Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 04:55 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times

Advertisements

As this article was published in an upstate city (Utica) why aren't they asking what needs to done to attract "minority" teachers up there? NYC has 40% minority teachers a very strong number but they criticize it because it lags behind the
80% who identify as minority students. Go to the schools and recruit future teachers, sell your communities these are educated professionals who most likely came from an urban upbringing and have to be sold on moving upstate. As for Monroe's program I would be curious how many from the suburbs have selected to attend the city schools, I have a feeling the flow is mostly one way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 05:22 PM

5,693 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
As this article was published in an upstate city (Utica) why aren't they asking what needs to done to attract "minority" teachers up there? NYC has 40% minority teachers a very strong number but they criticize it because it lags behind the
80% who identify as minority students. Go to the schools and recruit future teachers, sell your communities these are educated professionals who most likely came from an urban upbringing and have to be sold on moving upstate. As for Monroe's program I would be curious how many from the suburbs have selected to attend the city schools, I have a feeling the flow is mostly one way.

There was a similar article in the Rochester D&C a few days ago. Rochester's City News is always advocating for more minority teachers. My confusion is where the same people that want more black teachers in city schools, also want blacks to integrate in the white suburbs. Two opposite concepts.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:53 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
There was a similar article in the Rochester D&C a few days ago. Rochester's City News is always advocating for more minority teachers. My confusion is where the same people that want more black teachers in city schools, also want blacks to integrate in the white suburbs. Two opposite concepts.
I think the suburban integration is based on the concept of having the students attend school with a demographic that isn't %80+ free or reduced lunch eligible. What your not seeing are suburban parents who are willing to be urban pioneers with their child's education.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:20 AM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
I think the suburban integration is based on the concept of having the students attend school with a demographic that isn't %80+ free or reduced lunch eligible. What your not seeing are suburban parents who are willing to be urban pioneers with their child's education.
This, as the Rochester area Urban Suburban program is designed to decrease concentration of poverty within the urban school system and for voluntary integration into select suburban schools. That answers your previous post in that regard.

I think the NYC reference is in regards to the numbers there versus being a criticism of the NYC "minority" teacher percentage.

As JW mentioned, this is an article that was mentioned in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle as well(teacher percentage source in article comes from that paper). There are Upstate NY school districts that are trying to recruit said teachers into their systems. I know for a fact that the Syracuse City SD is looking to Historically Black Colleges Universities in order to recruit teachers and it is an issue that has been brought up in regards to districts such as Binghamton and Auburn. So, it may be a matter of what steps some districts are taking, if they are taking them at all, to diversify their teaching staff.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-01-2020 at 12:58 AM..

Old 02-01-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:

No, that's not what I'm talking about. It's the urban, left leaning media that is pushing this. Mostly City "newspaper".

Old 02-01-2020, 07:48 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
No, that's not what I'm talking about. It's the urban, left leaning media that is pushing this. Mostly City "newspaper".
What are the suburban and rural right leaning media pushing?

Old 02-01-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
What are the suburban and rural right leaning media pushing?

Who would that be and why do you assume they would be right leaning?

Old 02-01-2020, 08:55 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I noticed that but I also noticed that most of The diversity advocates denouncing income inequality are rich white people living in cloistered communities
Of course, the hypocrisy of this is mind boggling.

Diversity is one variable among many. It does no good to complain that most teachers are white when it's mostly white people who are in the educational pipeline to be teachers. Part of the problem is that it costs a lot of money to become a teacher because of all the educational requirements from overpriced schools that don't necessarily add to a person's quality as a teacher. Maybe the government should look at revamping the requirements, because right now, it really helps to come from a well off family that can pay for all the education. Doing it all on your own will result in crippling debt.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:15 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
Who would that be and why do you assume they would be right leaning?
I am just responding to the previous poster who stated that 'left leaning urban media' had been pushing. So, I asked a similar question for right leaning.

I did not assume anything, just asking, because if one assumes some media leans left, then that assumes others lean the other way.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I am just responding to the previous poster who stated that 'left leaning urban media' had been pushing. So, I asked a similar question for right leaning.

I did not assume anything, just asking, because if one assumes some media leans left, then that assumes others lean the other way.

HaHa. Funny response. You say you don't assume, and then you "assume".

Actually, I guess if you are looking for the ying and the yang, the opposite would be "right leaning urban media"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York