Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 05:14 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,095,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I am aware of the Lake Ontario lake level issues but I thought that was for increased production through Canadian plants. I think the US Plants are all tapped out, what they produce is all ready spoken for so i'm thinking something more downstate will be needed to fill the gap.

The plant on the St. Lawrence is a joint plant. Keeping the water higher, so more goes through the turbines instead of overflow. They have run new power lines up the Hudson river. The high water has caused billions in damage along the shore to private and public property. Cuomo's "green" agenda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 08:25 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:
It may be time to replace it based on its natural life but what does ConEd have to replace what it generates?
Con Ed has announced that 3 gas turbine power plants will replace the output from Indian Point 2 and 3.

Note: Gas turbines are internal combustion engines.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:53 AM

729 posts, read 533,075 times
[quote=Wells5;57410582]Con Ed has announced that 3 gas turbine power plants will replace the output from Indian Point 2 and 3./QUOTE]

So I am now confused. New gas turbine plants but no new gas pipelines to supply the gas?

Old 02-24-2020, 09:06 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
[quote=GoldenHair;57410853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Con Ed has announced that 3 gas turbine power plants will replace the output from Indian Point 2 and 3./QUOTE]

So I am now confused. New gas turbine plants but no new gas pipelines to supply the gas?
Yup!

Old 02-24-2020, 09:10 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Con Ed has announced that 3 gas turbine power plants will replace the output from Indian Point 2 and 3.

Note: Gas turbines are internal combustion engines.
Thank you, I'm quite familiar with gas turbine engines from the Navy. Is it intended that they will burn natural gas or another petroleum product?

Old 02-24-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Thank you, I'm quite familiar with gas turbine engines from the Navy. Is it intended that they will burn natural gas or another petroleum product?

Natural gas. This doesn't mean that the plants will be in Buchanan, NY. One of the replacement plants will be in New Jersey, that I remember. The information on replacement power was in Con Ed's annual report for 2018 or 2019. You can look through them at the site below.

https://investor.conedison.com/finan...annual-reports

Old 02-27-2020, 03:49 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
So dumb, natural gas is the cleanest of all fossil fuels. They would rather burn thousands of gallons of dirty diesel for trucks to deliver the gas instead

So so dumb

Old 02-28-2020, 08:49 AM

Below is the text from Con Ed's 2018 annual report concerning replacement power for Indian Point 2 & 3.

In November 2012, the NYSPSC directed CECONY to work with NYPA to develop a contingency plan to address reliability concerns associated with the potential closure of the nuclear power plant at the Indian Point Energy Center (which is owned by Entergy Corporation subsidiaries). In January 2017, New York State officials announced that, under an agreement reached with Entergy, one of the two nuclear reactors at Indian Point is scheduled to shut down by April 2020, while the other is scheduled to be closed a year later. In December 2017, the NYISO indicated that the two units may be retired on or after these dates. The NYISO also indicated that over its ten-year planning period, through 2027, there is no anticipated reliability need if three expected units finalize construction and enter service. Two of the units, Bayonne Energy Center II Uprate (Zone J, 120 MW) and CPV Valley Energy Center (Zone G, 678 MW) entered service in 2018 (with the latter in litigation regarding its air permit) and the other unit, Cricket Valley Energy Center (Zone G, 1,020 MW), is under construction and has a 2020 target in-service date. In December 2018, the NYSPSC directed CECONY to work with the NYSPSC staff and others to develop a contingency plan to address reliability concerns associated with the potential retirement of fossil-fueled electric generating units that are owned by others and generally used for meeting periods of high electric demand...

All of the replacement power is gas turbine.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:34 AM

6,447 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Andy and his merry band of wackaloons are against any progress in moving towards a healthy mix of energy production and distribution in NY.

I dropped this article here to show the utter insanity that is NY state government, and the state judiciary that often times backs up decisions made at the state level.
A situation like this, makes it hard to believe that there isn't any political $$$ involved, swaying the decision. It also raises the question(s), how did he (and his cronies) get elected in the first place, and subsequently, continues to get elected. Are the residents that blind and/or dumb??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
So dumb, natural gas is the cleanest of all fossil fuels. They would rather burn thousands of gallons of dirty diesel for trucks to deliver the gas instead.

So so dumb
Indeed.....which raises the question, based somewhat off my above comments, maybe the checks didn't clear the bank after all??

Old 02-29-2020, 06:05 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Are the residents that blind and/or dumb??
Yes they are. They have voted themselves into a one party system, one party rule. The Democrats control everything in NY. There is no checks and balance. There is no fear or repercussions from bad or corrupt decisions.

Just look at deBlasio in NYC. Six years of bad leadership, terrible failing programs, billions of wasted tax payer money with nothing to show for it but yet not a peep from the liberal media or pushback from the residents. The ones that are not happy just flee the city and state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York