Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 09:04 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
All I can say is, I am thrilled to be gone from NYS forever. My property taxes are less than 1/3 of what they were in WNY. $8700 on a 240k house, less than 2k here and capped at no more than 3% increase forever. No state income tax, no endless fees, no surly government workers, no snow, no depressing endless grey cloudy days, no retail wasteland, no polluted lake to swim in, no more watching friends and family move away (they all left) etc. FYI I sent my plates back by UPS, so NYS would have no claim on my income, I wanted to leave no doubt that I don't live there anymore. Finally sold my house there at a break even at best, after 11 years. Adios NYS.
Lol & what wonderful state do you live in now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 09:19 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
All I can say is, I am thrilled to be gone from NYS forever. My property taxes are less than 1/3 of what they were in WNY. $8700 on a 240k house, less than 2k here and capped at no more than 3% increase forever. No state income tax, no endless fees, no surly government workers, no snow, no depressing endless grey cloudy days, no retail wasteland, no polluted lake to swim in, no more watching friends and family move away (they all left) etc. FYI I sent my plates back by UPS, so NYS would have no claim on my income, I wanted to leave no doubt that I don't live there anymore. Finally sold my house there at a break even at best, after 11 years. Adios NYS.

Just wondering, where did you move that is great? No snark, I genuinely want to know because I travel around 'Murica and see a ton of places that seem great on paper but really suck in real life.

Like lack of zoning or lax pollution laws. See a lot of places with so much garbage everywhere, and the lack of zoning means ugly billboards and trailers right next to decent homes.

Or brand new cookie-cutter homes made of styrofoam and stucco (that still sell for $300-400k, even in chitty areas).

Friends who have moved to Florida have said that their property taxes went from $8k to 3k, but their homeowners insurance went from $700 to $3500. Not saying you live in Florida, I have no idea.

I haven't found paradise. Even San Diego was a let down.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:01 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Which also makes it at best a royal pain in the ass for residents to do anything.
No thanks.
In my business, I have some onerous regulations and registrations because it is NYS. It pains me. And note that I don't do business in New York because I like the system in and of itself.

But in my previous state, there were no such regulations and the marketplace was swarming with underqualified and entirely unqualified, uninsured, even dangerous competition that drove the value of my services down by undercutting, and these clowns gave a bad name to the whole field.

It was a nightmare of extra expenses and legwork to promote my responsible, trained, experienced business over the hoi polloi and fly-by-nights, and then, in order to actually get clients, I had to accept payments that a New Yorker would scoff at. A $250,000 house with $3000 property taxes sounds like a great deal until you find out that your business only makes a third of what it would in NYS.

I think most people who want to flee NY are at the end of their working life and don't realize that trying to make a decent living in these cheaper, low tax states is not easy except maybe in a few charmed industries (big tech).

As someone who likes deregulation and the free market, it has really been a double edged sword, but paying the fees is easier to me than swimming against the current of fakes and frauds competeing for the same tiny pool of resources compared to NY's gushing flow of wealth and regulatory enforced merit.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:21 PM

6,413 posts, read 4,908,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Lol & what wonderful state do you live in now?
Florida, the Sunshine State

Old 01-28-2021, 03:01 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Florida, the Sunshine State
Lmao. Have fun with that

Old 01-28-2021, 03:34 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In my business, I have some onerous regulations and registrations because it is NYS. It pains me. And note that I don't do business in New York because I like the system in and of itself.

But in my previous state, there were no such regulations and the marketplace was swarming with underqualified and entirely unqualified, uninsured, even dangerous competition that drove the value of my services down by undercutting, and these clowns gave a bad name to the whole field.

It was a nightmare of extra expenses and legwork to promote my responsible, trained, experienced business over the hoi polloi and fly-by-nights, and then, in order to actually get clients, I had to accept payments that a New Yorker would scoff at. A $250,000 house with $3000 property taxes sounds like a great deal until you find out that your business only makes a third of what it would in NYS.

I think most people who want to flee NY are at the end of their working life and don't realize that trying to make a decent living in these cheaper, low tax states is not easy except maybe in a few charmed industries (big tech).

As someone who likes deregulation and the free market, it has really been a double edged sword, but paying the fees is easier to me than swimming against the current of fakes and frauds competeing for the same tiny pool of resources compared to NY's gushing flow of wealth and regulatory enforced merit.
Totally hear ya.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:05 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
The #1 thing, by far, that my in-laws from out west are surprised by when they came to NYS was how incredibly rural it is, even less than 40 miles to NYC. I know that's not what you're asking, but it should be mentioned. Don't come to NYS expecting urban life like you see on TV unless you move to NYC (and Manhattan at that, Brooklyn and Queens just look like any other extra-dense northeastern city). Manhattan is truly small, only 22 sq miles of land. By comparison, the city of Philadelphia is 134 sq miles. Its very surprising to people from way out of state!
Interesting, because in the 1990's I was dating a guy from NYC, and one night I drove him through Arbor Hill, which is a heavily black-populated neighborhood in Albany. He thought he was back in the Bronx again.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:40 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Interesting, because in the 1990's I was dating a guy from NYC, and one night I drove him through Arbor Hill, which is a heavily black-populated neighborhood in Albany. He thought he was back in the Bronx again.
Exactly. Because you know, like Buffalo, Rochester, etc, are like the backwoods. Lol.
The misconceptions regarding NY are ridiculous.
People either think all of NY is Goomba ding dong types and real housewives of Lawn Guyland.
Or, EVERYTHING outside the metro area is backwoods hillbillies and rednecks.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:11 PM

615 posts, read 448,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Almost every city of size has its good parts and its bad parts.
The trick is to stay in the good parts and out of the bad parts.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:43 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Almost every city of size has its good parts and its bad parts.
The trick is to stay in the good parts and out of the bad parts.
That wasn't the point of my post. The point is that we have places upstate that can easily pass for parts of NYC, and can rival the crime rate. Upstate is also not as lilly-white as people think. We have a very wide variety of races/ethnicities up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York