Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 09:11 PM

17 posts, read 25,624 times

Advertisements

As I've posted recently, my husband's job is relocating us to Upstate, NY, and I have asked about several places and received amazing responses. My husband is set on living no more than 3 hours away from the city but if is closer it would be better. I have done my research based on the input that I have received, and I really like what I've seen so far in Niskayuna. My husband really likes Cornwall on Hudson even if we have to get into a smaller house because of housing costs. Beyond the distance we are looking for family friendly communities with good schools. Any thoughts on these two cities? Any others that we might have overlooked? Just as a background, we are a Hispanic family with 2 kids, a first grader and an 8 month old.

Thank you so much for your input and for help in this overwhelming process. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 10:02 PM

180 posts, read 214,702 times
Where exactly is your husband going to be working, and how frequent will your trips to the city be? Cornwall and Niskayuna are like 2 hours apart, nowhere near each other at all. Niskayuna is also about 3x as far from Manhattan. Pretty odd to be cross-shopping these two towns.

Cornwall has good schools. Make sure the places you're looking at are actually within the Cornwall Central district - in this part of New York, geographical location, post office, and school district do not always match up so you could possibly end up with a Cornwall address that's zoned for New Windsor schools or something.

Knowing your commute destination(s) will definitely help us figure out the best place for you to live.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:32 PM

17 posts, read 25,624 times
He works from home, and has accounts throughout the state, but his biggest accounts are in the city. He would be traveling every other week to the city. I we are closer he could do those visits in a day, if we are farther he would have to stay overnight. He will also travel to Toronto, NJ and CT but not as often.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:52 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Both are good school districts. So, schooling wouldn’t be an issue in terms of academic achievement.

Cornwall is closer to NYC and Hispanic/Latino students make up just under 17% of the student population. https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040474 So, those are a couple things to consider.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:16 AM

180 posts, read 214,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesgal12 View Post
He works from home, and has accounts throughout the state, but his biggest accounts are in the city. He would be traveling every other week to the city. I we are closer he could do those visits in a day, if we are farther he would have to stay overnight. He will also travel to Toronto, NJ and CT but not as often.

Cornwall would certainly be more convenient to NYC, NJ and CT. I suppose it's further from TO but that would be an overnight trip either way. Either way, that's where my vote goes. Hudson Valley is an amazing area and you can't beat living in a river town. There are other towns in the general area that might also fit the bill.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:34 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Both are good school districts. So, schooling wouldn’t be an issue in terms of academic achievement.

Cornwall is closer to NYC and Hispanic/Latino students make up just under 17% of the student population. https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040474 So, those are a couple things to consider.
An area of the district that would best fit what you are looking for demographically: Census Block Group 015200-6 in Orange County, New York (in NW corner of this map: Cornwall Central School District - USA.com™ )
Some blocks in that area and within the district: Census Block 015200-6-065 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 015200-6-063 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 015200-6-060 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 015200-6-061 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 015200-6-092 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 015200-6-058 in Orange County, New York
Census Block 015200-6-068 in Orange County, New York
Development/neighborhood they are in: Millennium Homes | Homes for Sale in New Windsor NY | New Homes Orange County NY | New Homes Orange County NY
Street view of entrance: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4585...7i13312!8i6656

So, that looks like an area to look into within the Cornwall SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York