Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 05:15 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times

Advertisements

Living under Cuomo and his band of crooks is like living in a communist state. I envy those that have fled, unfortunately many seniors upstate can't afford to move financially or dependency on family for physical conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 05:28 AM

6,409 posts, read 3,125,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Living under Cuomo and his band of crooks is like living in a communist state. I envy those that have fled, unfortunately many seniors upstate can't afford to move, financially or dependency on family for physical conditions.
Bingo!

And even if I/we wanted to move, the question always comes up, "where would we move to"? I'm not a native of western NY, but have been here most of my life. I arrived here as a result of a job transfer by my father. Sure, I've visited other areas, even been back to my home town, a few times. But a visit of several days, doesn't give you a true idea of what it's like, to actually "drop anchor", and live somewhere for the rest of your life. Most every place has it's plusses and minuses.

So, although many of us are indeed "free to go", deciding exactly where to go, is the issue....

Old 11-14-2020, 04:34 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,165 times
Default Don't go....Stay and fight for change

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Bingo!

And even if I/we wanted to move, the question always comes up, "where would we move to"? I'm not a native of western NY, but have been here most of my life. I arrived here as a result of a job transfer by my father. Sure, I've visited other areas, even been back to my home town, a few times. But a visit of several days, doesn't give you a true idea of what it's like, to actually "drop anchor", and live somewhere for the rest of your life. Most every place has it's plusses and minuses.

So, although many of us are indeed "free to go", deciding exactly where to go, is the issue....
I live north of NYC on other side of Hudson...And it is OK here. I lived in NYC, Westchester, and a few other places over the years. So, I am committed to stay here and fight for change. Not a freaking revolution, but getting more active and speaking up...

Even posting to forums like this can give you an opportunity to change one person's thinking...that's something. ....That's the person you made the effort for. And it is the same in your community. Lockdown or no lockdown, you can talk to your neigbors when any opportunity arises....Become the friendly one...

Old 11-15-2020, 12:26 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
If Biden's election sticks, maybe TDS will dissipate to the point were NYer, at least on a statewide basis, will consider electing a Republican. Cuomo has too much of a lock on the state Democratic machine to be unseated in a Dem primary. Maybe a rich, well known Republican can run against him.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:54 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
You mean so he can screw over all 50 states, instead of just one??
There won't be a safe place for New Yorkers to move to when Cuomo takes a position with Biden.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Maybe a rich, well known Republican can run against him.
Mike Bloomberg will throw over a hundred million dollars on whoever is on the dem ticket

Old 11-15-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Living under Cuomo and his band of crooks is like living in a communist state. I envy those that have fled
The problem is they move to Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, etc... and a lot of them continue to vote for dems. Eventually, those states will become democrat majority and will be screwed up like New York

Old 11-16-2020, 01:28 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,277,721 times
Cuomo could very well be vulnerable next time. But, NY is such a heavily democratic state it will take a series of events lining up.

1) Cuomo fatigue, people get sick of people after a while.
2) Corona and the recession will lead to painful unpopular budget and tax decisions.
3) An insurgent left may encourage a third-party candidacy or at the very least depress liberal turnout.
4) a bad national environment for Dems. That also looks likely given Presidential parties tend to lose seats in the midterms.

The main variable is whether Republicans can find a candidate that can win in a blue state. Larry Hogan (MD) and Charlie Baker (MA) have both won in deep blue states. Their basic model was presenting themselves as inclusive, solution oriented pragmatists to serve as a check on the democrat dominated legislatures. They distanced themselves from the national GOP, the culture wars and Trumpism in particular.

In my mind, that is the biggest question can the GOP find a candidate like that or will they go for someone like Carl Paladin who fires up the base but has no shot of winning a general.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You guys want Cuomo out of office because your favorite sports bar had to shut down? Ha.
I'm not exactly anti-Cuomo and basically support the CoVID restrictions as necessary. But, it should be acknowledged that they have massive economic and social costs. Family incomes are suffering, small businesses are being destroyed. Children's education and social development are being impaired in ways that will likely have lasting impacts. Even the seemingly trivial limits on socializing are deviating. Humans are naturally social creatures, social isolation has large negative psychological impacts. Life with out family, friends and group activity, isn't really living.

So even though, I still basically support strict efforts as a necessary evil, I don't dismiss those who raise valid concerns about the trade-offs. Particularly when we have seen so much, frankly, hypocrisy about social distancing/"staying home to stop the spread" when it came to racial justice protests and spontaneous Biden victory parties.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:42 AM

People who like to defeat Cuomo would do well to study Charlie Baker's path to victory in MA: https://www.masslive.com/news/boston...baker_won.html

The basic formula:
1) early and activate engagement with urban and minority voters. GOP won't win a majority of NYC or minority voters, but they need to win enough to hold down the margins.
2) Improving get out the vote efforts.
3) Working with party activists on party unity.
4) Avoiding "angry" culture warrior messaging to win over suburban moderates, reluctant Dems.
5) Lots and lots of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York