U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-26-2018, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Hillside, NJ
8 posts, read 7,144 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hello,

After looking around the Hudson Valley for a few years, we seem to like Lake Peekskill and Putnam Valley. The two villages seem to be a good fit for us - quiet, beautiful country, water, and a great commute for us. (I’d be dropping off my spouse at the Peekskill train, I work from home.) the summer season community events look great. Seems like there’s a pretty good community spirit. I did a drive-by today, and saw a few small homes under $300k that I really liked. We have a friend in Putnam Valley we’re going to speak to, but I thought it would be a great idea to ask other local folks.

I’m wondering how well the hilly, narrow streets are cleared in the winter; what folks are generally like; that sort of thing.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2018, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Fields of gold
1,360 posts, read 1,003,484 times
Reputation: 3022
The local public works are awesome at keeping roads cleared in winter.(speaking for lake Peekskill).
yes you will find homes for less here. However! Regarding lake Peekskill, look for homes on the Westchester side. The reason being the Westchester homes have city water, not well water . Unfortunately LP (mostly in Putnam county) are experiencing well water issues. Those issues vary from home to home. I don't want to paint the whole Putnam side as bad, it's not. Aside from the water issue, it's been a good place for us. Most people here look out for one another, that goes for Put Valley as well.
Good luck in your search.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2018, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Hillside, NJ
8 posts, read 7,144 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks so much, Grouse. We’re going to take a trip up to look around, eat at the pizza place, etc. next week some time. I’m going to chat with one of the Church pastors in the area as well; and maybe use a realtor in town. I figure as many ways as we can connect with locals folks, the easier we’ll get an idea. The roads were a major wonder — thanks! I’ve already learned that I need to ask a lot of questions about wells and septic on the Putnam side.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Putnam Valley, NY
140 posts, read 104,149 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
The local public works are awesome at keeping roads cleared in winter.(speaking for lake Peekskill).
yes you will find homes for less here. However! Regarding lake Peekskill, look for homes on the Westchester side. The reason being the Westchester homes have city water, not well water . Unfortunately LP (mostly in Putnam county) are experiencing well water issues. Those issues vary from home to home. I don't want to paint the whole Putnam side as bad, it's not. Aside from the water issue, it's been a good place for us. Most people here look out for one another, that goes for Put Valley as well.
Good luck in your search.
How are your property taxes over there in LP? Every time I look at listings for houses over there, the taxes seem disproportionately high (like sub-800sqft 2br bungalows on tiny lots selling for $150k, that are paying like $8.5k+ a year). But I know that the tax figures on MLS sites are frequently inaccurate and don't always reflect rebates. Just curious how it is in real life.

Last edited by ashowofhands; 10-07-2018 at 11:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Fields of gold
1,360 posts, read 1,003,484 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
How are your property taxes over there in LP? Every time I look at listings for houses over there, the taxes seem disproportionately high (like sub-800sqft 2br bungalows on tiny lots selling for $150k, that are paying like $8.5k+ a year). But I know that the tax figures on MLS sites are frequently inaccurate and don't always reflect rebates. Just curious how it is in real life.


I am on the westchester side of LP. My taxes on a 100x80 lot are $6g. Putnam taxes are higher, but that goes for all of Putnam valley . There is no industry there, except the schools. I don't even think the PV police work overnight. Serious!
If you want lower Putnam county taxes you need to head out by Brewster where there is industry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Putnam Valley, NY
140 posts, read 104,149 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I am on the westchester side of LP. My taxes on a 100x80 lot are $6g. Putnam taxes are higher, but that goes for all of Putnam valley . There is no industry there, except the schools. I don't even think the PV police work overnight. Serious!
If you want lower Putnam county taxes you need to head out by Brewster where there is industry.

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. Westchester side is part of Town of Cortlandt, right? There's a ton of businesses and stuff within Cortlandt versus PV which seems to be like 95% state parks and nature reserves.



At least they have a police dept....Town of Pawling doesn't even have one, we just borrow from Dutchess County Sheriff and NYSP LOL

Last edited by ashowofhands; 10-09-2018 at 09:52 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Hillside, NJ
8 posts, read 7,144 times
Reputation: 11
Taxes are indeed high, but we figure if it’s where we want to live, it’s where we want to live. We were there this weekend looking at houses. Most of the houses we looked at (on the bottom end, between $200k and $300k and 800-1000 sf - taxes are $7000 or $9000. We briefly thought of looking at the Westchester side, but we really want to be on the Putnam side and we’re experienced with wells and septic, so, it is what it is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Fields of gold
1,360 posts, read 1,003,484 times
Reputation: 3022
Phil, if I could do it all over again, I would choose Orange County. lower taxes. Don't get me wrong, it IS beautiful here but..... It's not easy when you wind up with three children, living in a smallish home(compared to 2000 sq ft homes). Then again a 2000 sq ft home is going to run between $12-16,000.00 in RE tax .
If your set on being east of the Hudson, I highly recommend looking into the towns of Somers, maybe Mahopac, Brewster, and Patterson. More home for the money, at comparable tax rates.
Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top