Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 2,361 times

Advertisements

I read that he’s going to allow more renter vouchers and stop redlining. I may not understand exactly what this means or if it’s done anymore but we rent in Bayside and am a Latin American looking to move into our first home in Nassau or Suffolk. Is what I’ve read an indication that in the middle class or wealthier areas of nassau and suffolk there’s going to be renters with vouchers and no long island community is exempt from these laws?

I admit I don’t know much at all about real estate or Biden’s plan but it was a headline I read and you guys were super helpful to me 10 years ago when I moved to Bayside. I know my question sounds elementary sorry I thought someone may know if housing will be affected in this way with renters with vouchers moving into their communities.

I didn’t even know they weren’t allowed to before and don’t know what voucher they are referring to.
Thank you. Sorry if this doesn’t make much sense I’m trying to type with a toddler climbing over me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 12:32 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,893 times
It won’t mean much. He is a neoliberal and nyc is mainly effected by its city council and Albany . Kamela is pretty much the president and even libs know it.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
It won’t mean much. He is a neoliberal and nyc is mainly effected by its city council and Albany . Kamela is pretty much the president and even libs know it.
ok thank you. I’m sorry if this sounds stupid I just didn’t know if that meant renters with vouchers will now start moving in (under Biden and Kamala) a lot more possibly in droves to middle class or wealthy areas in long island. thank you

Old 11-07-2020, 12:41 PM

Some one else i spoke to in another forum responded “Not if Biden issues a directive that withholds Federal monies for states and cities who do not join in his plan. Government housing placed smack dab in suburbia that moves poor people from the cities into the suburbs is what they want to do. Say goodbye to your peaceful lifestyle and safe schools.

It started under Obama with his FFFH (Further Furthering Fair Housing) plan, and a President Biden will take it further. Funny how these ideas never seem to affect the neighborhoods they live in.”

Wondering as to your insights on their comment thank you everybody

Old 11-08-2020, 03:17 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Not in as far as I’m concerned.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:51 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3angells View Post
Some one else i spoke to in another forum responded “Not if Biden issues a directive that withholds Federal monies for states and cities who do not join in his plan. Government housing placed smack dab in suburbia that moves poor people from the cities into the suburbs is what they want to do. Say goodbye to your peaceful lifestyle and safe schools.

It started under Obama with his FFFH (Further Furthering Fair Housing) plan, and a President Biden will take it further. Funny how these ideas never seem to affect the neighborhoods they live in.”

Wondering as to your insights on their comment thank you everybody

As always with government programs, they sound good on the surface, but they never consider the secondary consequences of these actions. The federal government built a low income housing project in Greece (Rochester area), and ever since, the police and FD are busier. Very poor construction, as the federal government doesn't have to follow local building codes. School performance has declined.

If they are supporting moving people to the suburbs, what happens to the city as population drops?
When more people move to the burbs, people will move farther out, contributing to sprawl. Many with money will move into the cities. The end result is you will have moved "the city" to the suburbs.

I know it's not a popular viewpoint to have, but the government and politicians can't fix these problems. Only the people themselves can.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:00 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
As always with government programs, they sound good on the surface, but they never consider the secondary consequences of these actions. The federal government built a low income housing project in Greece (Rochester area), and ever since, the police and FD are busier. Very poor construction, as the federal government doesn't have to follow local building codes. School performance has declined.

If they are supporting moving people to the suburbs, what happens to the city as population drops?
When more people move to the burbs, people will move farther out, contributing to sprawl. Many with money will move into the cities. The end result is you will have moved "the city" to the suburbs.

I know it's not a popular viewpoint to have, but the government and politicians can't fix these problems. Only the people themselves can.
Where and are all of these things true? I ask in regards to the last part, because the Greece overall SD grad rate has been 90% on average for the last 2 years available according to the NYSED Report Card for the SD. https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000051588

Old 11-09-2020, 03:58 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post

I agree. The "bedrock" of liberalism, seems to reward the slackers, by "evening out" the efforts of those who actually have a sense of pride, accomplishment, and a work ethic. The goal of the liberals has been to pepper the burbs with "low income housing", apparently thinking that this will somehow motivate people to work harder. It seldom does.

On the east side of Monroe County, you have 'The Pines of Perinton', on the Fairport/Perinton town line, and 'Phillips Village', in Webster. And as mentioned above, those units generate the majority of Police calls in both of those towns. In other words, subsidies generally don't achieve their idealistic goals. And if you force suburban towns into compliance to these housing quotas, by withholding Federal funding for the normal activities that were funded in the past, I think that it will cause some very serious blow-back.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:49 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3angells View Post
I read that he’s going to allow more renter vouchers and stop redlining. I may not understand exactly what this means or if it’s done anymore but we rent in Bayside and am a Latin American looking to move into our first home in Nassau or Suffolk. Is what I’ve read an indication that in the middle class or wealthier areas of nassau and suffolk there’s going to be renters with vouchers and no long island community is exempt from these laws?

I admit I don’t know much at all about real estate or Biden’s plan but it was a headline I read and you guys were super helpful to me 10 years ago when I moved to Bayside. I know my question sounds elementary sorry I thought someone may know if housing will be affected in this way with renters with vouchers moving into their communities.

I didn’t even know they weren’t allowed to before and don’t know what voucher they are referring to.
Thank you. Sorry if this doesn’t make much sense I’m trying to type with a toddler climbing over me .
To be honest, this should have never happened in the first place. Here is a historical illustration of this: https://dsl.richmond.edu/panorama/re...=5/39.1/-94.58 It gives you information from that time(1940) and it is amazing how much things really haven't changed, as many of the aspects given to said areas pretty much exist even today. That's even if the make up of the people change.

So, there is a history behind this that many may not consider. With that said, I don't think you would see some massive rush to said places and in many cases, people automatically assume that is occurring, but from personal experience and extensive research, many times the people that are assumed to fit a stereotype are middle class themselves or have worked their way up in order to afford to live in said community.

You may have some of these pseudo suburban lower income apartment concentrations or buildings, but they are rare and are usually hidden away from the rest of the community. It isn't like said people are dispersed across the community, which kind of defeats the purpose, if you think about it. So, how things are administered plays a part in that too.

With said places, what you may find is that in an apartment complex of say 10-12 buildings, you'll have 1 or 2 that are problem buildings, but the rest of the complex is generally quiet/fine. I'm saying that from knowing people that have lived in similar types of apartment complexes.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-10-2020 at 06:30 AM..

Old 11-10-2020, 10:19 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

With said places, what you may find is that in an apartment complex of say 10-12 buildings, you'll have 1 or 2 that are problem buildings, but the rest of the complex is generally quiet/fine. I'm saying that from knowing people that have lived in similar types of apartment complexes.

So what is your definition of a problem building, or problem tenant specifically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York