U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 02:23 AM

133 posts, read 123,802 times

Advertisements

What kinds of things should an out-of-stater be careful about or be aware of when moving into the state, in order to avoid any unpleasant surprises? An example: when I moved briefly into NY from California many years ago, I was shocked to learn that if your car insurance lapses you must physically mail your license plates to Albany. I thought that was an absolutely insane, control-freak type law, and it's something I never would have been able to imagine.

Are there any other things an immigrant to the State should watch out for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 05:21 AM

14,398 posts, read 9,213,524 times
First, bring your own lube, because it’s painful to be reamed by Cuomo without it.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:02 AM

3,467 posts, read 5,700,558 times
The jackass in Albany. Over taxed welfare state

Old 11-20-2020, 08:22 AM

Cuomo is not business friendly. He hates western NY big time and we hate him.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:55 AM

6,987 posts, read 3,493,548 times
All of the above ^^^ including:

Insanely high property taxes. We paid almost $12,000 a year for an 1100 sq. ft. 3bdr 1bth home in the semi run down City of Peekskill and that was over 10 years ago when we left. If you rent keep in mind that those taxes are passed on down to the tenants.

Cuomo, Cuomo, Cuomo, and the fact that New York has one of if not thee most corrupt legislatures in the country. New York is one of the leading states for out migration. If you buy a home you may have difficulty trying to sell it later on. It took us over 3 years to sell our old home.

Hostility to anyone who doesn't think like Cuomo. After passing New York's "Safe Act" an oppressive gun control law. He even stated that people that do not think like him are not welcome in New York.

New York City and it's metro area rule the state with an iron fist. It's politicians have total contempt and have ostracized those who live upstate.

Miserable winter's and hot humid summer's.

Quote:
PolitiFact | Yes, New York has more corrupt officials than ...
www.politifact.com/factchecks/2016/sep/19/elaine...
Sep 19, 2016 · "While measuring corruption is a challenge, I think it's fair to say that New York remains one of the most corrupt states if not the most corrupt state." The corruption in New York State is likely ...

How New York Became One Of The Most Corrupt States : It's All ...
https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallp...corrupt-states
May 10, 2013 · How New York Became One Of The Most Corrupt States : It's All Politics Every month seems to bring news that another state official in New York is under indictment. Corruption can happen anywhere ...

Is New York the most corrupt state in the US? | US Message ...
https://www.usmessageboard.com/threa...the-us.681180/
Congratulations, New York, You’re #1 in Corruption By all appearances it is. How fitting that it is at the core of the DNC.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:58 AM

77,757 posts, read 105,758,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Cuomo is not business friendly. He hates western NY big time and we hate him.
Wait...Which one is it? I’m asking given the amount of money put into the Buffalo area for investments.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:05 AM

77,757 posts, read 105,758,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty108 View Post
What kinds of things should an out-of-stater be careful about or be aware of when moving into the state, in order to avoid any unpleasant surprises? An example: when I moved briefly into NY from California many years ago, I was shocked to learn that if your car insurance lapses you must physically mail your license plates to Albany. I thought that was an absolutely insane, control-freak type law, and it's something I never would have been able to imagine.

Are there any other things an immigrant to the State should watch out for?
This should help in regards to some taxation aspects: https://www.retirementliving.com/tax...yoming#NEWYORK

https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-yor...tax-calculator
https://www.tax.ny.gov/research/prop.../resmedian.htm
Exemptions info: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/exemption/index.htm

Information on both sites are baselines, as they can vary by and within a county. I would go to the specific county you are interested in for more specific information.

Where would you be coming from? Where are you looking within the state? What are some other things you are looking for in terms of a neighborhood, housing, transportation, education, etc.? Answering those questions would help offer insight to what YOU are looking for. I say that because some things that bother some may not bother you and vice versa. This really goes for any state.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-20-2020 at 09:20 AM..

Old 11-20-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wait...Which one is it? I’m asking given the amount of money put into the Buffalo area for investments.
Our taxes and your’s spend on a facility that is doing poorly. buffalo billions scam

Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 AM

Cuomo with his smart ass comments about WNY.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:03 PM

16,494 posts, read 17,106,122 times
The land of “No”

EVERYTHING is regulated and taxed or has fees.
Permits for everything. If you want to, you can’t.
If you you think you can, don’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York