Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 01:01 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And NYC leads the pack right now for the Egg on the Face Award for how they handled the Amazon Deal, i'll wait and see what happens....
Sure, but there is still a tech presence with Apple and Google setting up shop there. So, it will be interesting to see what happens.

With that said and back to the point made earlier, I think that the state should look to get the rest of the state involved in regards to tech and the potential growth that may come from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 06:08 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sure, but there is still a tech presence with Apple and Google setting up shop there. So, it will be interesting to see what happens.

With that said and back to the point made earlier, I think that the state should look to get the rest of the state involved in regards to tech and the potential growth that may come from it.
You can keep hoping for it but its doubtful it will happen. Albany is wired to follow the money and that leads to NYC not points west.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:51 PM

146 posts, read 114,298 times
I would love for this to happen but realistically I can't ever see it.

We'd be in charge of our own destiny. What works for NYC might not be such a good idea for areas of New York State that are closer to Kentucky and Indiana than they are to NYC. We have no representation up here and we were told not long ago that we don't belong here and we should leave, though they love our share of the money we provide via taxes, fees, licenses, etc.

They'd also pay dearly for water and electricity.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:42 PM

729 posts, read 532,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadChadderson View Post
I would love for this to happen but realistically I can't ever see it.

We'd be in charge of our own destiny. What works for NYC might not be such a good idea for areas of New York State that are closer to Kentucky and Indiana than they are to NYC. We have no representation up here and we were told not long ago that we don't belong here and we should leave, though they love our share of the money we provide via taxes, fees, licenses, etc.

They'd also pay dearly for water and electricity.
The average electric rate in NYS is just under about twice the average electric rate in Texas. A comparison of all the states is found here at this government website.

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/state/

Last edited by GoldenHair; 03-06-2019 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: minor spelling mistake

Old 03-06-2019, 10:28 PM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
NYC owns the watershed and the infrastructure that delivers the water to the city. Even if there was a separation these are legal binding contracts/deeds and a new state can not claim emanate domain and confiscate them. Power is provided to the collective grid and federal regulations would prevent the price gouging you mentioned, that has to be applied at the local level by Con-Ed......

NYC gets the bulk of her power from generating plants within her region, Niagra-Mowhawk was owned by National Grid but is now owned by a NYC Based company.

"They distribute electricity in the northeastern US to approximately 3.3 million customers and gas in upstate New York to around 565,000 customers.

On March 13th of 2013, National Grid sold all of its American operations to The Blackstone Group, an American private equity company based in New York City, New York."

So I guess all your plans of squeezing NYC won't happen, of course a NYC company owns the company that feeds all of upstate......
I could see Delaware County allowing fracking just out of spite...also NYSEG supplies a large chunk of upstate. If just the Southern Tier counties allowed fracking I wouldn't think it would be too much of a stretch to develop an upstate gas generation capability.

Last edited by PFM; 03-06-2019 at 10:49 PM..

Old 03-06-2019, 10:44 PM
PFM

Quote:
As mentioned, there are some law differences in regards to Upstate, NYC and Long Island in terms of driver's license requirements.

My thing is how much responsibility is there from Upstate leaders in terms of coming up with ways to "adjust" the playing field via consolidation or other forms of service sharing? Even in terms of regionalization, as a way to form a business alliance or for marketing purposes.

As much as we can blame Downstate for this or that, I also think there should be more of a demand from Upstate leadership to think outside of the box within the current framework of the state. I say that because even if Upstate breaks off and forms another state, but leaves things as is, you are still looking at school taxes being a big portion of your property taxes, concentrated poverty issues in parts of your cities and even in select other communities, needing ways to raise revenue or at least keep costs down, etc. So, I don't think just breaking off as is solves anything for Upstate NY either.
I would think that the New state of New York would look immediately at emulating Texas, Pa and the Dakotas regarding fracking and gas transmission to New England. There are a ton of landowners that would be chomping at the bit if it was possible.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFM View Post
I would think that the New state of New York would look immediately at emulating Texas, Pa and the Dakotas regarding fracking and gas transmission to New England. There are a ton of landowners that would be chomping at the bit if it was possible.
I could see that, but even if it was a separate state, you would still see some pushback on an environmental front. As you know, IBM did a number on parts of Endicott on an environmental front and I think some would want to avoid something like that again. So, it would be interesting to see, if it ever came to this.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:01 AM
PFM

Quote:
I could see that, but even if it was a separate state, you would still see some pushback on an environmental front. As you know, IBM did a number on parts of Endicott on an environmental front and I think some would want to avoid something like that again. So, it would be interesting to see, if it ever came to this.
Not anything like the downstate crowd that pushed through the ban. Hollywood and Yoko Ono don't have too much influence with farmers and other landowners who actually need the extra money. A lot of landowners signed deals with energy companies before the fracking ban - no reason to think they wouldn't again without the downstate and Albany influence pushing the ban. Summer home owners in the Catskill counties might be in for a surprise.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFM View Post
Not anything like the downstate crowd that pushed through the ban. Hollywood and Yoko Ono don't have too much influence with farmers and other landowners who actually need the extra money. A lot of landowners signed deals with energy companies before the fracking ban - no reason to think they wouldn't again without the downstate and Albany influence pushing the ban. Summer home owners in the Catskill counties might be in for a surprise.
True, but you still have some towns that banned it like Dryden and enough people to speak out against it.

I think this still only would appease a select handful of folks. So, what about parts of the cities or even after this slows down, if it does occur? I think this is another part of the separation talk that has to be considered or you are just coming off as being more of a pro rural/small town separation movement, not a movement for all of Upstate.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:34 AM
PFM

Quote:
True, but you still have some towns that banned it like Dryden and enough people to speak out against it.

I think this still only would appease a select handful of folks. So, what about parts of the cities or even after this slows down, if it does occur? I think this is another part of the separation talk that has to be considered or you are just coming off as being more of a pro rural/small town separation movement, not a movement for all of Upstate.
That's why I said the Southern Tier counties. Tompkins is in its own world due to Cornell - if that place ever shuts down the traffic jam from Ithaca to 81 would last for weeks. The PA border counties are another matter entirely. Upstate needs all of the financial help it can get - do you think that if they set up a program like Alaska has where all residents share in the profits that environmentalism would stand a chance? Anything that was set up to hammer property and school taxes would be tough to argue against with the average voter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York