which I'd like to take advantage of.

Do I tell the salesperson up front that I only want a loan for $12,000 since I would not qualify for more.

I am told that if I am honest, the sales rep would be more open to helping me achieve my goal.

Any advice for me would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 09:14 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times
In NY the price of the trade in is subtracted from the price of the car. You only pay sales tax on the difference.

Don't tell the salesperson anything. Do the math on what a 0% APR loan from the dealer would be, versus a loan from your bank plus whatever cash back deal the dealer might be having (Usually it's either 0% or some amount back). Sometimes one is a better deal than the other. Take whichever is better. The dealer likely isn't going to approve you at any more than your bank is, unless they bump up the interest rate (higher risk of default because of your available income).

Don't negotiate monthly payments either, it's too much of an opening for them to play games. Let them make offers, do the math on your phone, and decide.

Most of what I'm saying is assuming a pretty bad salesperson. Unfortunately, that's the way the odds tend to go, you're more likely to end up with a snake than not. That's sad but true. If you determine that you actually ended up with an honest and fair salesperson you can be more open with them, but just keep in mind that even if the salesperson is honest, his manager, and the dealer's F&I officer might not be. So keep your guard up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York