Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 06:42 AM

92,069 posts, read 122,262,393 times

Advertisements

^Just a guess, but I could see places like Horseheads(village & town), Big Flats(solidly middle class suburb I believe split between Horseheads and Corning SD’s), Corning(inc. surrounding communities like Gang Mills and Painted Post) and maybe West Elmira(solidly middle class suburb in the Elmira City SD), among a few others in the Elmira-Corning area(s) of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 11:23 AM

954 posts, read 2,486,161 times
Default ....confirming your guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^Just a guess, but I could see places like Horseheads(village & town), Big Flats(solidly middle class suburb I believe split between Horseheads and Corning SD’s), Corning(inc. surrounding communities like Gang Mills and Painted Post) and maybe West Elmira(solidly middle class suburb in the Elmira City SD), among a few others in the Elmira-Corning area(s) of the region.
I know some folks in Campbell, NY...just west of Corning a bit...which doesn't see much in the way of property changes..even in that small town..property sales have been brisk.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:46 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,797,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
...NY has been losing people to other states.That is true. But there has been movement of the kind I mentioned in previous comments in this thread. I have met a number of "pilgrims" from Ct. , NYC. LI, NJ, Philly, who have as a priority in a vacation, retirement(especially), or 2nd home...a reasonable drive/time wise..back to family in the afore mentioned places. For some its a doable drive to a train station, bus line, or drive, to a job in the metro area. This need puts my area beyond the practical range of those commuting on a daily basis. I do think upstate NY is still a bargain for purchasers...though prices have risen since everything got upended last spring. A friend of mine from the Army lives in Idaho. He has been shaking his head at the outrageous prices now being paid for rural Idaho property by..mostly..Californians. Maybe that negative image of NY has worked to keep prices reasonable?....just some additional thoughts on my original posting.

It is. Times are changing rapidly and everything is upended. When there's no bargains left in the Southern states, NY will grow again. Just my opinion of what is going to happen, but I think there's going to be movement to northern states again. When a 1 bed / 1 bath in Nashville costs $500k, plus $427 a month in HOA fees AND the property taxes are $4326, you're approaching Brooklyn-level costs: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M75627-80026

I see a shift "back to the land" and back to small town, small city America, which I think is great. Or at least I hope that is what happens. There needs to be some investment and ability for small business to thrive and I hope it will. Maybe that will save this country. I hope so anyway. It will be a bleak future with only Walmart and Amazon selling us things made in China. But I digress. Overall what I mean is I hope this is an opportunity for places like Elmira, Binghamton, Jamestown etc to maybe make a small comeback and be vital once again as alternative, affordable places for people.

I live in a small town and my house has increased in value by 30% over the last year, and no one cared about living here 2 years ago but now I get people from NYC and other places offering me cash for my house. But I'm not selling because then I have to buy and I'm in the same boat as the New Yorkers. Small-town, countryside living is wonderful and I have no plans to leave.

When I retire though, NY is on the list. With better government officials, NY will shine again . I want to retire on a lake, in the mountains, and few places in the US have more opportunities, for a good price, than NY State (or perhaps Maine). Idaho, Montana, Washington- all being priced out. A place like this is all me and my wife need or ever want, to retire at 55 or so. Nice summers on the lake, boating and fishing, and hunkering down in the winter, maybe going snow-mobiling. That's all I want to do! No gated communities in hot places on dammed lakes for me! https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M40955-59225

With NJ now being cheaper than places like Denver, Austin, Nashville, etc., I'll stay here and make a good salary, tend to my garden and continue to hone my cooking and mechanical skills. Keep life simple and enjoy the rural countryside I live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York