Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 03:16 PM

973 posts, read 1,411,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I didn’t say that Newburgh was suburban or small town. I said that there are school districts in the area that are suburban or have a small town character that have diversity and integration.

West Point is also a military installation. MilitaryINSTALLATIONS - U.S. Department of Defense

Here is an old article about Highland Falls: https://www.nytimes.com/1994/05/15/r...ml?nytmobile=0

So, there are likely quite a few kids that attend O’Neill HS that have parents affiliated with West Point.
Yes you did say that Newburgh was suburban or small town. You said “no[ne] of the schools that display this are urban, but are suburban or small town in character as well.” While this is not the best sentence you have ever written in terms of intelligibility, it essentially says that no OC school districts are urban and all are suburban or small town in character. You used the word none and not some. Please don’t be one of those posters that throws logic and commons sense out the window in an attempt to always be correct.

West Point is listed as a military installation on a DOD website??? No kidding. Thanks for the info. It still does not make it a major military installation that skews Orange County diversity and integration as you claim. Nor does the NYT article. Wow. The USMA has an effect on Highland Falls? Who knew? But it’s affect is that of a university - professors, division one coaches, support staff. Traditional military personnel in the area is minimal. West Point is not at all the type of facility you claimed it to be. It provides much more of university presence than a military presence. Whether or not Orange County has diversity and integration is a matter of opinion and degree. But whatever diversity and integration it has, it is not sourced in any significant way by the presence of the USMA within its borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 04:06 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Yes you did say that Newburgh was suburban or small town. You said “no[ne] of the schools that display this are urban, but are suburban or small town in character as well.” While this is not the best sentence you have ever written in terms of intelligibility, it essentially says that no OC school districts are urban and all are suburban or small town in character. You used the word none and not some. Please don’t be one of those posters that throws logic and commons sense out the window in an attempt to always be correct.

West Point is listed as a military installation on a DOD website??? No kidding. Thanks for the info. It still does not make it a major military installation that skews Orange County diversity and integration as you claim. Nor does the NYT article. Wow. The USMA has an effect on Highland Falls? Who knew? But it’s affect is that of a university - professors, division one coaches, support staff. Traditional military personnel in the area is minimal. West Point is not at all the type of facility you claimed it to be. It provides much more of university presence than a military presence. Whether or not Orange County has diversity and integration is a matter of opinion and degree. But whatever diversity and integration it has, it is not sourced in any significant way by the presence of the USMA within its borders.
No, it is supposed to read Not (all) of the schools displayed are urban, but are suburban and small town in character as well. Totally different, considering that none wasn’t even in the sentence.

Again, I said military presence and maybe it is my fault to assume that others knew what West Point meant. It doesn’t negate that it is still military based, with people with rank and that there is a presence in the county. Don’t overthink it.

Also, I posted a dissimilarity index that compares the former metro area with other metros in regards to integration. So, it isn’t a matter of opinion, but based upon an index using certain criteria.

Here is another source that helps illustrates the integration point and the lower down the list, the more integrated: http://www.censusscope.org/2010Censu...tros-Black.pdf (White-Black)

http://www.censusscope.org/2010Censu...tros-Asian.pdf (White-Asian)

http://www.censusscope.org/2010Censu...s-Hispanic.pdf (White-Hispanic)

Source: CensusScope-2010 Census

As you can see, the former Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area was pretty low on all 3 lists. I’ll try to find more sources to illustrate this.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-16-2018 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
No, it is supposed to read Not (all) of the schools displayed are urban, but are suburban and small town in character as well. Totally different, considering that none wasn’t even in the sentence.

Again, I said military presence and maybe it is my fault to assume that others knew what West Point meant. It doesn’t negate that it is still military based, with people with rank and that there is a presence in the county. Don’t overthink it.

Also, I posted a dissimilarity index that compares the former metro area with other metros in regards to integration. So, it isn’t a matter of opinion, but based upon an index using certain criteria.

Here is another source that helps illustrates the integration point and the lower down the list, the more integrated: http://www.censusscope.org/2010Censu...tros-Black.pdf (White-Black)

http://www.censusscope.org/2010Censu...tros-Asian.pdf (White-Asian)

http://www.censusscope.org/2010Censu...s-Hispanic.pdf (White-Hispanic)

Source: CensusScope-2010 Census

As you can see, the former Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area was pretty low on all 3 lists. I’ll try to find more sources to illustrate this.
You are not reading what I wrote. I never disputed your claims that Orange County (or its former statistic metro area) is integrated. I have simply disputed that West Point has anything to do with it. West Point is not the type of “military presence” you seem to think it is. It is not a large military base that brings in huge amounts of minority service men and women (and their families) resulting in an integrated community. Your original point on this topic wrongly applies cause and affect to two things that have no causal relationship.

Your point about Newburgh is understood now that you have corrected your own typo.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:50 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
More of NY is in tatters than people like to admit.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
You are not reading what I wrote. I never disputed your claims that Orange County (or its former statistic metro area) is integrated. I have simply disputed that West Point has anything to do with it. West Point is not the type of “military presence” you seem to think it is. It is not a large military base that brings in huge amounts of minority service men and women (and their families) resulting in an integrated community. Your original point on this topic wrongly applies cause and affect to two things that have no causal relationship.

Your point about Newburgh is understood now that you have corrected your own typo.
I read what you wrote and my point was pretty clear(missing word and all). Newburgh wasn’t even specifically mentioned anyway.

My point was that a military presence, no matter what it is, brings a degree of diversity to an area. That was supplemented by the article. That’s all.

Again, no need to overthink what my post was initially saying.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I read what you wrote and my point was pretty clear(missing word and all). Newburgh wasn’t even specifically mentioned anyway.

My point was that a military presence, no matter what it is, brings a degree of diversity to an area. That was supplemented by the article. That’s all.

Again, no need to overthink what my post was initially saying.
“a military presence, no matter what it is, brings a degree of diversity to an area”

This is just false.

Your point is not at all supplemented by the article. It’s not even discussed. Do you post links to articles thinking no one will read them?

Old 07-17-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
“a military presence, no matter what it is, brings a degree of diversity to an area”

This is just false.

Your point is not at all supplemented by the article. It’s not even discussed. Do you post links to articles thinking no one will read them?
As a person that has been in the Army, that is the case and if you read the article, many of the people affiliated with West Point live in the Highland Falls area. So, I don’t know where the confusion or false claim is coming from.

From the article: “The village has a symbiotic relationship with West Point. About 50 percent of the residents are connected with what residents call "The Post." They include active military people, civilian employees of the academy or former military people who enjoy health and commissary privileges there. Children of academy personnel attend high school in the Highland Falls-Fort Montgomery Central School District. The many souvenir and antiques shops on the half-mile-long business section of Main Street are supported by tourists the academy attracts.”

Those that have actually been in the Army or military understand what I am referring to.

Just to supplement the point further...

Highland Falls information as a whole: Highland Falls, NY Historical Race Data - USA.com™

A couple of block groups in the northern portion of the village, that are close to West Point.
Census Block Group 013700-1 in Orange County, New York
Some block level information from this block group: Census Block 013700-1-000 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 013700-1-008 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 013700-1-012 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 013700-1-015 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 013700-1-019 in Orange County, New York

Census Block Group 013700-2 in Orange County, New York
Again, some block level information from the block group: Census Block 013700-2-004 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 013700-2-007 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 013700-2-008 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 013700-2-009 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 013700-2-010 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 013700-2-011 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 013700-2-017 in Orange County, New York

So, as you can see, this is an example of a military influenced area that has a very visible degree of diversity and integration.

Highland Falls street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3706...7i13312!8i6656

Notice the guy standing in front of the barbershop with BDU's on...

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-17-2018 at 07:02 AM..

Old 07-17-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
As a person that has been in the Army, that is the case and if read the article, many of the people affiliated with West Point live in the Highland Falls area. So, I don’t know where the confusion or false claim is coming from.

From the article: “The village has a symbiotic relationship with West Point. About 50 percent of the residents are connected with what residents call "The Post." They include active military people, civilian employees of the academy or former military people who enjoy health and commissary privileges there. Children of academy personnel attend high school in the Highland Falls-Fort Montgomery Central School District. The many souvenir and antiques shops on the half-mile-long business section of Main Street are supported by tourists the academy attracts.”

Those that have actually been in the Army or military understand what I am referring to.
Yes, much of the tiny village of Highland Falls derives their living from, or is connected somehow, with the USMA. This point has never been disputed. But what does this have to do with whether or not the university attributes in a meaningful way to the diversity or intergration of Orange County and/or the former statistical area it is a part of?

I understand exactly what your point meant. There are numerous large military bases in this country that attract a large number of soldiers/personnel and their families to an area. Because many of these people are miniroties, the existance of the facility greatly increases diversity in an area that probably would otherwise have little. But West Point is not one of these facilities. That is all I was pointing out when I disputed your point that West Point was a military presence adding to diversity in the county/region.

There is simply no significant causal relationship between West Point and Orange County or the region at large in term of diversity or integration. A NYT article saying that a lot of people in tiny Highland Falls are there because of the university doesn’t change this one way or another.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Yes, much of the tiny village of Highland Falls derives their living from, or is connected somehow, with the USMA. This point has never been disputed. But what does this have to do with whether or not the university attributes in a meaningful way to the diversity or intergration of Orange County and/or the former statistical area it is a part of?

I understand exactly what your point meant. There are numerous large military bases in this country that attract a large number of soldiers/personnel and their families to an area. Because many of these people are miniroties, the existance of the facility greatly increases diversity in an area that probably would otherwise have little. But West Point is not one of these facilities. That is all I was pointing out when I disputed your point that West Point was a military presence adding to diversity in the county/region.

There is simply no significant causal relationship between West Point and Orange County or the region at large in term of diversity or integration. A NYT article saying that a lot of people in tiny Highland Falls are there because of the university doesn’t change this one way or another.
I didn't say that it was a large part, but that the military presence plays a part in terms of the integration in Orange County. That was the point. It is an aspect, not the only reason for integration in Orange County.

Your second section essentially sums up what I was referring to. Keep in mind that while it is an educational institution, you are likely to have MP's, those that work in dining, officers, etc. that are just active duty members there as well.

To be honest, a lot of it has to do with people from NYC of various backgrounds just moving to the county as well. Given that the county has been one of the fastest growing counties in the state in recent years and that there is some development that comes with growth, people just "get in where they fit in". This tends to be the case with areas that have grown in recent years, regardless of location.

Just to also give an idea of other places in the county that illustrate the integration point and aren't urban:
Balmville, NY - USA.com™
Balmville, NY Historical Race Data - USA.com™

Orange Lake, NY - USA.com™
Orange Lake, NY Historical Race Data - USA.com™

Gardnertown, NY - USA.com™
Gardnertown, NY Historical Race Data - USA.com™

New Windsor, NY - USA.com™
New Windsor, NY Historical Race Data - USA.com™

Scotchtown, NY - USA.com™
Scotchtown, NY Historical Race Data - USA.com™

Washington Heights, NY - USA.com™
Washington Heights, NY Historical Race Data - USA.com™

Mechanicstown, NY - USA.com™
Mechanicstown, NY Historical Race Data - USA.com™

Maybrook, NY - USA.com™
Maybrook, NY Historical Race Data - USA.com™

Chester, NY - USA.com™
Chester, NY Historical Race Data - USA.com™

Old 08-03-2018, 02:26 PM

284 posts, read 269,425 times
Lol yes, along with Newburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York