Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2020, 07:01 AM

11 posts, read 14,652 times

Advertisements

Hi. Can anyone recommend a town/area that is in westchester/putnam/dutchess that is commutable via metro north (a reasonable drive to a metro north station is ok and up to 2hr commute to grand central OK), where the vibe is more country living. I would like to be able to buy a house on ~2 acres of land in the $400k-$650k range, I would like good public school districts, and horse stables near by for lessons as my kids are into that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 10:01 PM

389 posts, read 400,348 times
I would say Pawling and North Salem. They are both on the Harlem mine. Pawling has a unique downtown and is 85 mins to Grand Central.

Croton Falls is the train station for North Salem and is 20 mins closer to Grand Central. Croton Falls is on the other side of 684 but if you live there you will go to North Salem schools. North Salem has a lot of horse riding stables and people that are passionate about those activities.

You should go there and check them out yourself to get a feel of the area. Just be aware living in North Salem will get you a new piece of property, but you will have to drive to Croton Falls or Katonah for the train.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
If by "country style living" you mean "woodsy", then just about anywhere in Westchester and Putnam from Croton or North White Plains northwards has stations within a 10 minute drive of properties with hilly, wooded plots studded with big rock formations, old stone walls, and the occasional horse farm, etc. For the most part, though, real farm country with fields, orchards, the occasional tractor on the road, lots of barns and other farm buildings, and that sort of thing, you are looking at north of I-84.

There are a handful of farms further south in SE Putnam/NE Westchester around the Southeast/North Salem/Brewster area, served by the Harlem line, which is still a relatively easy commute time to Grand Central. This farming valley extends north into Paterson, Pawling, and Wingdale. The train keeps going but you are getting pretty far out. Then again, this is real farm country as you go north, not just woods.

There are also farming areas northeast of Poughkeepsie (Hudson line) near Pleasant Valley, but it really increases north of there. But by there, you are really pushing to the max extent of your acceptable commute times.

Anywhere north and east of Poughkeepsie all the way to the Capital Region and Connecticut border is farm country. But will feel very far out for a reasonable commute to the city in my opinion.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:48 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Try the Hamptons.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:29 AM

5,302 posts, read 6,187,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
I would say Pawling and North Salem.

I'd add Patterson to the Pawling recommendation.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:19 PM

978 posts, read 676,081 times
anywhere from Cold Spring north. Enjoy! Its beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York