Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 11:09 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times

Advertisements

State's native-born population continues to shrink, especially in Upstate:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...-s/2362167002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 05:22 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
What are the numbers for people moving into the state domestically? That wasn’t mentioned in the article.

Where do the people that left go? It is usually the retirees/working folks that move south or out west. There are also the people that just move to other states in the NYC metro or combined statistical area as well(NJ, CT and NE PA).

Also, the immigrant narrative has always been a common theme for the state. So, that is something different that the state has over most states in terms of population.

Let alone that these are estimates and the state will be 4th in population, at worst, for a while.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-20-2018 at 06:45 AM..

Old 12-20-2018, 05:31 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
That doesn't seem to be that big a number as I am sure there are people moving into NY.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:28 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,169 times
The problem is that the ones that are leaving ( like me) , take their tax dollars with them. If you think an influx of immigrants will make up for the tax shortfall created by the exodus of middle and upper class working class , then you guys deserve every tax increase and fee that Cuomo orders you to pay.

We can start with that congestion pricing scam for Manhattan. Whatever they say that money will go for, do you honestly think it will be used for that purpose ? Or just more money to hand out to the takers in society so their votes are guaranteed ?

Old 12-21-2018, 04:35 AM

^The problem with this is that immigrants have become middle class, tax paying folks for centuries in NY State. Meaning, many of those coming will become that, if they aren’t already. So, it isn’t anything new in that regard, except they are different or a more diverse set of immigrants now.

Ironically, those that mention this are likely only 1 to 4 generations removed from immigrants themselves.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-21-2018 at 04:44 AM..

Old 12-21-2018, 07:55 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
That doesn't seem to be that big a number as I am sure there are people moving into NY.
The stats are even worse than that.
2018 census estimates showed a net loss of around 50,000 per year, but they also revised down previous estimates by 250,000! The total net loss for New York State was 307,190!
If people think Detroit, Illinois, or Youngstown are bad, they should visit NYS! Leadership of Flint, MI ain't got nothing on Cuomo and gang.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:04 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
The problem is that the ones that are leaving ( like me) , take their tax dollars with them. If you think an influx of immigrants will make up for the tax shortfall created by the exodus of middle and upper class working class , then you guys deserve every tax increase and fee that Cuomo orders you to pay.

We can start with that congestion pricing scam for Manhattan. Whatever they say that money will go for, do you honestly think it will be used for that purpose ? Or just more money to hand out to the takers in society so their votes are guaranteed ?
Well done. I agree 100%. I left 2 years ago and have been back only once and that was on my way to Canada. Property taxes on my 240k house were 8200 this year. I feel sorry for the folks that bought it. Taxes here in Florida on the same house would be less than 2k. I couldn't afford to spend 700/month just for property taxes on an average nothing special house. The hardest thing is my house appreciated $0.00 in the 11 years I owned it and housing in most other places outside of the rust belt increased much more. My house was in Amherst which is one of the highest rated areas of WNY. My only regret is that I didn't move sooner.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:08 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^The problem with this is that immigrants have become middle class, tax paying folks for centuries in NY State. Meaning, many of those coming will become that, if they aren’t already. So, it isn’t anything new in that regard, except they are different or a more diverse set of immigrants now.

Ironically, those that mention this are likely only 1 to 4 generations removed from immigrants themselves.
I beg to differ. In those days of yore, NYS employment was growing and there were many jobs in steel mills and manufacturing which have disappeared. Most of the employment is now in the public sector or in low wage call centers and backroom support. Wall Street keeps NYS afloat and you don't see waves of immigrants working there. Just because something happened in the past doesn't mean it will continue in the future.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:16 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Well done. I agree 100%. I left 2 years ago and have been back only once and that was on my way to Canada. Property taxes on my 240k house were 8200 this year. I feel sorry for the folks that bought it. Taxes here in Florida on the same house would be less than 2k. I couldn't afford to spend 700/month just for property taxes on an average nothing special house. The hardest thing is my house appreciated $0.00 in the 11 years I owned it and housing in most other places outside of the rust belt increased much more. My house was in Amherst which is one of the highest rated areas of WNY. My only regret is that I didn't move sooner.
I made the same move. I left NYC 2yrs ago and haven’t looked back. I make almost $40k less per year here than I did in NYC yet live 2x as good. I’ve been back just once to visit. Taxes, real estate prices, congestion, traffic, etc is what drove me away. I now live on Florida’s Gulf coast and life is great. Yes there are certain things that I miss such as the food and entertainment options, but it wasn’t enough to deal with the cons of living in that city. Commuting to/from work via public transportation 2x a day is good reason enough to not live there.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The stats are even worse than that.
2018 census estimates showed a net loss of around 50,000 per year, but they also revised down previous estimates by 250,000! The total net loss for New York State was 307,190!
If people think Detroit, Illinois, or Youngstown are bad, they should visit NYS! Leadership of Flint, MI ain't got nothing on Cuomo and gang.
Where are you getting these numbers from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York