Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 03:44 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
When I left N.Y. I wanted to live where no one knew what a snowblower was. Now I think I want to live where no one knows what a Tornado Siren is. Really rough day day where I live. Multiple tornados with fatalities. You don’t know what the stress level is is like when those sirens go off. A foot of snow doesn’t seem so bad.

All I’m saying is that nowhere is is paradise. You need to consider all considerations when deciding where you want to settle.
Absolutely! Before we moved I think that I knew more about Arizona than many that were born here? I knew some people who packed up and moved to Florida and absolutely hated it and some that loved it. One of our old neighbors moved to of all places, New Joisey.

I mean if you're gonna' go to the trouble of selling your home along with the hassle of packing up all of your belongings there's a helluva' lot better places throughout the country than Joisey. Especially when you take into consideration the weather, costs of living, scenery and the type of home you'll be living in compared to what you can get in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 09:00 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
When I left N.Y. I wanted to continue moving from city to city. I wanted to experience living throughout the US. The grass is always greener and I regret leaving WNY.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
When I left N.Y. I wanted to continue moving from city to city. I wanted to experience living throughout the US. The grass is always greener and I regret leaving WNY.
Not me I knew where I wanted to be, the southwest was always for me. We'll never leave here. Not much grass out here though, having a lawn is kinda' frowned upon. But that's okay I prefer the desert landscape.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:51 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
For the basement debate, a basement allows for creating unique living spaces that would be difficult on other floors. I'm in the process of designing a home gym, theater and game room in our basement. You just can't really do a whole floor like that without a basement. It separates the living space away from your day to day living spaces and your sleeping space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
That was me too. I lived away from Rochester twice, and the last time, I decided to move back permanently. I even turned down a job offer at Microsoft in Seattle to come back.

The things I missed greatly or desired:

The culture and history in Rochester. Newer cities frankly don't have that culture and history no matter how hard they try.

My amazing home that I built. There's no possible way I'd be able to build the same home at the same cost in most parts of the country.

The nationally ranked schools. Having young children, there's no way I would put them into the bad schools littered all across many parts of the country.

No hurricanes, no tornadoes, no droughts, no extreme heat. For me I do not mind winter one bit. So cold season I enjoy. I love being able to enjoy the beautiful Finger Lakes, Ontario Lake, gorges etc. I love the hiking I have available. The amazing greenery, trees, flowers. The landscape I live in is also virtually unmatched. The hills, gorges, etc.

In the winter I can go sledding, skiing, snowboarding. Having 1/4 of the worlds' fresh water on my doorstep also means water is cheap. There are no such things as water restrictions here. I can water my lawn any time I want for as long as I want. There are no restrictions on filling a pool or draining it and cleaning it. I can grow some of the most beautiful trees/flowers/bushes, etc.

There's a reason why Rochester is considered a boomerang city. I was one of them and many of my neighbors are too. You leave at some point thinking you need to. Then you realize how great it is living here.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:15 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
The year after we lost our house in the Upstate flooding I tornado hit about 10 miles up the road (CNY) and killed 5 people. NY weather is a horror show pretty much all the time but at least we got to live. We had joked after the flood we wanted to live on a big hill but thats where the killer tornado's hit. Just ain't safe from the weather anywhere.

I moved back to NY for family planning to leave ASAP but life happens and more family stuff hit and likely I'll die here.

Unless I make it to retirement. Never be able to pay these taxes on a fixed income. Not even close.

Also I don't have a basement in NY. Some places may be ok, I don't know, but in NY basements are wet and yucky. Whe we bought current house we insisted on no basement. Houses in the 50-100 year old range on slabs are very common. We love not having a basement. No stairs. Washer/dryer on same floor, LOVE IT. If god forbid one of use ends up hurt in some way we won't need ramps and a chair lift.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:56 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,843 times
When we built our house here, a basement was a requirement of mine. Far as Upstate, NY, is concerned, a basement is great during the colder months. It's a buffer of sorts, otherwise the rest of a house would be difficult to heat. Every house, apartment building, townhouse, etc., besides raised ranches, in Upstate I've ever been in had a basement.

The downside is a basement in an area with a not-so-agreeable water table.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Not me I knew where I wanted to be, the southwest was always for me. We'll never leave here. Not much grass out here though, having a lawn is kinda' frowned upon. But that's okay I prefer the desert landscape.
Ex New Yorker, We moved to AZ years ago from the Northeast. My wife loves it out here and it eventually grew on me when I learned how to handle the summers. The key word with summer out here is; options! Leaving for NY tonight and will be there till Sunday.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Ex New Yorker, We moved to AZ years ago from the Northeast. My wife loves it out here and it eventually grew on me when I learned how to handle the summers. The key word with summer out here is; options! Leaving for NY tonight and will be there till Sunday.
We're in the high country at about 5,500 ft. because of that we have four mild seasons. The summertime temperatures are comparable to New York but without the humidity and hot summer nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York