Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 01:43 PM

5,687 posts, read 4,088,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Due to the reporting person. That is why that is very important as well.

I don't know if it is modeling it strictly based upon a college system, but in terms of structure and perhaps other aspects of the department that they aren't fully equipped to deal with right now. That in a sense, actually takes much of the responsibility off of the officers in terms of playing the role of mental health officer as well and put more on the layers that are already in place.

You are very trusting. It could be an ambush, or there may be someone in the vicinity that get's involved. As usual, this has too many what ifs to not have concerns, especially in this day where the citizens expect 100% accountability. Another layer is not what's needed. Another budget item, another opportunity for something to go wrong and another opportunity for government corruption
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 01:59 PM

961 posts, read 2,502,952 times
..I DO GET that there could be merit in having a trained(obviously paid) mental healthy professional available for 911 calls..etc..to accompany or meet up with LEOS to assist in potentially deescalating a situation. One immediate problem..$$ to have a group of these professionals on call 24/7. How would smaller, tightly funded agencies afford this? But the idea of sending one of these people in first to a call..that could ramp up to a dangerous situation?..Bad Idea.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:10 PM

..and to follow up on what JWRocks said...what if?...what if during the interaction of a social health professional..the situation suddenly turns violent...and this person is injured or killed? Do a fix on the fix like arming this professional?....it's a nice idea frought with a LOT of bad possibilities/outcomes.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:30 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
^Well, the current situation has also had bad outcomes. So, there needs to be some type of solution to the current bad outcomes. Again, I wouldn't necessarily say to put said mental health staff members out strictly alone, but de-escalation either needs to be an important part of training with EDP's or there may need to be some type of accompanying with officers in order to prevent them from getting caught up in another situation like those that have occurred. If they didn't occur, then we aren't even discussing this and this happens even in the private sector when something goes awry. I think the key has to be to have EVERYONE get to where they want to be after the incident happens.

Old 02-25-2021, 03:35 PM

19,037 posts, read 13,951,921 times
...except they don't occur at remotely anywhere near the rate being portrayed by the leftist media, and the only people hurt by these ridiculous reactionary policies are the good citizens of our nation who will no longer enjoy the overwhelmingly rapid, efficient and safe response of professional police officers.

Trust me when I say that none of this hurts cops. Their jobs are becoming increasingly easier. Almost makes me regret retiring. Lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-25-2021, 03:38 PM

^That is the irony. Reform may actually make things easier for officers, as some of the load appears to be taken off of them. Yes, a lot of these cases may not be the normal interaction, but as mentioned, just like anything in any sector, if there is an incident that occurs that goes awry, there are going to be changes made.

Old 02-25-2021, 03:39 PM

19,037 posts, read 13,951,921 times
It's a shame rationality is a rare thing nowadays.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-25-2021, 04:27 PM

LEOS I stay in touch with, are increasingly reluctant to act....is the traffic stop worth getting "whatever" from that driver with the sick look and the uncontrollable cough?...will some simple mistake on their part make them the next unfortunate "Youtube star"?....In light of all of this and more, I dissuaded my son from considering a career in law enforcement(upon his discharge from the Army). Had He been this age at this point..say..20 years ago..I would have been behind a decision to enter law enforcement...but not now....

Old 02-25-2021, 04:43 PM

More on this specific topic, which offers more clarity: https://ithacavoice.com/2021/02/myri...eform-package/

https://youtu.be/9gZFQwE2ghQ

Old 02-25-2021, 05:34 PM

5,687 posts, read 4,088,934 times
I like #11

Develop a County-wide program to promote and support holistic officer wellness.

Only in Ithaca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York