Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2020, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 1,037 times

Advertisements

My husband, myself, and 2 neutered cats are moving from Maryland to New York within the next few weeks. He is currently already there staying with family while securing employment and searching for housing. Myself and kitties are still in Maryland. We are interested in signing a lease April 1st.
We have lived in the same apartment for 9 years now and unfortunately due to his parents age and health we need to relocate to New York asap. The areas he is interested in are Vestal, Endwell, Endicott, Apalachin, and last choice Owego. He is from that area and I am not so I'm just going by what he's told me. He is secured a job with New York State School System starting in the next few weeks, meanwhile working for Lowe's to keep income going. We currently pay around $900 a month where we live including utilities so are looking for something between $700 - $800 plus utilities. We would like a 2 bedroom..pet friendly..and a washer and dryer in unit if possible. Other than that, we aren't very picky except that it's clean and quiet as we are both 50 and prefer early to bed and early to rise.
Our cats are very well behaved...neutered and up to date on all shots....and sleep most of the day. They have never caused any damage where we live and we come with great rental references...in fact our current landlord hates to see us leave and constantly states we have been his best tenants ever. My husband is a contractor by trade so is able to make repairs when needed and very responsible in the care of our home.
So far we haven't had much luck in finding a place. I would prefer a private home ( private entrance) over an apartment complex if possible. So I'm reaching out hoping that someone may see this that has something available for a very quiet responsible married couple just wanting to be near our elderly parents to help in their care. Security deposits, lease signing etc are not an issue, we are planning to stay in New York. If anyone has any suggestions, please reach out to us. I'm new to posting on this forum so my apologies if I've done anything out of the norm. Thanks so much for your time. Sincerely, Mr & Mrs. R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 10:43 AM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
When you say “New York State School System”, do you mean Binghamton University? I’m only asking because it is in the State University of New York(SUNY) system. Same for Broome Community College. Binghamton University is in Vestal and Broome CC is in Chenango. So, that could help determine where to look.

Also, use the search space to search for similar threads and hopefully others will chime in with more input.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:15 PM

Thank you so very much for your response. I just called and asked him to be more specific with me about the School employment. He said it's called Vestal Central School System with a state retirement plan if that makes any sense. He also stated he wants to stay in the triple city area but not neccesarily Binghamton and I think he mentioned Owego being a little far. He prefers Vestal, Endwell, and Johnson City. His parents live in Apalachin. Hope that helps clear up what I am very much unfamiliar with. Again, thank you for trying to help. Any suggestions at all are much appreciated.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:31 PM

961 posts, read 2,503,564 times
Distance is a relative thing....depending on traffic, location, etc..From a couple miles noth and east of Owego(where I live) to that Lowe's store in Vestal you mentioned...30 minutes or less...the trick is not to be too far from a major roadway...

Old 03-05-2020, 06:43 PM

I really can't speak on distance of anywhere up there...I can barely find the corner store and it's right at the bottom of the hill in his parents development....( somewhat joking..but not by much lol) I literally know nothing there and only go places with my husband or in-laws. I'm too afraid on my own to venture out in an area I know nothing about. I've lived in Maryland my entire life (49 years) and have only visited my in-laws home and I stay there the entire visit or as I mentioned...only go places with them. I think for now he's more concerned about distance for his permanent job ( Vestal School system), than the temporary job at Lowe's. ( which I believe is only maybe 2 or 3 more weeks before his permanent job begins)....And of course being close to his parents in an emergency is also a huge concern for us both being the main reason we are relocating.
This is why we aren't trying to be too picky.....first we have 2 cats and so many places are not pet friendly so that's a huge strike against us from the beginning. Also, moving from a different state shows new employment, however our prior employment as well as apartment were both long term, same apartment and same jobs for 9 years. We aren't huge on change, nor chaos, so we tend to live very quiet and not much change over the years. It's very stressful knowing that the end of the month is getting closer. We know we make great tenants and any landlord would love to have us, but that's not easy to prove before renting from someone. I'm really hoping to find something safe, clean, quiet and I think I mentioned a washer and dryer in unit would be a bonus. We both can live without a lot of other luxuries.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:42 PM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
This complex in Endicott appears to be a good fit. https://www.apartmentfinder.com/New-...are-Apartments

It is close enough to Vestal schools across the Susquehanna River and to the in laws in Apalachin.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:17 AM

961 posts, read 2,503,564 times
..Not to be repetative..but don't overstress on the distance thing. There's not that much traffic on the roads in this area. A lot of the workers at the Lockheed Martin plant in Owego come each day from Apalachin and others towns east of Owego. It's not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York