Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 AM

4 posts, read 25,735 times

Advertisements

My family and I are going to be relocating to Watertown this summer, my husband will be working at Samaritan Hospital and we are looking to buy something in or around Watertown. I have read about good areas outside of Watertown, but what about good neighborhoods to live in within the city? Are there areas to stay away from? We have lived in bigger cities like Rochester NY and Philadelphia PA, so I am sure Watertown is much different as far as crime. But we are still looking for a nice, safe, quiet neighborhood for our family. How is the area right around the hospital? It would be nice to be close enough for him to be able to do call from our house. We have yet to visit the area, but wanted to know where to start looking. Any information would be helpful, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 28,543 times
Default welcome :)

There are plenty of places you could live in watertown that have a family-friendly atmosphere. Samaritan is actually located in a quiet part of town that is close to everything. When I say that, though, please keep in mind Watertown is not a bigger city like Rochester, so they isn't a LOT to do. However, that also means there isn't much crime. I don't think you will have any trouble finding a nice neighborhood near the hospital, but the housing prices may scare you a bit Good luck with everything.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:46 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,132 times
Some really good neighborhoods near the high school (close to Samaratin) and THompson Park. If you dont want the city schools, Sackets Harbor or Clayton are really nice too. Plenty of urban transplants up there who chose that life. Definitely different than Rochester and Philly, but if you like the outdoors, its incredible.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 19,888 times
I am in the same boat as you and a little scared of the transition. I am also relocating to Watertown,ny this August (my husband is military). We both grew up in Jersey City and established a family in Houston, TX. Can someone pls tell me if the new apartment complex at Starbucks Ave is in a good area? Is the school for that district good? I have a 8 + 5 + 2 yrs old. Can you also tell me where I can start looking for employment? I am a business systems analyst... in short, I analyze data. Oh yeah, I heard there is no airplane that goes there? What is the closest airport? Thanks!

Old 05-25-2008, 08:46 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joan0424 View Post
I am in the same boat as you and a little scared of the transition. I am also relocating to Watertown,ny this August (my husband is military). We both grew up in Jersey City and established a family in Houston, TX. Can someone pls tell me if the new apartment complex at Starbucks Ave is in a good area? Is the school for that district good? I have a 8 + 5 + 2 yrs old. Can you also tell me where I can start looking for employment? I am a business systems analyst... in short, I analyze data. Oh yeah, I heard there is no airplane that goes there? What is the closest airport? Thanks!
Closest hub airport is Hancock Airport in Syracuse.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 17,696 times
My husband and I will be relocating to Ft Drum in July!! Maybe we will be neighbors!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:33 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,758 times
I'm not aware of any bad neighborhoods in Watertown. It will become quite obvious what neighborhood you will like by the condition of the homes that neighborhood.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:07 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,359 times
There are not bad neighborhoods, more like bad streets. However most of the area near the hospital, high school and car dealerships is nice. On the north side of town the area near Starbuck Elementary is nice. The only places you really do not want to live near are Arsenal St or off of State st too close to the square. If you find a home and you want info on the area feel free to pm me, I grew up in Watertown and go back every 3 months. Also General Brown school district is nice, it is located in Brownville, it would only take your husband about 15 minutes to get to work from there.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 AM

133 posts, read 498,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joan0424 View Post
Let me see you grew up in Jersey City, established a family in Houston, TX and you want to know if the Starbucks Ave. apartments are safe? Hmmmm. Yes don't worry Watertown may look dilapadated and dangerous but you don't have to worry about violent crime around here (unless you go looking for it in bars). With that being said, welcome to Fort Drum.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:02 PM

93,247 posts, read 123,876,708 times
As a former Fort Drum soldier, Watertown isn't that bad at all in terms of crime. Pretty much a quiet city. Very nice neighborhoods near the hospital and that area has historically been the rich part of the city. It used to be South half of the city is the richer part and the norther half was the more working class part. It is diverse due to the military presence and it is the same in the schools of the Watertown City, Carthage, Indian River and somewhat increasing in the surrounding school districts like 1000 Islands, General Brown, South Jefferson and Lyme, among others. There are good schools all over the area including the city of Watertown. Closest major airport is Hancock located just north of Syracuse, eventhough Watertown's airport is actually an international airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York