U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 657 times

Advertisements

Please advise what options are available for somebody in my situation.

I live with my mom whose 70 years old with cardiovascular disease. She’s already had a bypass after heart surgery along with multiple stents. She’s considered extremely high risk of catching and not surviving this virus. She takes about 20 different medications for her cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure everyday. I was working for a Cellphone retail store that shutdown March 17 but opened on April 1st because they were given a essential business letter.

My manager was going to take two other employees off the schedule on April 1st but I told him my situation so he took me off the schedule instead of those employees since they were opening back up with less hours and less staff than usual. They said they would continue to pay 75% of my salary until father notice. They never paid and after repeated requests I ended up filing for unemployment. But then they paid for only 2 weeks after 4 weeks of begging them. I didn’t certify my claim during the weeks they paid.

But now starting May 1st they went back to normal hours and called me to come back to work or stay home without getting paid. The district manager that called me sounded really apathetic and condescending. He initiated the conversation by asking me if I’m sick. I said no and then he said so what’s going on pretending like he had no idea why I wasn’t at the store all month. I’m 100% sure my managers and “HR” have discussed everything with him already and they’ve been brainstorming on how to fire me. Then he went onto trying to shame me into coming to work by saying nobody will hire me if I lose this job. He basically didn’t care about my situation and he sounded highly skeptical of my situation to begin with. It’s bad as it is going through so much anxiety and depression because of this Pandemic. He told me I have until May 15th to come back to work or I’m guessing they’ll consider it job abandonment.

I need help because I don’t know what to do. My moms doctor is advising her to make me file for paid family leave since I’m the only person that’s living with her and I take care of her. But I don’t know how I’m going to get all the information that’s required to fill out the forms since my employer is really messed up. They never gave employees paid time off even though its required by New York State. They never even provided employees with paystubs ever since we signed up for direct deposit. They haven’t given employees paystubs for at least a year when that’s also required by New York State. I emailed Andrew Cuomos office a month ago but I’m sure they are super busy.

The reason I’m trying to contact the governor is because I saw Texas has made an official announcement on this matter but there’s literally no information about this coming from New York.

Texas Gov Greg Abbott said you can refuse to work and file for unemployment if “Household member at high risk: you live with People 65 years or older who are at a higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19.”

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-coron...abbott-1501448
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 08:12 AM

13,516 posts, read 4,748,905 times
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

Look into home care for mom. City funded or out of pocket.
Get back to work. It will only benefit you and your future.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:24 AM

14,398 posts, read 9,275,097 times
Your mom must have had you when she was in your 50’s, right?

Old 05-09-2020, 05:15 AM

21,897 posts, read 33,526,997 times
Is this store part of a national chain? Like are working in a Verizon store?

Filing for FMLA doesn’t require any permission from your employer. You will need documentation from your mothers doctor. Suggest you google FMLA to get started and see if you even qualify.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:40 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,258,021 times
This will be a common problem. Lots and lots of working age adults live with their parents. They can't all go "to a home."

Old 05-13-2020, 03:22 PM

78 posts, read 36,159 times
You need to go back to work...before u enter home santize yourself spray down alcohol etc, wash your clothes and hot shower as soon as possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: