Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 11:32 AM

63 posts, read 31,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What are you trying to justify? Fifty years ago Farm to Table restaurants really did not exist anywhere that is a trend that emerged later especially in urban areas. Farming is always evolving and the use chemicals continues even today just as small farm organic has always existed along side it. You can tout organic all you want but its ability to feed the masses falls short and the extra cost places it out of reach for many people.
Actually organic farming was the dominant type in Europe just 40 years ago and people were pretty well fed then. Organic farming is still the dominant type in Russia, Latin America, Asia and Africa yet people are not dropping dead of starvation there. 100 years ago and more organic farming was the main type in the US and Americans back then were some of the tallestand healthiest people in the world (unlike now). Organic foods are more nutrient dense and better for the environment than modern conventional agriculture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 12:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I really hope you didn't go to school in New York State. You must be an embarrassment to your history teachers. Did you take/pass any of the regents exams?

You do know that there have been GMO crops since the time of the ancient Egyptian civilization.
First you accuse someone of a poor education and then you compare saving seeds from plants with desireable characteristics to splicing genes from a pig into a soybean.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:42 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
First you accuse someone of a poor education and then you compare saving seeds from plants with desireable characteristics to splicing genes from a pig into a soybean.
Umm, no.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:43 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Smith View Post
Actually organic farming was the dominant type in Europe just 40 years ago and people were pretty well fed then. Organic farming is still the dominant type in Russia, Latin America, Asia and Africa yet people are not dropping dead of starvation there. 100 years ago and more organic farming was the main type in the US and Americans back then were some of the tallestand healthiest people in the world (unlike now). Organic foods are more nutrient dense and better for the environment than modern conventional agriculture.
That is just too funny.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:51 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
what exactly do you think GMO crops are?

As for the OP, her agenda clearly isn't based in any objective reality, just a made up straw man she can argue against

Old 09-07-2019, 02:22 PM

63 posts, read 31,454 times
I want to see the return to pure healthy eating and I'm being attacked for it?? There is nothing wrong with wanting to eat food that is free of chemicals. I remember the days when you could actually enjoy the taste of tomatoes strawberries and cucumbers because they weren't farmed intensively. I applaud younger new yorkers for wanting to return to the way their great great great grandparents ate as new yorkers have been missing out on real food for at least 80 years.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:34 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
I want to see the return to pure healthy eating and I'm being attacked for it?? There is nothing wrong with wanting to eat food that is free of chemicals. I remember the days when you could actually enjoy the taste of tomatoes strawberries and cucumbers because they weren't farmed intensively. I applaud younger new yorkers for wanting to return to the way their great great great grandparents ate as new yorkers have been missing out on real food for at least 80 years.
The only thing you are being confronted for is apparently living on another planet with an alternate dimension New York.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:53 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
I don't know what fairy tales you grew up on but the stories from my grandparents who were born in the 19th century was survival. What kind of utopian fairytale do you think life was back then, hard scrabble for most, near starvation for many and a food supply that was less than reliable or sanitary. Try reading the book "The Good Old Days, They were Terrible" if you want an inside over what living and food was like. A strawberry who could afford to even buy them...

Old 09-07-2019, 07:09 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Are we talking the same Europe who was eating our food for decades as they recovered from the annihilation that was WWII? Russia has been buying our grains for decades especially during the 70's/80's because they couldn't produce enough with their organic farming. Your right no one is dropping dead in Africa from starvation, Live Aide and all the other relief movements have been held so they could have organic strawberry's.

Talk to real farmers, their bottom line is everything don't you think if organic was cheaper for them to produce they would be doing it? The reality is that farming is a business and one that has to make a profit to continue working in it, this is a lot different then some weekend gardener with 10 acres in the Catskills selling organic gourds on the weekend.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 09-07-2019 at 08:18 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 08:26 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:

Average Life Expectancy in the US:
1900 - 46-48 years
2016 - 79 years

Some of these "chemicals" are the reason why:
- we have enough food to feed the current population
- the food we have is not disease-ridden

Not all things are good. Too much of anything is not good. On the other hand, hipsters raising food in a backyard garden in upstate NY doesn't cut it for a large population size.

Our "great, great, great grandparents" lived in a primarily agricultural based society. When you live on a farm or in a small country town, an "organic" lifestyle is possible. When that food needs to be shipped across the state (or country) to feed major population centers, it is a different story.

Back then, big cities were germ infested incubators for the plague. Unless you were well-to-do, your life expectancy in a city was on the very low side of the bell curve.

You cannot feed the population of the NYC metro area on "local, organic" food. There isn't enough local to sustain that much food. That is the exact reason why things like pasteurization were created. Some of that processing saves lives.

All your absurd assumption aside, what you are suggesting would involve culling 50% of the population and returning our society to a pre-industrial age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York