Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:47 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times

Advertisements

Pot just went legal in Canada. The US-Canada border has always been pretty relaxed. Will this change that? If not, a lot of pot is going to drive over the border, heading for NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 10:22 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I frequently cross the border. Just came back into the USA Monday (I cross at the Thousand Islands).

It occurred to me that after today there will be closer checks. You have to be some kind of stupid to try at this time to drive weed from Ontario into New York without thinking there's a chance of a search. I think Americans have to be prepared to be searched, though, and should allow time for that possibility when traveling, especially in the early stages.

From what I understand, dispensaries won't open until the Spring even though it is legal as of today.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:29 AM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I frequently cross the border. Just came back into the USA Monday (I cross at the Thousand Islands).

It occurred to me that after today there will be closer checks. You have to be some kind of stupid to try at this time to drive weed from Ontario into New York without thinking there's a chance of a search. I think Americans have to be prepared to be searched, though, and should allow time for that possibility when traveling, especially in the early stages.

From what I understand, dispensaries won't open until the Spring even though it is legal as of today.
Yeah, don’t do it. True story, had a former Army roommate that tried to bring ecstasy back into the country from Canada after visiting his gf in Ottawa and got busted due to a search. This occurred pre 9/11. So, I wouldn’t say that the US/Canadian border is “relaxed” and you will get searched.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:33 AM

729 posts, read 532,631 times
Going the other way too (US to CAN). Don't try to bring pot into Canada across the border even if it is legal in Canada. Border laws are an entirely separate issue. And Canada's border cops can be just as tough if not at times tougher than their US counterparts. You could be barred from Canada for life.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:22 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
New Yorkers can buy their pot in Washington DC, no worries with a border crossing from there.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:55 AM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Clears this up...

Legal Canadian marijuana can’t cross border

Canada on Wednesday becomes the second nation in the world to have legalized marijuana.

Crossing the border into the United States, though, remains business as usual and Canadian marijuana is not permitted to make the trip.

“That’s a hard ‘no,’ ” said immigration attorney Elizabeth Klarin, counsel at Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP.

This fall, U.S. Customs and Border Protection issued a reminder about the rules leading up to Wednesday’s end of prohibition in Canada.

“It does remain illegal in the U.S. according to federal law,” Klarin said. “We have been doing a ton of counsel and speaking with a ton of clients about this.”

While some states in recent years have legalized marijuana for both medicinal and recreational purposes, prohibition federally is still intact. Marijuana laws are on the table for reform in other states such as New York, but that doesn’t change the long-standing procedure for crossing into the United States, she said.

People who work in the cannabis industry and cross at portals such as the Peace, Rainbow or Lewiston-Queenston bridges could even be deemed inadmissible, she said.

“It sounds ludicrous to them that they may be deemed a drug trafficker for what they do,” Klarin said.

Travelers to this country who have admitted to past marijuana use or trafficking can be considered inadmissible, according to CBP.

Guards still “have the authority” to ask travelers any questions they deem appropriate, she said, adding that those who cross “better be prepared” for questions about marijuana. If found to be lying, they could face fraud charges or a lifetime ban from entering the United States, she said.

“You have to go to the border with the expectation that you could be asked (about marijuana and) could be asked at length. ... We’re trying to help our clients understand the risk,” Klarin said.

Canada is the first major industrialized country to have lifted prohibition. It was previously regulated by province and national reform backed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau passed in June through the Senate of Canada.

Canadians can now possess up to 30 grams of legal cannabis obtained via provincially or federally licensed retailers. They are also permitted to grow up to four plants per household for personal use.

Canadian officials have said that bringing cannabis from the United States into Canada is still illegal, however, even when entering from states where rules have changed.

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...ss-border.html

Old 10-19-2018, 04:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
At this time, legal marijuana in Ontario is only available through mail order anyway.

It would not be easy to obtain casually for a tourist (unless a Canadian were to give you a pinch of their stash).

Old 10-20-2018, 07:09 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
I guarantee some knuckleheads will get busted trying to take it across.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:48 AM

729 posts, read 532,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I guarantee some knuckleheads will get busted trying to take it across.
Yep!

Going either way.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:24 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
I never said I thought it would be legal to bring it over. But customs on the Canada border never seemed as hard core as it is on the Mexican border. The question is, will Customs ramp up their intrusiveness given that pot is now legal, and as time goes on, will be increasingly available up there?

Is there even a border fence up there? If you get off the roads by the border crossings, someone could probably just walk across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Clears this up...

Legal Canadian marijuana can’t cross border

Canada on Wednesday becomes the second nation in the world to have legalized marijuana.

Crossing the border into the United States, though, remains business as usual and Canadian marijuana is not permitted to make the trip.

“That’s a hard ‘no,’ ” said immigration attorney Elizabeth Klarin, counsel at Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP.

This fall, U.S. Customs and Border Protection issued a reminder about the rules leading up to Wednesday’s end of prohibition in Canada.

“It does remain illegal in the U.S. according to federal law,” Klarin said. “We have been doing a ton of counsel and speaking with a ton of clients about this.”

While some states in recent years have legalized marijuana for both medicinal and recreational purposes, prohibition federally is still intact. Marijuana laws are on the table for reform in other states such as New York, but that doesn’t change the long-standing procedure for crossing into the United States, she said.

People who work in the cannabis industry and cross at portals such as the Peace, Rainbow or Lewiston-Queenston bridges could even be deemed inadmissible, she said.

“It sounds ludicrous to them that they may be deemed a drug trafficker for what they do,” Klarin said.

Travelers to this country who have admitted to past marijuana use or trafficking can be considered inadmissible, according to CBP.

Guards still “have the authority” to ask travelers any questions they deem appropriate, she said, adding that those who cross “better be prepared” for questions about marijuana. If found to be lying, they could face fraud charges or a lifetime ban from entering the United States, she said.

“You have to go to the border with the expectation that you could be asked (about marijuana and) could be asked at length. ... We’re trying to help our clients understand the risk,” Klarin said.

Canada is the first major industrialized country to have lifted prohibition. It was previously regulated by province and national reform backed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau passed in June through the Senate of Canada.

Canadians can now possess up to 30 grams of legal cannabis obtained via provincially or federally licensed retailers. They are also permitted to grow up to four plants per household for personal use.

Canadian officials have said that bringing cannabis from the United States into Canada is still illegal, however, even when entering from states where rules have changed.

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...ss-border.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York