Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 07:53 AM

92,496 posts, read 122,761,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
I'll stand by my post..anyone in the area I mentioned who has lived there a long time, knows the counties..and parts of a couple counties as the southern tier.
Yeah, anyone denying that there isn't a region called the Southern Tier isn't paying attention. Even the NYSPHSAA called Section 4 the Southern Tier: NYSPHSAA > About NYSPHSAA > General Information > Sections Map

NYSPHSAA > About NYSPHSAA > General Information > Sections Map > IV

It may vary here and there in terms of what is included, but it is a legitimate region name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 03:40 PM

973 posts, read 1,391,790 times
Regarding regions, in many instances, "Hudson Valley" includes areas north of Westchester and Rockland, but not Westchester and Rockland themselves. Not in all instances, clearly, but the Hudson Valley region is many times linked to the Poughkeepsie/Newburgh area (and the vast areas around them) at the exclusion of the two counties next to the city. This is part of the reason why defining regions is difficult, and in different contexts, different terms mean different things.

Of the top of my head, I would guess that in areas of governance, Hudson Valley includes Westchester and Rockland. But in commercial or business areas, it is often defined to exclude these two southern counties.

And then you have interstate regions - Rockland has many ties to Bergen County and NJ in general. Similar to Westchester and CT.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:37 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,241,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
Actually the OPRHP says that areas along the Pennsylvania border could be in any of a few regions https://parks.ny.gov/regions/

Not ONE of them is called "Southern Tier"

If you want to argue that the Southern Tier is a random, undefined unofficial region of New York by citing a map that defines the widely accepted and used 'Hudson Valley region' into the 'Taconics/Palisades region', and the 'North Country' into 'Ten Thousand Islands/Adirondacks', then OK, but don't expect anyone to take your argument seriously.

But in my opinion that map is far from the authoritative list of NY regions. It is one defined by the State Parks Dept. for their convenience.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:33 PM

117 posts, read 75,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you want to argue that the Southern Tier is a random, undefined unofficial region of New York by citing a map that defines the widely accepted and used 'Hudson Valley region' into the 'Taconics/Palisades region', and the 'North Country' into 'Ten Thousand Islands/Adirondacks', then OK, but don't expect anyone to take your argument seriously.

But in my opinion that map is far from the authoritative list of NY regions. It is one defined by the State Parks Dept. for their convenience.
You must not be from here.

EVERYONE refers to Jefferson and St. Lawrence Counties and areas east of there that border Canada as the "Thousand Islands" because there are literally over a "Thousand Islands" found in the St. Lawrence River and lakes within that area. Also, the Adirondacks are a legit region, people even say things like "I'm hiking in the Adriondacks" and people from out of state use the term "Adriondacks" too.

The State Parks Department is using the OFFICIAL regions as defined by the OPRHP, to list their parks.

The other link showing the "southern tier" was something to do with an athletic conference set forth by school districts. School districts established regions to determine what schools take priority in whom they compete against and that is fine, but it includes areas that are clearly not in the legitmate southern tier and as stated, southern tier is a term to define counties bordering PA. Even PA radio stations refer to the counties on both sides of the stateline as the "Twin Tiers" - why would they do that if that wasn't the southern tier?

Old 10-14-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
You must not be from here.

EVERYONE refers to Jefferson and St. Lawrence Counties and areas east of there that border Canada as the "Thousand Islands" because there are literally over a "Thousand Islands" found in the St. Lawrence River and lakes within that area. Also, the Adirondacks are a legit region, people even say things like "I'm hiking in the Adriondacks" and people from out of state use the term "Adriondacks" too.

The State Parks Department is using the OFFICIAL regions as defined by the OPRHP, to list their parks.

The other link showing the "southern tier" was something to do with an athletic conference set forth by school districts. School districts established regions to determine what schools take priority in whom they compete against and that is fine, but it includes areas that are clearly not in the legitmate southern tier and as stated, southern tier is a term to define counties bordering PA. Even PA radio stations refer to the counties on both sides of the stateline as the "Twin Tiers" - why would they do that if that wasn't the southern tier?
Jefferson and St. Lawrence County are generally referred to as the North Country. WWNY, the Watertown CBS affiliate refers to the North Country for anything in its coverage area. Thousand Islands seemed to be more of a tourist reference.

Also, the Southern Tier reference is more something set up by Section 4 or an economic region by the state. WETM, the Elmira NBC affiliate refers to covering the Twin Tiers. Meaning, the Southern Tier of NY and the Northern Tier of PA.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,241,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Jefferson and St. Lawrence County are generally referred to as the North Country. WWNY, the Watertown CBS affiliate refers to the North Country for anything in its coverage area. Thousand Islands seemed to be more of a tourist reference.
I think ErieCanalLvr might just be a tourist. I have never seen anyone so out of touch about NY's regional appellations, except maybe a really provincial NYC or far western NYer who has never been around the state much.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:23 PM

117 posts, read 75,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think ErieCanalLvr might just be a tourist. I have never seen anyone so out of touch about NY's regional appellations, except maybe a really provincial NYC or far western NYer who has never been around the state much.
Thanks for calling me a tourist. However, everyone calls the region where Watertown is up to the border of Canada the thousand islands. Nobody says "i'm vacating in the North Country" the North Country usually is a term referred to the Thousand Islands AND the Adirondacks. The regions set forth by the OPRHP, clearly indicate there is a Adirondack and Thousand Islands region.

I'm not out of touch with "appellations" - simply a term can be used to describe a group of counties based on shared criteria (Southern Tier), or a set of regions based on their position in the state of New York (North Country).

Old 10-17-2020, 10:10 AM

The reason no one says they are vacationing in the North Country is because it covers a wide area in the northern end of the state that can include sub regions within it.

Thousand Islands is a very specific area around the islands. Some sites may include places on the eastern end of Lake Ontario like Sackets Harbor or even Henderson Harbor that technically aren’t in the region, but are close enough. Even the Thousand Islands SD covers essentially the towns of Cape Vincent and Clayton almost up to I-81, with the Alexandria (Bay) SD to the east of I-81 and LaFargeville SD right on I-81 up to the Canadian border. So, that is basically what constitutes the 1000 Region/area.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:22 AM

9,141 posts, read 13,166,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Regarding regions, in many instances, "Hudson Valley" includes areas north of Westchester and Rockland, but not Westchester and Rockland themselves. Not in all instances, clearly, but the Hudson Valley region is many times linked to the Poughkeepsie/Newburgh area (and the vast areas around them) at the exclusion of the two counties next to the city. This is part of the reason why defining regions is difficult, and in different contexts, different terms mean different things.

Of the top of my head, I would guess that in areas of governance, Hudson Valley includes Westchester and Rockland. But in commercial or business areas, it is often defined to exclude these two southern counties.

And then you have interstate regions - Rockland has many ties to Bergen County and NJ in general. Similar to Westchester and CT.
Curious, but I never heard this before. In a state that is divided into regions - who says that Westchester and Rockland are not part of the Hudson Valley? Where else could they be? They are not part of NYC. They are not part of Connecticut or New Jersey. So what else is there?

Old 10-17-2020, 10:37 AM

9,141 posts, read 13,166,846 times
Quote:
Thanks for calling me a tourist. However, everyone calls the region where Watertown is up to the border of Canada the thousand islands. Nobody says "i'm vacating in the North Country" the North Country usually is a term referred to the Thousand Islands AND the Adirondacks. The regions set forth by the OPRHP, clearly indicate there is a Adirondack and Thousand Islands region.

I'm not out of touch with "appellations" - simply a term can be used to describe a group of counties based on shared criteria (Southern Tier), or a set of regions based on their position in the state of New York (North Country).
That is my understanding, the North Country includes both the Thousand Islands/St Lawrence Valley AND the Adirondacks.

But I have no idea what local people in the area see it. The wiki article is vague and seems to contradict itself. At one point it says the North Country borders the "Adirondack mountains to the south" but then also includes 7 counties as the North Country, most of which are deep in the Adirondacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Country_(New_York)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York