Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 09:42 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,093,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wear a helmet so you don't whack your head when jumping so high to conclusions. Who said I was a Democrat?

If you've been following the thread, you would realize that my statement that you and your bud up there are isolating to make into something else was a response to this post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57448668-post35.html

I have immediate and extended family members who support Trump. I have friends who support Trump. I just do not discuss politics with them. Trump is temporary, he is not the issue, and he will be long gone or dead before I move upstate.

The people aren't going to change when Trump isn't around anymore. Always been that way. Always will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 08:07 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Relax, you're taking this a little too personal. There was another person in the Rochester (or Buffalo?) forum vehemently stating that he didn't want to live in Trump country and was insulting everyone. That's why JWRocks said what he said.

There seems to be a theme in this forum lately about people not wanting to live near Trump supporters, but yet they want to live in the beautiful countryside Upstate. So, they want to live in an area that is nice (and made that way by the very people they don't want to live around). Its a little perplexing to people like me.
OK. I actually despise pretty much all high-level politicians because they have to be slimy to some degree to get where they did in the first place. Years of working in the public sector has taught me that party doesn't matter. Unfortunately, politicians are a fact of life that we have to live with.

I have spoken with Donald Trump. We had a telephone conversation back in 2014 regarding a business matter, long before anyone could have guessed what would happen two years later. At the end of the conversation, he said I was terrific and that everyone I'd dealt with at the Trump organization thought so. That just goes to show that no one is ever 100% wrong.

There really is beautiful country upstate, and in my travels up that way, I've met some very nice people. Stereotypes don't help us get to know one another.

I appreciate the information on this thread about specific areas.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:11 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Quote:
OK. I actually despise pretty much all high-level politicians because they have to be slimy to some degree to get where they did in the first place. Years of working in the public sector has taught me that party doesn't matter. Unfortunately, politicians are a fact of life that we have to live with.

I have spoken with Donald Trump. We had a telephone conversation back in 2014 regarding a business matter, long before anyone could have guessed what would happen two years later. At the end of the conversation, he said I was terrific and that everyone I'd dealt with at the Trump organization thought so. That just goes to show that no one is ever 100% wrong.

There really is beautiful country upstate, and in my travels up that way, I've met some very nice people. Stereotypes don't help us get to know one another.

I appreciate the information on this thread about specific areas.

Good post. Thanks

I think that what people don't understand, is that Trump isn't a politician, and he seems to want to expose the slime. That's why he get's so much resistance

Old 03-07-2020, 09:44 AM

93,293 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Good post. Thanks

I think that what people don't understand, is that Trump isn't a politician, and he seems to want to expose the slime. That's why he get's so much resistance
I think it varies as some may talk about his discrimination in the past in regards to rentals/housing, the Central Park 5 ad and some of the comments during the election that cause resistance for some. Meaning, some of the resistance isn’t necessarily from politicians, but content that may rub some people the wrong way from what I’ve heard in some circles. This goes back to the statements about not everything is necessarily “politicized” in terms of resistance towards him. However, this could go for any politician, even if they are in the same party affiliation, as all(people) have baggage.

To Mightyqueen, just curious, but are you looking strictly in the Watertown area or would you be looking at other areas along I-81 too?

Old 03-07-2020, 05:16 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Although this doesn't address the OP's original point as to why NYS looks more ramshackle compared to neighboring states, there's another thing I'd add. NYS gets a lot of cloud cover, but you'd be surprised how it gets less rain than you would think. A very common day in NY is cloud cover without rain. Which IMO can look a little depressing.

This is true in PA too, where I live. Cloudy state, but rains far less than the South. In NC, when its cloudy, it usually rains. I spent 7 days in Atlanta a few years back and it rained every.single.day. That's rare around here.

Rochester only gets 33" of rain per year, which is less than the US average actually (38"). But it is one of the cloudiest US cities. We get a lot of cloudy days but no rain. Atlanta gets 52" of rain, as a comparison.

NYS gets a lot of days like this: https://goo.gl/maps/iskxyxEugLwYr38t7

And not a whole lot like this: https://goo.gl/maps/zeCdMRhywwFEtYm18

And admittedly, the second photo looks very pretty and serene, while the first one looks a little more rust-belty.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think it varies as some may talk about his discrimination in the past in regards to rentals/housing, the Central Park 5 ad and some of the comments during the election that cause resistance for some. Meaning, some of the resistance isn’t necessarily from politicians, but content that may rub some people the wrong way from what I’ve heard in some circles. This goes back to the statements about not everything is necessarily “politicized” in terms of resistance towards him. However, this could go for any politician, even if they are in the same party affiliation, as all(people) have baggage.

To Mightyqueen, just curious, but are you looking strictly in the Watertown area or would you be looking at other areas along I-81 too?
Sorry, just saw this. I would be open to other areas. On my way down each month, I stop in Cortland. Of course I am at a hotel just off I-81, so it's not as though I'm exactly immersed in the area overnight, but I look at those local shopper papers, and I see there's always stuff going on there and Ithaca, articles on local artistry (read a pretty interesting article on a guy who makes guitars for some well-known guitarists, for example) and it sounds like an interesting area, too.

Where I live currently (near the Jersey shore) has a lot of that type of thing going on. I belong to a writers group, and I like photography, and while you can do those things everywhere, I enjoy seeing other people's art, music, etc., too.

I'm not exactly "looking" just yet, but trying to get ideas for the future. As I said, I always loved New England, but upstate New York is similarly beautiful geographically, and tax-wise it works better for me than most of the NE states.

I suppose I should also be concerned with being near a center that has good medical facilities. I've been fortunate in that I've enjoyed pretty good health, but I'll be 62 this year, so it's probably something I should pay more attention to than I do.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Sorry, just saw this. I would be open to other areas. On my way down each month, I stop in Cortland. Of course I am at a hotel just off I-81, so it's not as though I'm exactly immersed in the area overnight, but I look at those local shopper papers, and I see there's always stuff going on there and Ithaca, articles on local artistry (read a pretty interesting article on a guy who makes guitars for some well-known guitarists, for example) and it sounds like an interesting area, too.

Where I live currently (near the Jersey shore) has a lot of that type of thing going on. I belong to a writers group, and I like photography, and while you can do those things everywhere, I enjoy seeing other people's art, music, etc., too.

I'm not exactly "looking" just yet, but trying to get ideas for the future. As I said, I always loved New England, but upstate New York is similarly beautiful geographically, and tax-wise it works better for me than most of the NE states.

I suppose I should also be concerned with being near a center that has good medical facilities. I've been fortunate in that I've enjoyed pretty good health, but I'll be 62 this year, so it's probably something I should pay more attention to than I do.
No problem...If you like or want a smaller community, villages such as Homer just north of Cortland, which has this arts center: https://www.center4art.org/ and Dryden in between Cortland and Ithaca put you close (enough in the case of Dryden) to I-81 and are walkable. Both are also close to both of those smaller cities, which also have arts based institutions/events.

Homer is a bit closer to Syracuse for more amenities, including health care. So, that is something to consider. Dryden does have Tompkins-Cortland Community College, which has some events that you may be interested in. https://www.tompkinscortland.edu/ It also has TCAT bus access into Ithaca: https://www.tcatbus.com/schedules-tables-winter

Also, if you don't mind being in a bigger area and need to be near I-81, but still want a more small town community with walkability, villages such as Liverpool and even North Syracuse would be good choices. That would also put you near more medical facilities and a bigger art scene. Between the 2, I'd say that Liverpool has more appeal just on the fact of being able to walk to this park: Onondaga Lake Park » Onondaga County Parks There are also some restaurants, some summer concerts at Johnson Park, a grocery store, a library and this art center: Liverpool Art Center — Artistic Innovations LLC @ Liverpool Art Center among other businesses, that you can walk to.

Just for a frame of reference in regards to Liverpool: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Li...!4d-76.2177046
Concert lineup from last summer: https://www.eaglenewsonline.com/news...eries-returns/

To be fair, North Syracuse does have a nice park system and has an Arts Guild, while being a bigger village. https://northsyracuseny.org/
https://weare.cnyarts.org/directory/...cuse-art-guild

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-12-2020 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-13-2020, 10:24 AM

You are my go-to person for New York info, ckhthankgod!

Old 03-13-2020, 11:26 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Good post. Thanks

Or more often then not he embraces the slime and handles too many situations with the behavior of a 5 year old but that is a reflection on him and his administration but usually not those citizens who support him.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
You are my go-to person for New York info, ckhthankgod!
No problem and just curious, but what would be criteria for what you are looking for?

Just to tie it back to the topic as well, a lot of smaller communities that are more quaint in NY tend to be closer to the bigger cities. So, that may be something else to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York