Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,247 times

Advertisements

i know i wanna move upstate, i have 3 children and found a nice rental up there, but dont know much about the area was looking for some helpful advice. do the schools suck? lol people?jobs? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 12:29 AM

144 posts, read 638,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate bound View Post
i know i wanna move upstate, i have 3 children and found a nice rental up there, but dont know much about the area was looking for some helpful advice. do the schools suck? lol people?jobs? thanks
There is absolutely nothing in Amsterdam. If you blink your eyes, you might miss it as you drive on the Thruway. I could only imagine that the highest paying job there isn't too high. Not to bash the place, but it's not the most delightful place to be. I'd look elsewhere.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:55 AM

417 posts, read 1,891,494 times
I'd have to second Corduroyboy's post. I have relatives in the general area of Amsterdam and so pass through there fairly often, and it's a pretty dismal place. I don't know that it's still the case, but the 'city' had drug issues in the past. There are some small entrepreneurs setting up businesses in some of the old mill buildings, but it's not enough to amount a 'turnaround' of the city yet by a long shot.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:54 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I actually have gotten lost on the turn-around in Amsterdam several times, but have to agree that the city doesn't look like it is doing that well. Some of the other towns (Troy, perhaps) might be a better bet.

And for work, all of the people I know commute to Albany (mostly government jobs, lawyers, etc).

Old 01-14-2007, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 11,844 times
Default stay away from amsterdam, ny!!!!!!

We just moved out of amsterdam. If you want any hope of a future for you or your kids stay away!! The apartments and houses are cheap for a reason! The city just closed a school there claiming money problems but they are bunch of liars. The class sizes in most schools are up around 26-27 kids. And if you have middle school aged kids forget about it! The middle school is so horrible that the local St Marys enrollment jumps at 6th grade. Which is a good school but its 3000 a year. If you have any questios please feel free to e-mail me, but stay away!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2007, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 17,703 times
I grew up in Amsterdam and while I had a great childhood and still keep in touch with my high school friends, I must tell you I could not wait to leave! There are some nice neighborhoods up there, but as the other posts mention, the public schools are awful. I would look in other nearby areas like Saratoga Springs, Albany or Clifton Park. Good Luck!

Old 01-18-2007, 04:20 PM

8 posts, read 52,528 times
Have to agree with everyone, not the greatest place to be. Especially if you have children. Troy isn't a great area either. Clifton Park is a good family area, actually many towns in Saratoga County are very family friendly.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:02 AM

29 posts, read 144,108 times
Hi,I myself was also looking into Amsterdam,i live upstate NY for the last yr,The guys at my husbands Job says it isnt the greatest place to Live if you have Kids,Check out,Rotterdam/scotia/cliftenpark/Glenville there all pretty much not too to far from there approx 1/2 hour,its an upscale neighborhood with great rental prices,check out this link with prices and rentals! Good luck.... http://www.rentersguidealbany.com/index.cfm?page=browse

Old 02-05-2007, 05:48 PM

11 posts, read 68,792 times
Not the best of choices, I'm afraid. Unless you work for the two hospitals there, there's really nothing for you in Amsterdam. There are some good areas, but they're few and far between.
I have no idea how the schools are, but since the district emcompasses the good and bad blocks of Amsterdam, your children will be exposed to this mixing of everything.
Keep looking.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:22 PM

155 posts, read 849,808 times
well I disagree w/everybody. I recently moved back to amsterdam after living in westchester county/nyc area for nearly 10 years. we bought an historic old queen anne victorian for what you would pay for a run-down '60s ranch on a cul-de-sac in Clifton Park. there are still very nice neighborhoods in amsterdam, and if you have any type of middle class job in Albany area, you live very comfortably in amsterdam. contrary to what some suggest amsterdam has a very healthy population of professional class families whose kids hang together. yes, you have your typical dirt-dog sections, but they're nowhere near as ghetto as schenec., albany, troy... I completely disagree w/the folks who obviously prefer to live in cookie-cutter suburbs in plastic mcmansions w/no sense of history. The city has excellent old bones, a revitalized waterfront, and excellent prospects for revitalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York