Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 01:51 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Screw Florida though, that place sucks. I'm going to stick inland, but I want out of here.
Exactly. OP can keep Florida weather. I've lived in upstate NY for 44 years (native of and still living in the Capital District), and only ONCE was I ever afraid for my home being flooded, and that was during Irene. My neighborhood and, therefore, the apartment building I was living in at that time, in the city of Troy was put under voluntary evacuation after I had already arrived at work, and that was due to the fact that my building was only blocks away from the Hudson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 02:14 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
It could be a blessing or a curse. This puts a lot of resources through tax revenue as well as human resources within possible use of upstate New York which has thus far been pretty poorly used for upstate's benefit. Unfortunately, Cuomo's administration has not shown itself to be a particularly good steward of such resources.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:56 PM

307 posts, read 118,667 times
Sorry, but “property taxes are a function of local government” can be true, but isn’t in our state. Our state has onerous unfounded mandates on counties and municipalities.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:17 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonwoodbao View Post
Sorry, but “property taxes are a function of local government” can be true, but isn’t in our state. Our state has onerous unfounded mandates on counties and municipalities.
Well, considering that school taxes make up the biggest portion of the property tax, 987ABC has a point.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Yes, We have a complete Big Apple government now, and the OP is right--the upstate idiots pitched in to help.

It's going to take people finally fed up with Cuomo, who even likes to flap his gums about who he thinks should live in NY, and Albany hacks continuing to over-regulate, control, and drive more New Yorkers from this state.

It happened when they reached the gag point with Mario Cuomo's endless pontificating and turning NY into a progressive's dream. Even Pataki was surprised when he won. He wasn't great, but at least he wasn't Cuomo.

Nobody has that "fire in the belly" to run the campaign that Andrew Cuomo deserves.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:42 AM

271 posts, read 247,760 times
I'm out of here in 5 years when I retire. And I'm not leaving because of the weather.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonwoodbao View Post
You don't understand how taxes in NY work. "property taxes are a function of local government" is absolutely a true statement. I think you are ignoring the word "property", and confusing it with state income taxes. For most homeowners, 2/3rds of their property tax bill goes to the local school board. 100% of that budget is set by the local school board. Of the remaining 1/3, most of it is your local city/town/village property tax. The budget is set by the city/town/village board. Only a tiny amount goes to the county, and of this, a small amount will be for mandates placed on counties by the state. I do not know of any mandates placed by the state on local municipalities.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:17 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Probably the biggest nail on the coffin for New York State would be if the Democrats could somehow cancel the 2% property tax cap. As weak as it is, it is the only thing that is slowing the growth of property taxes in the 57 counties outside New York City.

If the Democrats eliminate the tax cap, then I think is game over for Long Island and much of the rest of the state as well.
Another thing that NY is facing is the changes in the federal tax law, which will hurt folks with higher incomes, and already sky-high property taxes. Mainly this would be out on LI and within Westchester County, but some within the five boroughs, and some folks further Upstate, will be affected, too. it will result in lower discretionary spending, and even some outflow of residents. The full effect of the changes will hit next year.

Upstate is finished, but I saw the writing on the wall 20+ years ago, it's nothing new. Some parts of Upstate started to decline in the 1920's, others in the 1950's, and still some others went downhill in the 80's. By the 90's parts of Upstate were stuck in the past, with no plan(s) to change the situation for the better. Now, both parties are picking at the carcass that's left, and they continue to play the crony capitalist game.

The region has become an economic and political backwater.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:28 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I left NY 2 years ago for Florida who just reelected a Republican Governor. The fox is guarding the hen house in NY. More anti business legislation and a progressive liberal agenda. Best thing I ever did was leaving NY. You can keep your high taxes, bad weather and anti business climate.

Same here...i also left NY for Florida in 2017. I can’t tell you how much happier my family and I are being here rather then in NY. While Florida has its problems and is far from perfect, it is so much better living here.

Eventually NY will be a state consisting of the very rich, and the takers who always have their hand out waiting for that free-bee....

Sad what liberals have done to New York and other states like California and Connecticut

Old 11-09-2018, 11:14 PM

307 posts, read 118,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
You don't understand how taxes in NY work. "property taxes are a function of local government" is absolutely a true statement. I think you are ignoring the word "property", and confusing it with state income taxes. For most homeowners, 2/3rds of their property tax bill goes to the local school board. 100% of that budget is set by the local school board. Of the remaining 1/3, most of it is your local city/town/village property tax. The budget is set by the city/town/village board. Only a tiny amount goes to the county, and of this, a small amount will be for mandates placed on counties by the state. I do not know of any mandates placed by the state on local municipalities.

Sorry, but you are wrong. New York State forces counties to pay for medicaid. It is the only state in the union to do so. That is why your property taxes are ungodly high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York