Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,341,504 times

Advertisements

Hi, I would like to know from some residents whether Binghamton is safe. Particularly Downtown Binghamton and the area around the greyhound station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,114,031 times
Downtown/area around the bus station - For wandering around at 3AM? I wouldn't. For visiting during normal hours? Sure, there's plenty of college students and professional workers about. Most of the crime in Binghamton is not "random" and kept to certain populations/areas.

Remember that downtown is West and South of the bus depot. East and North go downhill quickly, they're some of the most depressed districts in Binghamton. (Further East gets nice again past the RR tracks, but that's not within walking distance).

Old 08-26-2013, 04:58 PM

70 posts, read 165,403 times
Downtown is pretty nice, depends what you're looking for. It has a lot of college students and it's going to be loud on the weekend nights, really loud from State Street and drunk students wandering around. Safety is pretty good, though.

I'd stay West of Carroll and South of Lewis, though. Outside of that area can get undesirable quickly, especially East of Carroll on streets like Susquehanna, Fayette and Stuyvesant.

As depressed as some make Binghamton seem, there is actually solid activity in the downtown area, and the activity dies down quickly in the lesser, previously mentioned areas. One good thing about Binghamton is there is little visual trickery to it. Areas like Downtown which look decent and feel safe are, areas that don't feel safe usually aren't(This is loaded with context). My suggestion, go for a drive around Binghamton, specifically the downtown area, you'll learn the "desirable" boundaries rather fast.

On that note, nowhere in Binghamton is a death sentence by any means. Unless you've got business of the narcotics variety, you could most likely make due anywhere. But I'd still try and stick to the boundaries mentioned.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:04 PM

Wow, my friend says she got robbed on Main Street by two large dudes. She's a short Chinese girl who doesn't speak English well, but still :/

Old 09-05-2013, 06:37 PM

70 posts, read 165,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Wow, my friend says she got robbed on Main Street by two large dudes. She's a short Chinese girl who doesn't speak English well, but still :/
So I assume you made the move Downtown? Have you found the general quality of life to be sufficient so far?

Sorry about your friend, Main Street can get somewhat unsavory at night.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndicottNewYork View Post
So I assume you made the move Downtown? Have you found the general quality of life to be sufficient so far?

Sorry about your friend, Main Street can get somewhat unsavory at night.
Ohh, I'm actually college student, so yeah the QoL is pretty good

Old 09-08-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Where on Main though? Put simply, it should be relatively obvious the sections of Main St that are safe and those that aren't. During the day, anything is fine.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:10 PM

24 posts, read 52,410 times
Binghamton is not safe. Not in the evening. Not in the night. Not in the morning. Not in the afternoon. Binghamton is a moribund city that has been on the decline for 25 years. And, the recent influx of people on parole and probation brought in by the Salvation Army across state lines has made matters worse as had the climate that completely supports gang membership and associated evil activities. It is an unlivable city. Anyone moving in who has a choice of living elsewhere but chooses Binghamton should be offered a free neurological exam!

Old 09-22-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeiteasy View Post
Binghamton is not safe. Not in the evening. Not in the night. Not in the morning. Not in the afternoon. Binghamton is a moribund city that has been on the decline for 25 years. And, the recent influx of people on parole and probation brought in by the Salvation Army across state lines has made matters worse as had the climate that completely supports gang membership and associated evil activities. It is an unlivable city. Anyone moving in who has a choice of living elsewhere but chooses Binghamton should be offered a free neurological exam!
Yet 6000-8000 college students who largely come from safe downstate (LI) environments live off-campus, walk around (and stumble home drunk) in Binghamton without much happening to them, and there's been two big complexes opening for them in the middle of downtown thanks to the demand for student housing + expanding enrollment. Hmm....

Your hypothesis lives much to be desired. Binghamton is a very nice place in some areas and a terrible place in others. Which is which is pretty obvious.

Here good: http://goo.gl/maps/XQTmz

Here bad: http://goo.gl/maps/QaEud

Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeiteasy View Post
I'm calling BS on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York