Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 03:58 PM

6,420 posts, read 4,917,410 times

Advertisements

Are you 100% sure they can get the smell of smoke out? We looked at a house where the lady was a smoker and the house reeked. It gets into everything. The heating ducts, if forced air, carpet, drapes, the furnace, everything. It would drive me crazy and I wouldn't be happy unless it was completely gone.

https://www.servicemaster-dak.com/bl...ell-after-fire

Is your deal contingent on satisfactory remediation of the problem? If not it, should be.

"She put serious money into making it really nice and she clearly has money to spend" most likely covered by the insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 02:02 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Keep in mind....when you go to sell the house, you will be required to disclose that there was once a fire in it. As a potential buyer, that would make me R U N!

Old 08-23-2020, 12:13 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Many things can be hidden behind new drywall. I was watching Flip or Flop Nashville and a house had been in a fire and they needed to replace a lot of things. Unless you have been able to personally inspect the house, you have no clue what is going on. Is there a reason you haven't been over to the house to see whats going on? What about the burned wood smell? I personally wouldn't touch a "fire sale house" with a 10 foot extension ladder. If it were me I would be over there watching whats going on and dictating how I wanted things remediated. Good luck and don't get burned
Agreed, the structural damage I'd be leery of, among other things.

Old 08-30-2020, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 2,214 times
I’ve purchased many homes over the years. I’d run fast from this sale. Way too many red flags to list. You will be stuck with countless issues from here on out until you find someone else dumb enough to buy a home that’s had a major fire. Significant water damage in the basement can cause black mold in the home’s exterior envelope: basement, walls, roof, siding. This can take years to show up but when/if it does this home would require full mold remediation. Not cheap and frankly no one wants a house with mold and fire issues in its history.
The fact that as a buyer, you don’t have you’re own full team of inspectors in there to look at the damage indicates you’re poorly represented. To rely on the owner is foolish. If you were represented by a licensed broker, that person should insist on an additional inspection period addendum so that you can get you’re own people in there. Mold expert, Smoke and water damage expert, An architect to look at the foundation and joist issues are people you should hire to help advise you. Their fees won’t be expensive in comparison to the mess you’re about to purchase if you’re not careful.

Are you a licensed broker? If not, I’d consider getting someone to represent you. Buyers agent costs you nothing, but their representing you could be the best thing given this situation.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:44 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
Hmmmm.....you are in the NY forum....may I ask where this house is that you are buying ? ( County only )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: