Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 01:05 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinMom View Post
It is interesting the change in how the perception of Dutchess County is now considered downstate. When my folks relocated to Dutchess County in 1951, it was considered Upstate. There were about 150K living in the county then. At the time, there were over 55+ farms within the county. Rt.9 wasn’t a large overgrown parking lot. Even myself growing up, I can remember a couple of times horses got loose at night and walked their merry way through the village of Fishkill without one single car hitting one. Fast forward to 1991. IBM tanks, lays off 11,000. Lots of inexpensive homes on the market, led to a big influx from Westchester, LI and NYC. That’s when more and more were starting to refer to the area as Downstate. Add 9/11 and another stream of folks from the lower counties. Since the 1950’s the population has almost doubled. A big loss of farms sold out for the McMansion cookie cutters that are habitually going up now for foreclosure. Now with the COVID-19, my friends who are realtors back home are being slammed with buyers from again the lower counties. So the perception has completely changed in the last 35+ years of it now being part of downstate and it can largely be accounted to those who moved north. Ask a local who was born there who is over the age of 65+ and you’ll probable get the answer of it being Upstate.
Does some of this depend on where you are in Dutchess County or is this the case for county in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 03:51 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Its more on the marketing and cultural side. Westchester and Rockland are 100% locked in NYC suburbs. The counties to the north - it starts to become more of its own region, separate from NYC.
About 50% of Westchester residents work in NYC. I grew up in southern Westchester. Both my parents worked in Westchester: White Plains, Pleasantville, Valhalla, etc. For a while my mother worked in Danbury. While I would never say it was Upstate, at the same time I feel that my family, and most families I knew that had no connection to the city, would never say we were "NYC people" either.

And while going to the Bronx Zoo or Botanical gardens was a common day trip, going into Manhattan itself was a once or twice a year trip for me growing up, usually under the auspice of a school trip to see the museums, and definitely considered eye-opening and exotic despite the geographic proximity. We spent much more time in the Catskills, skiing and hiking, going to camp, etc. than in Times Square or the Village.

Old 11-02-2020, 04:54 PM

186 posts, read 132,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, anyone denying that there isn't a region called the Southern Tier isn't paying attention. Even the NYSPHSAA called Section 4 the Southern Tier: NYSPHSAA > About NYSPHSAA > General Information > Sections Map

NYSPHSAA > About NYSPHSAA > General Information > Sections Map > IV

It may vary here and there in terms of what is included, but it is a legitimate region name.
That's a map of schools that compete against each other in Friday Night Football.

I can assure you being from Rochester area, they have no right to call themselves the "Southern Tier" in fact,
Tom Reed who is a member of Congress has stated he represents parts of the Southern Tier and his district includes Jamestown, Olean, and Corning. NONE of which are in any of the counties included in your map. I agree, Southern Tier isn't a region its a term to describe a set of counties within miles of the border with PA like others have said.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:51 AM

881 posts, read 529,389 times
Dutchess County - all of it - is downstate.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
That's a map of schools that compete against each other in Friday Night Football.

I can assure you being from Rochester area, they have no right to call themselves the "Southern Tier" in fact,
Tom Reed who is a member of Congress has stated he represents parts of the Southern Tier and his district includes Jamestown, Olean, and Corning. NONE of which are in any of the counties included in your map. I agree, Southern Tier isn't a region its a term to describe a set of counties within miles of the border with PA like others have said.
It can be viewed as a region as well. Even within the sections(5 and 6), they state that they are in the Southern Tier, but they just aren't within the section that is designated as Southern Tier(Section 4). I believe the reason that Section 4 is designated that way is because that is where most of the regional population is located.

That is the thing, there is a lot of regional crossover. For instance, Ithaca HS plays in Section 4, but is in the Finger Lakes and is many times assigned to the Central NY region. So, some places may be put in multiple regions.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:26 AM

117 posts, read 74,625 times
Quote:
It can be viewed as a region as well. Even within the sections(5 and 6), they state that they are in the Southern Tier, but they just aren't within the section that is designated as Southern Tier(Section 4). I believe the reason that Section 4 is designated that way is because that is where most of the regional population is located.

That is the thing, there is a lot of regional crossover. For instance, Ithaca HS plays in Section 4, but is in the Finger Lakes and is many times assigned to the Central NY region. So, some places may be put in multiple regions.
Never has Ithaca been "assigned" to Central NY region. The OPRHP specifically states that Tompkins County (in which Ithaca is the county seat of) is in the Finger Lakes Region.

The "sections" you speak of are regarding middle/high schools prioritizing their modified, JV and Varsity Football, Soccer, Lacrosse and Basketball games which is nothing to do with tourism, forestry and historical preservation.

Old 11-03-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
Never has Ithaca been "assigned" to Central NY region. The OPRHP specifically states that Tompkins County (in which Ithaca is the county seat of) is in the Finger Lakes Region.

The "sections" you speak of are regarding middle/high schools prioritizing their modified, JV and Varsity Football, Soccer, Lacrosse and Basketball games which is nothing to do with tourism, forestry and historical preservation.
I’m not talking about the OPRHP or just sections for HS sports, but in other things like this entry: https://www.cnybj.com/well-now-urgen...rea-locations/

They may be put in CNY due to Syracuse being a media market the area is covered under.

There are many ways as to why a region is formed.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:21 AM

117 posts, read 74,625 times
Quote:
I’m not talking about the OPRHP or just sections for HS sports, but in other things like this entry: https://www.cnybj.com/well-now-urgen...rea-locations/

They may be put in CNY due to Syracuse being a media market the area is covered under.

There are many ways as to why a region is formed.
This is simply a news source covering a Western NY based Urgent Care chain. I existed out of the article as I did not see any indication as to Ithaca being CNY but only that Ithaca was simply a location closer to Syracuse in relation to Rochester rather than Buffalo.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
This is simply a news source covering a Western NY based Urgent Care chain. I existed out of the article as I did not see any indication as to Ithaca being CNY but only that Ithaca was simply a location closer to Syracuse in relation to Rochester rather than Buffalo.
Oops...My mistake. I meant to post this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_New_York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York