Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 02:00 PM

92,478 posts, read 122,730,787 times

Advertisements

I’m noticing that multiple cities across the state are having issues with people setting off (illegal)fireworks. It has been an issue that has been mentioned in the Syracuse media and I’ve seen reports in the Albany and Rochester media as well. Are there other cities and towns having an issue with fireworks going off through the night?

Just to show some examples: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syr...outputType=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roc...not-alone/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...ts-uneasy/amp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 08:29 AM

So, these are the only cities dealing with this issue currently?

Old 06-19-2020, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 1,915 times
I am interesting will New York deal with this issue too?

Old 06-19-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somers1515 View Post
I am interesting will New York deal with this issue too?
I think it is more of a municipal issue, but there does seem to be a pattern in regards to some cities within the state. In turn, it could serve as a distraction for law enforcement in these cities and could that be a factor in dealing with this issue.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:36 AM

956 posts, read 2,490,432 times
..Pennsylvania is just a short drive due south of where I live. Unless things have changed(I have better things to spend my $ than fireworks), they have this law in Pa, where they can sell fireworks with a report(a bang!), which is not allowed in NY. They also cannot sell to Pa. residents..any fireworks as I recall. NY folks go across the border, spend a lot of $$....and there's your situation. My son and I have heard/seen more "stuff" going off around the 4th than either of us had while with Uncle Sam. The law?...running around at night in suburban and rural areas trying to find who set off a bunch of fireworks is easier said than done.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:14 AM

6,302 posts, read 3,036,541 times
I'm in one of the suburban towns on the eastern fringe of Rochester, and although it's off in the distance, I've been hearing fireworks, on various nights of the week, being shot off for the last 10-12 weeks, between 11PM and midnight..............

And I was recently in a Target store, and saw boxes of fireworks for sale!

Old 06-21-2020, 11:38 AM

11,258 posts, read 18,778,406 times
Wow this is also huge issue downstate in the NYC boros as well as the Bronx-bordering cities of Mt. Vernon and Yonkers. Didn't realize it was happening elsewhere too

Old 06-21-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
..Pennsylvania is just a short drive due south of where I live. Unless things have changed(I have better things to spend my $ than fireworks), they have this law in Pa, where they can sell fireworks with a report(a bang!), which is not allowed in NY. They also cannot sell to Pa. residents..any fireworks as I recall. NY folks go across the border, spend a lot of $$....and there's your situation. My son and I have heard/seen more "stuff" going off around the 4th than either of us had while with Uncle Sam. The law?...running around at night in suburban and rural areas trying to find who set off a bunch of fireworks is easier said than done.
There are billboards in the Syracuse area for this store in PA actually: https://skykingfireworks.com/locatio...ylvania/tioga/

Old 06-21-2020, 04:54 PM

3,552 posts, read 3,034,159 times
Fireworks have been illegal in Buffalo my entire life (well over 50 years), and every year for as far back as I can remember (pretty far) there have ALWAYS been an unlimited supply for sale (illegally) and there have ALWAYS been a tremendous amount of fireworks set off in the city most nights in the summers. People would smuggle in from Canada, or bring truckloads back from Ohio and sell to friends and neighbors. Summers at the playground as a kid was like a battlefield, with bottle rockets and roman candles flying in all directions. Streets would have their own displays, and there was always someone blowing something up (models, cans, just stuff). Every night for the past month there have been some terrific explosion sounds from all directions, and the occasional sky display. Pets don't even care anymore. Last 4th it sounded like Fallujah - the cats slept thru it.

Last edited by RocketSci; 06-21-2020 at 05:05 PM..

Old 06-21-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Fireworks have been illegal in Buffalo my entire life (well over 50 years), and every year for as far back as I can remember (pretty far) there have ALWAYS been an unlimited supply for sale (illegally) and there have ALWAYS been a tremendous amount of fireworks set off in the city most nights in the summers. People would smuggle in from Canada, or bring truckloads back from Ohio and sell to friends and neighbors. Summers at the playground as a kid was like a battlefield, with bottle rockets and roman candles flying in all directions. Streets would have their own displays, and there was always someone blowing something up (models, cans, just stuff). Every night for the past month there have been some terrific explosion sounds from all directions, and the occasional sky display. Pets don't even care anymore. Last 4th it sounded like Fallujah - the cats slept thru it.
I think the Reservations used to have them too. Here is a 1987 NY Times article about the chiefs of the Onondaga Nation shutting down a business that sold them: https://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/03/n...fireworks.html

There is a personal reason why I remember that, as there would be a state trooper just outside of the Onondaga Nation on Route 11/South Salina Street in Nedrow waiting to pull people over after buying them.

I just saw this billboard on my way home earlier today as well: https://www.biggdaddysfireworks.com/

So, I’m wondering if there is a PA to NY State connection.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-21-2020 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York