Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 11:32 AM

41 posts, read 100,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
Did you live in NYC originally and what motivated you to purchase in Dutchess and commute? Do you rely solely on Metro North?
I lived in Rockland for most of my life and work in NYC. We rented in lower Westchester for a few years before we got married and had a child. I would have loved to be able to buy there, but we'll never be able to afford it. We had a house in Airmont, but wanted to get out due to the changing demographic in Ramapo. We knew we wanted to be on the east side of the Hudson to have access to Metro North to GCT. We basically narrowed down our search to either a ~1500 sqft house in northern Westchester vs a 2500 sqft house in Spackenkill school district in Dutchess and ultimately went for the larger house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 01:09 PM

337 posts, read 356,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdezz View Post
I lived in Rockland for most of my life and work in NYC. We rented in lower Westchester for a few years before we got married and had a child. I would have loved to be able to buy there, but we'll never be able to afford it. We had a house in Airmont, but wanted to get out due to the changing demographic in Ramapo. We knew we wanted to be on the east side of the Hudson to have access to Metro North to GCT. We basically narrowed down our search to either a ~1500 sqft house in northern Westchester vs a 2500 sqft house in Spackenkill school district in Dutchess and ultimately went for the larger house.
I am not too far from closing on a home in White Plains (fingers crossed). If I am lucky, I will be in a 1600 sqft home. It is indeed a tradeoff. Being at an express stop with a frequent train service (every 15 min) is what sold me.

Even with what I am spending here, I know I could get double the square footage with land easily for the same price in Dutchess (i.e. Spackenkill, I looked there also). It's amazing how far money goes (on NYC terms) in that area. I saw some homes in the $250K-$300K range with an acre or more!

Old 09-10-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
The large house + good schools (Spackenkill school district) were the main reasons that we chose to buy in Dutchess. We were considering Cortlandt Manor and Croton-on-Harmon and we were able to double our sqft house by going up to Dutchess.

This obviously comes with real costs. The longer commute is one thing, but my wife and I didn't realize until we moved up here how accustomed we were to the suburban sprawl. It's way more rural up here, and that just isn't for us. We came up here several times when we were house hunting, and figured Dutchess was similar to Rockland/Westchester with just a longer commute. That's definitely not the case.
This is good to know. From Google street view, a lot of the areas look suburban and a bit like Westchester.

I once looked in Wappinger Falls and contacted a real estate agent in the area who said she was originally from Astoria, Queens. She talked about how they pay for independent garbage collection and services that NYC/Westchester/Long Island residents take for granted.

This here was $350K! https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...30132511_zpid/

Old 09-12-2019, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 25,206 times
Quote:
I've been doing the commute for about 2 months now from the New Hamburg train station, and it sucks. I'm starting to feel that buying a house in Dutchess is one of the worst decisions I've made in my entire life.

Sorry to hear that. I know several people who have similar commutes and have for years..very common situation in Dutchess county.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
This is good to know. From Google street view, a lot of the areas look suburban and a bit like Westchester.

I once looked in Wappinger Falls and contacted a real estate agent in the area who said she was originally from Astoria, Queens. She talked about how they pay for independent garbage collection and services that NYC/Westchester/Long Island residents take for granted.

This here was $350K! https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...30132511_zpid/
Yeah, all garbage pickup is private in Dutchess. It comes out to like $35/month so it's not terribly expensive, but there are limitations on what you can throw away that I'm not used to dealing with. You are supplied with your own garbage cans and they will only take what fits into the can since their truck has an arm that automatically empties the can. The garbagemen won't get out of the truck which kind of blows my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMuffin View Post
Sorry to hear that. I know several people who have similar commutes and have for years..very common situation in Dutchess county.
There are a lot of people in POK, New Hamburg, and Beacon train stops so I don't doubt it. The commute is only one part of it though. My wife and I both realized that we definitely prefer the more suburban sprawl lifestyle of further south.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of people in POK, New Hamburg, and Beacon train stops so I don't doubt it. The commute is only one part of it though. My wife and I both realized that we definitely prefer the more suburban sprawl lifestyle of further south.
Can you explain this? What do you do up there for fun? Activities? Restaurants? Probably not nightlife since you are married couple.

Define suburban sprawl? Do you mean like strip malls? I read that most of the activity for that "Suburban Sprawl" if I understand it as you mean it, you would on Route 9 in the Wappinger Area? There is some other mall up there called Short Hills?

Old 09-16-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Can you explain this? What do you do up there for fun? Activities? Restaurants? Probably not nightlife since you are married couple.
We have a 2 year old, so most of our activities are geared towards him. My son loves it up here. We bring him to the children's museum have found many outdoor activities on weekends during the summer months.

A lot of the restaurants that we've tried have been pretty disappointing. We have yet to find good pizza in Poughkeepsie, but I've gotten some recommendations for places in the city of POK that I want to try. Bagels are terrible. I just gave up and started buying bagels down in Manhattan and keeping them in the freezer at home. Palace Dumplings on Route 9, however, is fantastic.

Quote:
Define suburban sprawl? Do you mean like strip malls? I read that most of the activity for that "Suburban Sprawl" if I understand it as you mean it, you would on Route 9 in the Wappinger Area? There is some other mall up there called Short Hills?
I'm probably using this term incorrectly. When I say suburban sprawl, I mean more like a small town walkable downtown small business kind of feel. Most of the towns in Westchester/Rockland have something like this where you have nicer restaurants, nice shops etc.

Route 9 runs north south along the western side of Putnam/Dutchess and runs all the way up to Columbia and probably even further (I have never been that far north). In southern Dutchess, route 9 is all chain stores. It's nothing but strip malls. It has no charm. East of Route 9 seems to get extremely rural.

Once you go further north to Red Hook and Rhinebeck, Route 9 doesn't have as many lanes, and you get back to that whole classy small business feel.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 25,206 times
Quote:
A lot of the restaurants that we've tried have been pretty disappointing. We have yet to find good pizza in Poughkeepsie, but I've gotten some recommendations for places in the city of POK that I want to try. Bagels are terrible. I just gave up and started buying bagels down in Manhattan and keeping them in the freezer at home. Palace Dumplings on Route 9, however, is fantastic.

I'm probably using this term incorrectly. When I say suburban sprawl, I mean more like a small town walkable downtown small business kind of feel. Most of the towns in Westchester/Rockland have something like this where you have nicer restaurants, nice shops etc.

As a NYC transplant to the Poughkeepsie area..you do have to lower your expectations for pizza. My favorite pizzeria in the area is Colanero's in the Red Oaks Mill plaza. Favorite bagels are Rudy's Bagels, coincidentally across the street. (I agree with you about Palace Dumplings btw..used to go all the time but a bit pricey now ..) As far as a small walkable downtown..check out Beacon. For better restaurants..check out Crew on Rt. 9, Farmers & Chefs further up near the train station, and Artist's Palate on Main St.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:11 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Yeah, all garbage pickup is private in Dutchess. It comes out to like $35/month so it's not terribly expensive, but there are limitations on what you can throw away that I'm not used to dealing with. You are supplied with your own garbage cans and they will only take what fits into the can since their truck has an arm that automatically empties the can. The garbagemen won't get out of the truck which kind of blows my mind.

This is pretty much how things roll in many parts of USA outside of say New York city and or close urban areas.

Friends and family live in areas where there isn't garbage collection at all; you have to drive/take your stuff to a local spot yourself. It's like something out of the 1950's.....

Old 10-03-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMuffin View Post
As a NYC transplant to the Poughkeepsie area..you do have to lower your expectations for pizza. My favorite pizzeria in the area is Colanero's in the Red Oaks Mill plaza. Favorite bagels are Rudy's Bagels, coincidentally across the street. (I agree with you about Palace Dumplings btw..used to go all the time but a bit pricey now ..) As far as a small walkable downtown..check out Beacon. For better restaurants..check out Crew on Rt. 9, Farmers & Chefs further up near the train station, and Artist's Palate on Main St.
Tried Rudy's and didn't like them. The bagels were just okay, but kind of small. I'll give Colanero's a shot.

I was just on main st Beacon for my friend's birthday last week. It's definitely up and coming compared to what I remember about it.

We've been to Crew a bunch of times, and like it. Our house is in Crown Heights, so it's very close. I drive past Farmers & Chef every time I go to the Children's Museum, and have been meaning to check it out. I never heard of Artist's Palate, but will add it to the list. Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This is pretty much how things roll in many parts of USA outside of say New York city and or close urban areas.

Friends and family live in areas where there isn't garbage collection at all; you have to drive/take your stuff to a local spot yourself. It's like something out of the 1950's.....
I know I'm probably sounding spoiled, but like I said blows my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York