Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 04:22 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Out of an 102 billion budget? They can cover 6 billion easily with that, but I hope they don't cover that with bonds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 07:00 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Well Howie, lets talk about that.

When you compare the Debt to GDP ratio, unfortunately, N.Y. is number one. But guess what state is number two?

South Carolina.

https://howmuch.net/articles/compari...-in-each-state

Now why is it that your state, South Carolina, with significantly less population than N.Y. cannot seem to balance their books. This is even more odd when you consider that SC gets significantly more money back from the Federal Government when compared to N.Y. Even stranger, North Carolina, has one of the lowest debt to GDP ratios in the country. Looks like you chose the wrong Carolina.

Things are looking great here, thanks.

I wish the feds would just get rid of the SALT deduction altogether, then we'd see which states are in the red to federal taxpayers. The tax burdens on people who work for a living there in NY keep rising, health care costs there are out of control, etc. So productive and well=off people keep leaving.

Where are they heading to? The Carolinas, FL, AZ, etc.

Nice liberal talking points, though.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post

I wish the feds would just get rid of the SALT deduction altogether, then we'd see which states are in the red to federal taxpayers. The tax burdens on people who work for a living there in NY keep rising, health care costs there are out of control, etc. So productive and well=off people keep leaving.

Getting rid of SALT deductions would make a lot more sense if there was a floor for federal expenditures in a state versus federal revenue that encouraged more proportionate federal expenditure/revenue ratios. The reason the SALT deductions exist is because the wealthier states worried that having a federal income tax meant that there would be a massive wealth transfer from the wealthier states to the poor states and the SALT deductions were meant to mitigate that to some effect.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:58 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
What do you expect? The governor thinks that spending taxpayer money, even money that they haven't even earned yet is better than cutting waste. One of the richest and most prominent residents leaves and he says "good riddance". What is wrong with this guy? Life long NYer's are leaving . Immigrants are moving in. The last time I was in NYC, hardly anyone spoke English.
huh? This has ALWAYS been this way. NYC is the true melting pot of everyone and anyone.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:59 PM

729 posts, read 533,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Out of an 102 billion budget? They can cover 6 billion easily with that, but I hope they don't cover that with bonds.
NYS up until the mid 1960s was a relatively low cost, low taxes state compared with the other states. Then starting about the mid 1960s and continuing in the decades after, bond this, bond that, … Oh! you want another goodie? Bond that too! What most voters do not realize is that a bond is debt. Sooner or later it must be paid back with interest. At that point in time the government entity doesn't have the money so it votes for itself to raise taxes ( and maybe add in a few regulations just to be sure). Now NYS is in the yearly position of seeing if it can be the highest taxed state in the nation.

I won't happen, but voters must live within their means and reject bonds. For myself, if a bond is on the ballot, I automatically vote against it regardless of what it's for.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:03 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post

fallacy point. Where are people moving to? CITIES. NY like most of the northeast and midwest is losing population badly in the rural areas along with towns based in manufacturing.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:44 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
NYS up until the mid 1960s was a relatively low cost, low taxes state compared with the other states. Then starting about the mid 1960s and continuing in the decades after, bond this, bond that, … Oh! you want another goodie? Bond that too! What most voters do not realize is that a bond is debt. Sooner or later it must be paid back with interest. At that point in time the government entity doesn't have the money so it votes for itself to raise taxes ( and maybe add in a few regulations just to be sure). Now NYS is in the yearly position of seeing if it can be the highest taxed state in the nation.

I won't happen, but voters must live within their means and reject bonds. For myself, if a bond is on the ballot, I automatically vote against it regardless of what it's for.

Yes, the uneducated and unaware populous needs to pay attention. Ever notice, for instance the conditions of the roads? Did you know we pay about 55 cents per gallon of gasoline to maintain the roads? What happens to that money? It goes to bike paths and subways. Not for maintaining the roads. Then the state floats a bond to fix the roads. Isn't that double taxation?

Old 12-03-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post

Maybe some bonds to help pay off bonds (indirectly). The other part is not getting enough federal funding. So, a lot of money going out that isn't coming back in and then couple that with borrowing cause you don't have enough. Really cool cycle there!

Old 12-04-2019, 07:10 AM

93,340 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe some bonds to help pay off bonds (indirectly). The other part is not getting enough federal funding. So, a lot of money going out that isn't coming back in and then couple that with borrowing cause you don't have enough. Really cool cycle there!
You mean this?: https://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/re...t18/101718.htm

https://www.voanews.com/usa/all-abou...more-they-give

https://www.businessinsider.com/fede...019-1#texas-43

Old 12-04-2019, 05:15 PM

214 posts, read 197,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Don't forget that almost $2 billion went to Cuomo's well connected friends. Many people went to prison. Cuomo himself was being investigated, but he killed that investigation. I guess that's what you get with only one party in charge, with no oversight.
I'll drop this here...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.lohud.com/amp/96838666
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: