Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 01:07 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
So...you're ignoring the problem of bags filling landfills and littering streets and getting stuck in trees no matter what? Because you might be inconvenienced you don't support the ban? Your "interim solutions" wouldn't make a 1% difference in bag usage.
They can be recycled. I bring the ones I don't use as bin liners back to the super market and dump them in a bin by the recycling machines. I've been doing that for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Lord almighty. See, this is the kind of thing I mean when I say city folk can't understand life upstate.

Plastic bags have a ton of uses (on the farm they made great boot liners). Not the least of which being that actually carrying them is much easier than paper bags. They don't soak up condensation like paper.

Cuomo drives me insane as it is, but this is too much of a knee-jerk reaction. The better plan would be to promote the use of reusable bags, like at Aldis. Instead of banning them outright.
Of their heads would explode if they ever had to deal with an upstate, Adirondack winter! They are freaking out right now about the incoming storms that are coming our way in the next two days.

I reuse the plastic bags for numerous things. Packing bottles in suitcases (shampoo, shower gel), I put my workout sneakers and dance shoes in bags so they don't dirty up the inside of my backpack during transport, carrying wet items, I use them as bin liners in my bathroom garbage pail, and I have used them to line my cat's Litter Genie when I run out of the liners that normally are used in that device.

I once borrowed a book from my father that made it through a building fire unscathed all because I kept it in not one, but TWO plastic grocery bags from Price Chopper when I would bring it to work and read during my lunch hour. When I was allowed to go back into my apartment 2 days after the fire, that book was found on my kitchen table in the middle of smoke-, heat- and/or water-damaged things (including paperwork pertaining to various matters), safe and dry, wrapped up in two bags that were each tied firmly closed by their handles. That book was a paperback, over 30 years old, but it suffered no damage. Imagine if it had been in a paper bag... it would have been a soaked mess.

So, anyone who wants to call these bags "single use" can bite me.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I actually have several suggestions, and I think they'd cut bag use at least 30%, which would be a good preliminary step.
Like teaching cashiers how to properly bag things. They are the ones putting shampoo or shower gel bottles into one bag and then putting them into the main grocery bag with the other items, not me. When I used to go to mainly manned cash out aisles I noticed how they used 2-3 bags when 1-2 would suffice, and they would look at me like I was the idiot when I told them to use one bag (because *I* knew my items would fit in one bag). Now I avoid them like the plague, preferring to do my own bagging. Rarely do I need more than 2 bags when I do my shopping.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:05 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
The idiot voters in this city/state hate Trump. So to spite Trump (who could care less, BTW) they give the Democritters full, unfettered control of the state. So the Democritters feel they can fulfill all their looney left agendas. This is just one small symptom of this.

We're going to be putting up with $hit like this for a while until the electorate gets it head out of it's a$$ (and I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.)

Old 01-18-2019, 05:35 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The idiot voters in this city/state hate Trump. So to spite Trump (who could care less, BTW) they give the Democritters full, unfettered control of the state. So the Democritters feel they can fulfill all their looney left agendas. This is just one small symptom of this.

We're going to be putting up with $hit like this for a while until the electorate gets it head out of it's a$$ (and I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.)
Not going to happen. NY has gone full retard for good. It’s time to pack up and leave. As soon as I have to follow NY’s gun laws I am out.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-18-2019, 10:16 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
The rest of the country is going the same way.

The entire Pacific coast is gone. The entire northeast has always been gone. Colorado is gone. Viginia is nearly gone. Florida, Georgia, and Texas are sitting on ticking demograghic time bombs. When the go, the rest of the country gets dragged down the drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Not going to happen. NY has gone full retard for good. It’s time to pack up and leave. As soon as I have to follow NY’s gun laws I am out.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:55 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Don't worry, there are a lot more things to come from the government telling you what to do in your day to day life. It's Bozo-umo Bonanza!

Still beats being told you are going to be trained in mud and spend several years wandering around in jungles with a machine gun committing genocide, right?

Old 01-19-2019, 06:58 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Still beats being told you are going to be trained in mud and spend several years wandering around in jungles with a machine gun committing genocide, right?
I don’t know, I enjoyed it. They tried to push me out of planes and helicopters but I was already falling with a smile on my face.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-20-2019, 10:31 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some takes on the plastic bag ban from shoppers in the Utica area: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...lastic-bag-ban
LOL, what "takes". Whoever wrote that article is a correspondance school of cliff notes drop out

Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

Fantastic post, this is also my observation. They hate Trump so much they will vote any far left idiot into office. Meanwhile Trump actually is doing very little to actually impact their lives and the local pols are going to do some serious long term damage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York