Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 02:28 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times

Advertisements

https://www.nystateofpolitics.com/20...ill-expansion/

I'm torn about this. I like plastic bags to a point because I use those to line my garbage bins (sparing me the hassle & a few bucks of purchasing Hefty plastic bags). But...the environment..!

Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s 2019 budget proposal will call for a ban on plastic bags in New York as well as an expansion of the state’s bottle deposit law.

“While the federal government is taking our environmental progress backwards and selling out our communities to polluters and oil companies, in New York we are moving forward with the nation’s strongest environmental policies and doing everything in our power to protect our natural resources for future generations,” Cuomo said.

“These bold actions to ban plastic bags and promote recycling will reduce litter in our communities, protect our water and create a cleaner and greener New York for all.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 02:48 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Trader Joes stopped using plastic bags now. I'm like you Aeran, I use store plastic bags as my garbage bags. I like to take my garbage out everyday so they are the perfect size. When I get paper bags, they do nothing good, the handles break on the trip home, the bag then rips and they get thrown in the recycling bin.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:10 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Trader Joes stopped using plastic bags now. I'm like you Aeran, I use store plastic bags as my garbage bags. I like to take my garbage out everyday so they are the perfect size. When I get paper bags, they do nothing good, the handles break on the trip home, the bag then rips and they get thrown in the recycling bin.
Yeah. The paper bags from Whole Foods are sturdy enough and I use those for a variety of things including garbage but nothing beats those plastic bags you get from Target, Duane Reade, Food Emporium, etc. Also if they ban bags entirely, I haven't got into the habit of carrying shopping bags with me like they do in European countries. The article states that plastic bags will still be used on certain items i.e. meat. Don't know about ice cream or other frozen products that are kind of wet and messy.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:45 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

I'm torn about this. I like plastic bags to a point because I use those to line my garbage bins (sparing me the hassle & a few bucks of purchasing Hefty plastic bags). But...the environment..!

Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s 2019 budget proposal will call for a ban on plastic bags in New York as well as an expansion of the state’s bottle deposit law.

“While the federal government is taking our environmental progress backwards and selling out our communities to polluters and oil companies, in New York we are moving forward with the nation’s strongest environmental policies and doing everything in our power to protect our natural resources for future generations,” Cuomo said.

“These bold actions to ban plastic bags and promote recycling will reduce litter in our communities, protect our water and create a cleaner and greener New York for all.”

OK...............quick question...............where do you put dog waste?

Old 01-13-2019, 04:28 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

Dammit, the bag ban is SO wrong-headed. I mean, the intentions are good.

But, first, the problem is that there are a bunch of things they refuse to address: That people use the bags for trash exactly as you said and will only have to buy more, that we use bags for all kinds of things.

Then, second, there are a bunch of interim solutions to cut down on bag use without banning them: Making them slightly thicker so we'll use fewer and they won't fly away, giving a few cents credit to people not taking bags, offering small paper bags for small items, etc.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:40 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
So when you go to a store I guess they will now have to provide a paper bag or you bring your own. How long before a fee gets charged if you need a bag from the store? Like many I used the smaller ones from the grocer for cleaning the cats litter box and larger ones to line garbage cans etc.

Seeing this is NY I am sure the implementation with be convoluted and expensive and somewhere a Plastic Bag Supervisor
position will need to be created (at a 6 figure salary) to oversea the states efforts....

Old 01-13-2019, 07:59 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Probably time to ban those bags but like everyone says what do you do to line your smaller garbage bins or when you walk your dog.

It's one of those modern times issues when we live in a super sanitized environment. In the old days people used to put all their garbage in a metal bin and the whole thing would be poured out into the garbage truck. The thing stunk to high heaven but it got the job done. Then a company came along and convinced everyone that they needed a cleaner solution with bags and here we are

Old 01-13-2019, 09:21 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Lucky me my dog goes into the woods and back on his own. What they really want is a bag tax.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-14-2019, 05:13 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
Default Cuomo wants to Ban Plastic Bags

here we go...

A proposed ban on single-use plastic shopping bags will be included in the state budget, Gov. Cuomo announced Sunday.
The governor created a task force last year “to develop a comprehensive statewide solution to address” the issue. Cuomo took that step after he blocked the city from implementing a 5-cent fee on plastic and paper disposable bags.

Afterwards, he proposed a bill banning the bags based on one of the task force’s recommendations. But the legislation stalled.
The newly proposed “statewide plastic bag prohibition” will now be included in the state budget.

But exceptions will be made “to ensure the roll-out of this initiative does not disproportionately impact low and moderate income and environmental justice communities through the distribution of reusable bags and exemptions where appropriate,” Cuomo’s office said in a statement.
Environmental activists want the Cuomo administration to also enact a small fee on paper bags in order to discourage their use once the plastic ban is enacted.
The task force report estimated that New Yorkers use approximately 23 billion plastic bags annually. Those throwaway bags are not recyclable and some end up blown into the ocean.
Also Sunday, Cuomo announced that he will expand the Bottle Bill “to make most non-alcoholic beverage containers eligible for 5 cent redemption, including those for sports drinks, energy drinks, fruit and vegetable beverages and ready-to-drink teas and coffee”

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...113-story.html

Old 01-14-2019, 05:40 AM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
My question: How do I dispose of dog waste?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York