Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 PM

469 posts, read 1,639,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I've been researching this topic for a few weeks for a school project and have found many things. The New York State Police Department is the strictest in the country. The background investigation is DEEEEEP, the physcial fitness test is harder, the exams are harder, etc. New York State has also been called the state with the strictest laws. My friend was given a ticket for going 5 over in broad daylight, perfect weather, and a nearly empty highway.

Do you believe New York is too strict? The strictest in the country? And if Hillary Clinton becomes president it will only become worse. She says she's going to outlaw guns in New York State. I don't own one or have one, but that'll destroy hunting for food in upstate NY.
I really hope Hilary Clinton does not become president, New Yorkers hate her execpt for the ones that are not awake. I am from NY and so is my family, I deeply miss the pre-9/11 days. The cops are dumbed down on average (not dissing cops, I have a lot in my family including lieutenants who are amazing) and go forth with the Nazi garb on subways, etc.

It really makes me sad because I want to move to NY and make it their in the music business, but seeing the police state literally makes me sick to my stomach. Its like no one gets it yet yearns for an answer.

Gun control always makes it worse, its not the guns, its the psychotrofic drugs!

Anyway I feel you and coming from all native NYers, it is a complete police state, anyone who disagrees is really in La La Land on this one, like I was before I had to come to terms with what it really is. Makes me extremely sad, but life goes on, we can only work towards waking people up and stopping the police state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 08:44 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
I really hope Hilary Clinton does not become president, New Yorkers hate her execpt for the ones that are not awake
Seeing as how she was re-elected in 2006 with 67% of the vote, and how she won the primary this year with 61 out of 62 counties, I think most people do like her.

Quote:
She says she's going to outlaw guns in New York State. I don't own one or have one, but that'll destroy hunting for food in upstate NY.
Yeah, you know that Supermarket that's open 24 hours a day 2 minutes away from my house in Upstate NY? Screw that. I'm gonna go kill a deer for dinner and eat it raw *eyeroll*

Old 05-18-2008, 10:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
You mean the word is out that Wegmans has been a front for the seedy underground market of roadkill and hunting meat that us upstaters live off of?!?!?!?!?! DAMN WE'VE BEEN EXPOSED!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:17 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
I realize it's not that big of a deal, but you know upstate New Yorkers. Their guns are their life.
Grow up. The venison we take every year is for our consumption. When the police thin herd which are in the suburbs, the meat goes to food banks. Your ignorance is unbeleivable.

Oh, yeah, I grew up on LI and the first shooting I did was duck hunting.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:20 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
I've been to upstate NY many times. I go there during the Winter and during the Summer. We hike and mountain bike in the Adirondacks and we rent a small house for a week near Lake Champlain. I hear a lot of shotguns when I go up there and all the hunting shops there is ridiculous.

I love upstate NY and that comment wasn't meant to be offensive. But many of them will admit that they love their guns.
Go to any sporting goods store and ask for the pamphlets on what are seasons and where for what animals. Also, farmers can get varming permits for animals eating the crops ( esp. deer in the corn).

You are a future cop and anti-gun? I suggest you change the profession.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:51 PM

11 posts, read 86,353 times
I've been pulled over several times in NY State by state troopers for speeding and yet I have NEVER actually gotten a speeding ticket. They seem to give out a lot of warnings. My sister has also been pulled over and let off with warnings.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
I was in the car at the time of his ticket so I think I know what went on. I also know police officers and they say they'll let people go as long as they aren't going 10 over. But giving someone a ticket on an empty highway in broad-daylight going 5 over is ridiculous.
The officer might have been sending a message to both of you as young people. And, the officer might not have given the ticket to someone with 10 years of driving experience, for example, but someone who is younger is more likely to get the citation since inexperience behind the wheel can be dangerous at higher speeds.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:10 PM

52 posts, read 246,299 times
Upstaters and their guns? Try some of the weekend warriors in the fall, fresh off of the Thruway and the Taconic from Brooklyn, Queens and Westchester - ready to shoot at anything that moves in the woods. Guns in the cab and coolers in the back of Escalades, pulling muddy ATVs, escaping the wives for the weekend. I used to bartend at a place in the Catskills during hunting season for extra cash. We would be packed every night, and I would say that about 30% of those in camo were locals. The rest were downstaters, drinking til 2am, ready to head out into the woods at 5am with THEIR guns. Real responsible. If someone is getting pulled over for tag violations, the plate holder is most likely not from upstate dealer. Hunting and gun sports are a draw in upstate NY, to ALL NYer's, not just us hicks who live here. And thank God, some local economies thrive off of hunting season. So why don't you spend more than a week a year upstate before you make such ignorant statements?

The 'police state' comments are a whole other issue....

Old 11-19-2008, 05:39 PM

469 posts, read 1,639,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I've been researching this topic for a few weeks for a school project and have found many things. The New York State Police Department is the strictest in the country. The background investigation is DEEEEEP, the physcial fitness test is harder, the exams are harder, etc. New York State has also been called the state with the strictest laws. My friend was given a ticket for going 5 over in broad daylight, perfect weather, and a nearly empty highway.

Do you believe New York is too strict? The strictest in the country? And if Hillary Clinton becomes president it will only become worse. She says she's going to outlaw guns in New York State. I don't own one or have one, but that'll destroy hunting for food in upstate NY.
Go to Vermont for true liberty (and safety might I add). Vermont is my favorite place, outside of New York City, which I feel has A LOT of police state qualities.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:52 PM

43 posts, read 88,892 times
Default Ignorance

Having worked with Police Officers fro 25 years, I can tell you it is a thankless, dangerous job. You never know which person that you stop is going to try to run over you, shoot you or stab you. Traffic stops are one of the two times that an officer is most at risk. The other is domestic disturbances.

As for people "loving"their guns, I hate mine but I carry it on a regular bais because I have seen a lot more than you have. I have seen a man with a face shredded by a broken beer bottle for no reason. I have seen a man beatren until you could not recognize him as human simply because he was the wrong race. I have seen a young woman who was held down and raped repeatedly by 4 thugs after she got out of the hospital...and so a .38 rides on my hip 24/7.

So your friend got a ticket for 5 MPH over..If he had been going the speed limit or under then there would have been no ticket. Maybe this will be a lesson and he will slow down and save his life. The law is the law and no one should think that they are above it...if you take an action be responsible and take the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York