Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 10:41 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeka17 View Post
So it's idiotic to seek monetary reparation when you have been cheated out of the full value of your worth? Your arrogance is revolting.

No executive is going to go hungry should s/he suffer a pay cut or be laid off. The imbalance of power between employers and laborers in the hiring process is what led to outrageous executive overhead to begin with. Salary reparations would realign an employer's compensation structure to fair market levels. Those executives not willing to take a pay cut could seek employment elsewhere. Within the executive job market there is always someone who can do a better job at a lower rate - this would be especially beneficial in cases where current leadership is so comfortable in their role organizational operations are stale and going no where. Less resources to dole out to leadership would force a company to build a leaner, more effective administration for survival. Lean organizations are beneficial to consumers and also to employees.

A provider of localized services can shut down/move, but regional demand for that service does not go away. Companies need worker bees to survive, you can only cut so many before operations are rendered insufficient. The need for that labor force will be present as long as there is consumer demand for services, regardless of what company provides the services.

As far as companies based in New York that provide services remotely, they already are fleeing New York State. New York State is a **** show for employers. I don't think the fear of companies leaving New York State warrants the argument for salary reparations invalid.
Quote:
What an ignorant, condescending response. Maybe YOU never found this to be an issue, but obviously others have or there wouldn't be a law banning the practice.

If sharing your salary history gets your rocks off, that's great, no one is stopping you. But it never should have been mandatory for applicants that do not share your sentiment.

Business owners are not the target of my petition. Employers were legally entitled to mandate an applicant share that information and had no reason not to take this advantage (they'd be foolish not to). My issue is with New York State Government not intervening before 1/6/2020. I do realize salary reparations would impact employers, but it would be a redistribution of wealth back to where it should have gone to begin with.
Insulting people who disagree with you, probably not the best way to get people on your side. Just sayin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 07:03 PM

9 posts, read 4,573 times
I found the comments ignorant, condescending and arrogant. Using One's subjective experience to deny there is a problem removes everyone else, with their own subjective experiences, from the equation. I find it very self centered.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:10 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
So it's idiotic to seek monetary reparation when you have been cheated out of the full value of your worth? Your arrogance is revolting.

Let me get this strait. You accepted a job and pay, but now you think the company cheated you?

Old 08-04-2020, 02:17 PM

I think the New York State government has cheated New York State laborers, in particular those working in public sector jobs, by allowing employers to have the upper hand in the labor market over its own tax paying constituents funding these employers.

Here is an article that should help you understand the basic concepts my argument is built upon:
https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content..._harris_pp.pdf

Enjoy!

Old 08-05-2020, 09:07 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Quote:
This is not a retroactive punishment. This is the realignment of wages to what they would be in a fair job market had employers not had the competitive advantage. The new law acknowledges there is an issue and guards against future damage but does nothing to true up the historical damage the practice caused the working class - which is what current wages are based on. This makes it very much a present day problem.
You can't just change the word to avoid this being an unconstitutional ex post facto law. If you require a government entity to do something that removes money from someone else for behavior that was legal at the time of the behavior, call it whatever you want but the constitution of the United States doesn't allow it.

Or are you suggesting that the government should be setting private sector wages prospectively?

Maybe you'd be better off in a country that has fewer limitations on the power of its government. Iran, China, and North Korea immediately come to mind but I'm sure there are others that would align with your belief system as well!

Old 08-06-2020, 04:12 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Response:

People are entitled to opinions.
Laws can be changed but walk into an office looking for work demanding high pay or
simply from any other state and red flags are gonna rise. Only time will tell if you pass the pro
visionary period by acclimating to the fast pace and high demands of a New York City Environment
before the wages you request are dished out.

You can not underestimate the keen senses of a New York City employer.
Employees who are hungry will always look to get ahead by out performing their coworkers.
That's why it's called a rat race. To dish out a flat rate pay results in employees monitoring
each other worried that if doing more or less than leading to production loss rather than gain.
It is always good practice to never know what the person next to you is making.
Employers will always tell you this upon hiring or giving you a raise. They'll say "Never tell
any body what you are making". I worked alongside the bosses son for years outperforming
him while teaching him my skill sets. Never spoke about how much we made. I always had
an idea. Only made sense.One day he dropped his pay-stub in the locker room and I found it.
He was making 4X more than me per week. I was devastated. I never told him. I never shared
this information with anybody. Stuck the stub back in his locker. From that day forward I never
went out of my way to teach him. Let him learn the hard way. Trial and error. From that day I learned
that it will never be a fair game in this world. You just have to work harder so that you can ask for more
money so you can think you are getting paid more than the guy next to you. Don't like it ?
Well then go out and start your own business.........................Best Wishes.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 08-06-2020 at 04:24 AM..

Old 08-06-2020, 02:40 PM

The labor market should operate in a way that does not allow an employer (buyer of labor) to suppress an applicant's (seller of labor) wages. It is the entire premise of any market economy. I'm not quite sure where the idea came in that I want the government to set private sector wages (I don't think government should set private or (nongovernmental) public sector wages).

With regard to private employers I am indifferent to compensation restructuring if I am not a shareholder. But with regard to public sector employers that get a piece of NYS taxpayer funding, wages need to be trued up. Base level employees produce value that remains uncompensated while executive hierarchies bask in wealth not earned. These hierarchies have no impetus to change and that is why NYS government needs to step in to mediate the process of compensation realignment.

I've noticed most of the replies I have received in this forum imply a direct working relationship between an employee and whoever is setting that employee's wage. That is not the case with many larger organizations. There are situations where a supervisor has absolutely no control over an employee's salary, regardless of how hard that employee works. There are companies where a centralized Human Resource department has complete authority with regard to applicant and internal employee wage determination, and job code salary ranges with $20,000+ variance between minimum and maximum annual salary. These HR departments have been zeroing in on the applicant's past wages and doing a slight markup to determine salary offers. The 1/6/2020 clause does not help employees within a company if the base rate remains the same as it was prior to this date. I am not talking about CEO jobs here, I am talking about base level essential employees (environmental services, food service, maintenance, care technicians…). Many of these employees can’t afford to NOT have a job, which gives employers a steady work stream despite wage inequities.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:22 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
This is not a retroactive punishment. This is the realignment of wages to what they would be in a fair job market had employers not had the competitive advantage. The new law acknowledges there is an issue and guards against future damage but does nothing to true up the historical damage the practice caused the working class - which is what current wages are based on. This makes it very much a present day problem.
I take it you're not voting for Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: