U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 06:10 PM

69,569 posts, read 96,410,614 times

Advertisements

From the Albany Business Review: “ New York state legislators plan to pass a bill that would extend the state's residential eviction moratorium until May 1, 2021, and strengthen laws for renters and homeowners suffering hardship due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The bill, which is expected to pass during a special session on Monday, would put a temporary stay on evictions and residential mortgage foreclosures until May 1 if renters and homeowners can show financial hardship due to the pandemic has kept them from paying their mortgage or rent.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo first announced a state moratorium on residential and commercial evictions on March 20 and has extended the moratorium several times. Residential landlords have said nonpaying tenants have made it difficult to continue paying bills such as taxes, utilities, mortgages and maintenance.

Cuomo said Monday he would sign an executive order expanding the residential eviction moratorium until May 1. But the state legislature bill goes beyond what Cuomo's order protects for tenants and allows for protections for small residential landlords and homeowners as well.“

More here: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...expansion.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 07:26 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,406,176 times
This is why I don’t own any rentals in NY. In my primary state of business we get people out in 18 days. Foreclosures are being sold daily.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:34 AM

14,385 posts, read 7,978,101 times
For every needy person helped here there will be 2 grifters taking advantage and then bailing next summer without paying anything.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:55 AM

2,482 posts, read 779,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
For every needy person helped here there will be 2 grifters taking advantage and then bailing next summer without paying anything.
Exactly....and where does this leave the landlord/property owner? To the best of my knowledge, the landlord is REQUIRED to supply water and heat to the tenants, as well as pay the property taxes to the city and state. Yes, I know that this pandemic has caused hardships for the workers that lost their jobs, but who covers the landlord/property owner's costs, when there's no rent money coming in?

I highly doubt that EVERY property owner has deep enough pockets to continue to pay OUT, with no money coming IN, and in some cases, their tenants may never recover, financially, themselves.....

Old 12-29-2020, 06:56 AM

3,220 posts, read 2,154,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Exactly....and where does this leave the landlord/property owner? To the best of my knowledge, the landlord is REQUIRED to supply water and heat to the tenants, as well as pay the property taxes to the city and state. Yes, I know that this pandemic has caused hardships for the workers that lost their jobs, but who covers the landlord/property owner's costs, when there's no rent money coming in?

I highly doubt that EVERY property owner has deep enough pockets to continue to pay OUT, with no money coming IN, and in some cases, their tenants may never recover, financially, themselves.....

In the end, this will have the opposite effect. Rents will rise. More intense screening of tenants. Maybe fewer small landlords creating a housing shortage.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:25 PM

17,745 posts, read 21,039,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I get a warm feeling everytime I see an evicted family with kids living out of a rusty van, knowing that those grifters are out there somewhere, too. Probably breaking into garages.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:35 PM

3,220 posts, read 2,154,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I get a warm feeling everytime I see an evicted family with kids living out of a rusty van, knowing that those grifters are out there somewhere, too. Probably breaking into garages.

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs. Why would a company locate in NYS? They can't wait to tax you to death.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:55 AM

2,482 posts, read 779,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs. Why would a company locate in NYS? They can't wait to tax you to death.
Completely understand your point......However, sometimes you just have to deal with it. I've been in western NY for almost 65 years, coming here as a youngster, when my father's employer brought him here. I grew up here, made friends here, got a good education which led to a decent job here. Met my wife here, bought a house here.

Now that I'm retired, I've considered leaving, as yes, the cost of living is high, and getting higher, and the Government is trying to choke the freedom out of us, taking advantage of this Covid deal. But my wife is a "lifer" here, and she's not interested in leaving. I'm a life-long car enthusiast, and I look at all the cars, tools, and parts that I've accumulated, both in the garage and basement, that would have to be packed up and moved, and I simply say, "Fugeddaboutit", I'm too old to move............

Old 01-01-2021, 07:41 AM

3,529 posts, read 1,340,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
This is why I don’t own any rentals in NY. In my primary state of business we get people out in 18 days. Foreclosures are being sold daily.
And what is your state doing with all the people that they allowed to become homeless during the COVID-19 pandemic?

In NYC, you would have thousands, if not millions, of men women and children living in the street if that was allowed.

I dont see why NY doesnt have a moritorium on property taxes if they arent going to give landlords any other form of relief - well, actually I do, the government would probably have to shut down.

Our Governor claimed he would legalize recreational marijuana during his last campaign. Might be a good idea to shift that multi-million dollar income from criminals to the state to provide some economic relief, as well as, prove he can keep his word...I'm just saying.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 01-01-2021 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-01-2021, 09:54 AM

2,051 posts, read 1,406,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
And what is your state doing with all the people that they allowed to become homeless during the COVID-19 pandemic?

In NYC, you would have thousands, if not millions, of men women and children living in the street if that was allowed.

I dont see why NY doesnt have a moritorium on property taxes if they arent going to give landlords any other form of relief - well, actually I do, the government would probably have to shut down.

Our Governor claimed he would legalize recreational marijuana during his last campaign. Might be a good idea to shift that multi-million dollar income from criminals to the state to provide some economic relief, as well as, prove he can keep his word...I'm just saying.
Honestly I have no idea what they do with them nor do I care. The county wants its tax $$ so I need my rent $$. There should be a tax deferral interest free for landlords that aren’t collecting rent. I live on Long Island, the landscape of rentals in NY state is insane. All tenant protection none for the landlord.

Dictator cuomo is going to have no choice, weed and sports gambling will have to be legalized. People will revolt if he raises taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: